Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Who else is a writer? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:27 pm
I've tried writing but I always end up abandoning my projects because of
A) School
B) Finding out someone else has already written something like it
C) My own nitpicking over stuff
D) Reading other people's writing

I also have an innate distrust of spellcheck on any computer.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:39 pm
i have even been to writers' workshops and so on.

one was led by Jane Yolen; she was funny and wise.

but she said she went to an exclusive prep school where she had a friend whose father became her publisher, and another friend became her agent, which i found discouraging.

it seems like it IS who you know, after all....  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Xanaduhaz

Blessed Shade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 am
I have written short stories ever since I was small, when I was 6 - 7 ish I remember writing a story about a run away police car even doing illustrations for it and everything on folded up bits of paper! Since then I have written a few short stories for fun and for school work. Also when I was younger I was into writting poetry, I had many notebooks of the stuff!
My dream is to be an author (though everyone around me tells me it isn't a 'proper' job so concentrate on other career paths). Unfortunatly I struggle to stick with one story idea and follow it through, I dont even get to the point of writing chapters, just the basic plot line and details. I find I dont have much time either to concentrate on them.
I seem to get stuck on the little details such as character personalities etc and have notebooks and word documents full of them for differnt stories. I want to make my stories as convincing as possible (even if they are fantasy / sci fi).
So have about 3 'main' ideas that if I worked on long enough I would love to become novels they are all are based on earth, two ar based in the future and one in the present time ish. So in a way the could be a bit similar but each story has completely different elements from a form of pergatory in one to wizards and witches being persecuted in another.
I could go on and on about this topic as writing is a passion of mine and this post would be ridiculously long but unfortunatly the way things are going writing will probably remain a hobby.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:37 pm
i hope you make it, Xanaduhaz

and remember me once you do! wink  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

TJ Moon

4,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • First step to fame 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:11 am
ContrabassClarinetist
A) School

I had that something similar happen to me. Came up with a world called Animalia where the animals all walk and talk like humans. I was planning to send a couple of kids to save the day, as usual, until . . . .

Dad: hey, have you heard of this new tv show?
me: you have got to be kidding me.

Animalia (the tv series, you can google it) had it all. It had walking talking animals and two kids saving the day. I never would have though of core spores but nontheless it was enough to make me realise that it si extremely hard to come up with original ideas.

Note to all writers: Google it before you mark it as your own. You will be surprised as to who has already thought it up before you did.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:43 pm
TJ Moon
ContrabassClarinetist
A) School

I had that something similar happen to me. Came up with a world called Animalia where the animals all walk and talk like humans. I was planning to send a couple of kids to save the day, as usual, until . . . .

Dad: hey, have you heard of this new tv show?
me: you have got to be kidding me.

Animalia (the tv series, you can google it) had it all. It had walking talking animals and two kids saving the day. I never would have though of core spores but nontheless it was enough to make me realise that it si extremely hard to come up with original ideas.

Note to all writers: Google it before you mark it as your own. You will be surprised as to who has already thought it up before you did.

aww!

i have heard that sometimes people in different countries who had no idea what the other was doing both invented the same thing at the same time.

it seems odd but maybe it is because the time is ripe for that creation or something.

note to all writers: send out copies of your creations promptly to your friends, marked with copyright, and you may get to the goal ahead of those other guys!

(c) beaulolais 2012  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Thrain Okensheild

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:07 am
I too have dabbled in the scribbling. Hehe, beaulolais makes a good point. Even when I first started drawing or writing make sure you copyright it. They way things are going it is a wise idea. I even copyrighted my art for this forum. Under a pseudonym.

Maybe I will post some of it up to see what you think. Maybe. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm
i have seen some of your arts, Thrain, i believe, back when we had a special interests section to our forum?

and they were excellent, full of drama and detail  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:09 pm
Roleplaying, roleplaying, roleplaying. Did I mention that I love roleplaying?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 pm
Kor the 6th KIRA
Roleplaying, roleplaying, roleplaying. Did I mention that I love roleplaying?

we used to have good RP here on this forum.

it would be nice to start one up again, if we could agree on the setting and rules and so on.  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:37 pm
I'd be game for that. I kinda would like to try my hand at collaborative storytelling again.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am
beaulolais
i have seen some of your arts, Thrain, i believe, back when we had a special interests section to our forum?

and they were excellent, full of drama and detail

Why yes, yes, we did. Ha, a long time ago! And thank you.  

Thrain Okensheild

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:45 pm
ContrabassClarinetist
I'd be game for that. I kinda would like to try my hand at collaborative storytelling again.

would it be ok to just start an rp thread and see what happens? we could do it as a topic right here with the other topics.

what does Sita say?

should the mods talk it over?  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:54 pm
I have a feeling they won't mind one bit if we started a thread.  

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:47 pm
well all righty then, one has been started.  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff