Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Equlvilant Exchange?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

i'm a dork.
  why yes, yes you are.
  your not a dork
  i like FMA to but your right they took alchemy at face value.
View Results

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 pm
some of you may recall this phrase from FMA. which has the misinformed idea of alchemist in the manga/anime. but the way they explain it feels sorta true.

For Humankind to obtain anything, some thing of equal value must be lost.

this just popped in my head when i first herd it a long time ago. and i was thinking: what if something similar happens when we use real world magic?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:29 pm
How do you determine "equal value"?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:39 pm
good question! well, when you think about reincarnation you exchange death for new life. or if someone gave you a gift, like a fancy wand they made for you. wouldn't your first thought be like "oh wow that was very thoughtful! i should get them something too!" right?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:44 pm
Lux Excelsior
good question! well, when you think about reincarnation you exchange death for new life. or if someone gave you a gift, like a fancy wand they made for you. wouldn't your first thought be like "oh wow that was very thoughtful! i should get them something too!" right?

Not really. If someone gave me a fancy wand they made for me, I'd feel gratitude for their thoughts- but I'd wonder why they were giving me a wand- I'm not initiated and I don't use it in my religion.

It also depends on my relationship with them- it might be too much of a gift for how I feel about them. There are lots of factors- most are second nature.

And I don't think Reincarnation works like an exchange in that way- for a start, it's missing the beginning of the cycle: Love.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:47 pm
Esiris
Lux Excelsior

Not really. If someone gave me a fancy wand they made for me, I'd feel gratitude for their thoughts- but I'd wonder why they were giving me a wand- I'm not initiated and I don't use it in my religion.

It also depends on my relationship with them- it might be too much of a gift for how I feel about them. There are lots of factors- most are second nature.

And I don't think Reincarnation works like an exchange in that way- for a start, it's missing the beginning of the cycle: Love.
ah.....o~O well...yeah... -facepalm- i'm such a dork...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm
Lux Excelsior
No need to feel bad.
I just don't see the world that way.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:13 pm
Esiris
Lux Excelsior
No need to feel bad.
I just don't see the world that way.
i feel bad because most of the time i don't feel like i even know what i'm talking about... am i just doubting myself? possibility. maybe i should think it over a bit and jot down my beliefs and compare them to Wicca and see if any of it matches up. i'm not realy good at explaining to others...if someone starts firing questions at me like i'm the man whom organized Wicca in the first place. i get tensed up and i think more on how to word it then then what my answer is... the hardest question to answer would be "what kind of wiccain are you?" i say i'm solitary since i've never been in a coven nor properly group dedicated. i dedicated myself and now i'm doubting myself again...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm
Lux Excelsior
i feel bad because most of the time i don't feel like i even know what i'm talking about... am i just doubting myself? possibility.
Everyone feels that- usually at several points in their journey. I've been on this path for a long time and I still think that sometimes. Don't let that get you down.

Quote:
maybe i should think it over a bit and jot down my beliefs and compare them to Wicca and see if any of it matches up.

Wicca isn't really about beliefs as much as it's about the Mysteries you experience.
You might want to read the sticky in the main forum- it has a lot of good information on Wicca.

Quote:
the hardest question to answer would be "what kind of wiccain are you?" i say i'm solitary since i've never been in a coven nor properly group dedicated. i dedicated myself and now i'm doubting myself again...

I think the answer that would be better suited is Seeker- but like I said, read the sticky. There's a lot to learn.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:37 pm
Esiris
Lux Excelsior
i feel bad because most of the time i don't feel like i even know what i'm talking about... am i just doubting myself? possibility.
Everyone feels that- usually at several points in their journey. I've been on this path for a long time and I still think that sometimes. Don't let that get you down.

Quote:
maybe i should think it over a bit and jot down my beliefs and compare them to Wicca and see if any of it matches up.

Wicca isn't really about beliefs as much as it's about the Mysteries you experience.
You might want to read the sticky in the main forum- it has a lot of good information on Wicca.

Quote:
the hardest question to answer would be "what kind of wiccain are you?" i say i'm solitary since i've never been in a coven nor properly group dedicated. i dedicated myself and now i'm doubting myself again...

I think the answer that would be better suited is Seeker- but like I said, read the sticky. There's a lot to learn.
if that's the case, then i shall read the sticky. thanks.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:49 pm
Lux Excelsior
if that's the case, then i shall read the sticky. thanks.
You're welcome. Good luck!  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games