Submit

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:15 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel: My original choice was a Marlin Xs7, that has a similar trigger style to the one you suggested. I'm not sure if it's available in .223 since their site won't load and forum posting popping up are only of people asking many months ago if it would be in .223 any time soon. But I'm still open to the ideas of more expensive models. The Marlin is a 5+1, and I think the Savage is 4+1, but would probably be harder to reload quickly unless I got more magazine, and I don't even know if those would be sold separately. The Marlin doesn't come pre-drilled and tapped, so yeah, I'd have to get that done. Dunno about the SMLE. I've never thought about it, and was looking more into Wal Mart calibers.

EDIT: I'm wrong. The 336 has a 6+1 capacity and does come pre-drilled and tapped. But I still can't come up with a clear answer to which one the 336C is and which the 336W is. One supposedly has a nicer finish and wood for $100 more and that's not really necessary.

Recon: I do love FALs, but they're somewhat expensive and I would go through .308 with them pretty fast. I don't want to scope my nugget because that would be insulting to it. All the M1As I'm seeing run over a thousand dollars, some over three. No thanks.

Valkyrie: I don't really like ARs that much, really.
The Xs7 comes in 7mm-08, .243, and .308, according to their website, so no .223 yet.

They're a bit more difficult to find, but post-1960ish, Ishapore Arsenal reworked their production lines to make the Mk. III* in .308, labeling it the 2A, and around the same time, the UK reworked the Mk. 4, calling it the L8. On the other hand, Special Interest Arms is selling re-worked No. 4s in 7.62x39, and taking AK magazines, for $500. I've got no idea how accurate that would be, but it sounds like a solid competitor. Or if you're willing to wait a few years, like I plan to, Australian International Arms is selling their No. 4 Mk. 4, though it hasn't hit the US yet. Rumor has it it's because some of the parts are manufactured in Vietnam or something like that... trade embargo bullshit.

...But that's all .308, except the x39. It's tough to find an inexpensive bolt gun in .223. Remington makes most of their 700's in .223, though, but they're all over $600 MSRP.

Now you've made me want my own frankengun, but it involves the heresy of crippling an AR to become a straight-pull bolt. xd
And you can't name that .50 caliber AR in the Name that Gun thread. Even after you mention straight pull bolts.

Straight pull bolts are good only on large caliber AR style snipers. A straight pull on .223 or .308 is just ******** stupid.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel: My original choice was a Marlin Xs7, that has a similar trigger style to the one you suggested. I'm not sure if it's available in .223 since their site won't load and forum posting popping up are only of people asking many months ago if it would be in .223 any time soon. But I'm still open to the ideas of more expensive models. The Marlin is a 5+1, and I think the Savage is 4+1, but would probably be harder to reload quickly unless I got more magazine, and I don't even know if those would be sold separately. The Marlin doesn't come pre-drilled and tapped, so yeah, I'd have to get that done. Dunno about the SMLE. I've never thought about it, and was looking more into Wal Mart calibers.

EDIT: I'm wrong. The 336 has a 6+1 capacity and does come pre-drilled and tapped. But I still can't come up with a clear answer to which one the 336C is and which the 336W is. One supposedly has a nicer finish and wood for $100 more and that's not really necessary.

Recon: I do love FALs, but they're somewhat expensive and I would go through .308 with them pretty fast. I don't want to scope my nugget because that would be insulting to it. All the M1As I'm seeing run over a thousand dollars, some over three. No thanks.

The Xs7 comes in 7mm-08, .243, and .308, according to their website, so no .223 yet.

They're a bit more difficult to find, but post-1960ish, Ishapore Arsenal reworked their production lines to make the Mk. III* in .308, labeling it the 2A, and around the same time, the UK reworked the Mk. 4, calling it the L8. On the other hand, Special Interest Arms is selling re-worked No. 4s in 7.62x39, and taking AK magazines, for $500. I've got no idea how accurate that would be, but it sounds like a solid competitor. Or if you're willing to wait a few years, like I plan to, Australian International Arms is selling their No. 4 Mk. 4, though it hasn't hit the US yet. Rumor has it it's because some of the parts are manufactured in Vietnam or something like that... trade embargo bullshit.

...But that's all .308, except the x39. It's tough to find an inexpensive bolt gun in .223. Remington makes most of their 700's in .223, though, but they're all over $600 MSRP.

Now you've made me want my own frankengun, but it involves the heresy of crippling an AR to become a straight-pull bolt. xd
And you can't name that .50 caliber AR in the Name that Gun thread. Even after you mention straight pull bolts.

Straight pull bolts are good only on large caliber AR style snipers. A straight pull on .223 or .308 is just ******** stupid.
I figure if I don't know it offhand or can't see a clue in the picture to go off of, looking it up cold is cheating. I saw the thing once in Cabela's, but didn't notice the brand or model name.

Have you ever seen a Biathalon rifle? And pray tell, besides the obvious caliber and the restrictions that come with that, what's the difference between a .50BMG sniper rifle and any other?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:06 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

I figure if I don't know it offhand or can't see a clue in the picture to go off of, looking it up cold is cheating. I saw the thing once in Cabela's, but didn't notice the brand or model name.

Have you ever seen a Biathalon rifle? And pray tell, besides the obvious caliber and the restrictions that come with that, what's the difference between a .50BMG sniper rifle and any other?

biathalon rifles are generally traditional bolt actions.

Restrictions? Such as operation? What kind of question is this?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Anschütz biathalon rifles use a special straight-pull bolt-action... in this video, Uwe Anschütz demonstrates it.

Restrictions mostly based on the round being ******** massive, including recoil reduction like muzzle brakes and recoil springs, and thick chambers built to prevent massive kB!. Mostly these result in weight, but other than these things, there's really no difference between a .50 cal and any other rifle. You could in theory build a downsized M107 in .300 WinMag or .308.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:01 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Anschütz biathalon rifles use a special straight-pull bolt-action... in this video, Uwe Anschütz demonstrates it.

Restrictions mostly based on the round being ******** massive, including recoil reduction like muzzle brakes and recoil springs, and thick chambers built to prevent massive kB!. Mostly these result in weight, but other than these things, there's really no difference between a .50 cal and any other rifle. You could in theory build a downsized M107 in .300 WinMag or .308.
But there's not as much range potential with a .300 WM.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:14 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter

But there's not as much range potential with a .300 WM.
The same could be said for .308, and yet .308 sniper rifles are probably the most common.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out