Submit

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 pm
its pissing me off and wont stay put. sure the whole thing stays together but im getting the feeling that it's grinding itself down against the upper receiver.

it's been doing this for quite some time now...

anyway to fix this besides the obvious replacement? I know theyre dirt cheap but im broke as ******** at the moment

this problem came about when I installed a new badger ordinance latch  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 pm
Loc-Tite? A sliver of masking tape?

I did break the rear sight roll pin on my AR when I first got it, and for months I had simply replaced it with a piece of paper clip. Maybe you could do the same?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:43 am
Fresnel

I did break the rear sight roll pin on my AR when I first got it, and for months I had simply replaced it with a piece of paper clip. Maybe you could do the same?
well its not necessarily a problem yet, its just annoying and it worries me that when I need it it's gonna ******** up and ill be at risk from a loose charging handle propelled by gas or whatever hitting me in the face.

it just looks like it might ******** up eventually.

its a bit of a tight squeeze for a paper clip or even tape, and I dont think I have any locktite

I did try removing the pin and tried to widen it out but that didnt work so well and I almost lost it. It looks like it got shorter from grinding at the bottom

whenever I can afford it im prolly getting the most rough use charging handle possible, and some anti walk pins for my FCG

that way nothing comes loose.
much as it pisses me off I have to say that I never have to worry about these kind of things with my commie guns... gah

rivets > pins  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:11 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

well its not necessarily a problem yet, its just annoying and it worries me that when I need it it's gonna ******** up and ill be at risk from a loose charging handle propelled by gas or whatever hitting me in the face.

its a bit of a tight squeeze for a paper clip or even tape, and I dont think I have any locktite

I did try removing the pin and tried to widen it out but that didnt work so well and I almost lost it. It looks like it got shorter from grinding at the bottom

whenever I can afford it im prolly getting the most rough use charging handle possible, and some anti walk pins for my FCG

much as it pisses me off I have to say that I never have to worry about these kind of things with my commie guns... gah

rivets > pins
If it was a rivet, you'd have never been able to replace the part and cause the problem in the first place. wink

If you can scrounge five bucks, there's always this.

ETA: ******** that, this one's only fifty cents.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:02 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

rivets > pins
If it was a rivet, you'd have never been able to replace the part and cause the problem in the first place. wink

well the thing about rivets is that they dont come loose in the first place so its never a factor..... its permanently affixed so such problems as loose pins are non existent...

charging handle roll pins can be had for like 60 cents, its just a matter of shipping. it would be a good idea to keep random AR pins around for such events  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:50 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

rivets > pins

well the thing about rivets is that they dont come loose in the first place so its never a factor..... its permanently affixed so such problems as loose pins are non existent...

charging handle roll pins can be had for like 60 cents, its just a matter of shipping. it would be a good idea to keep random AR pins around for such events
By your own admission the roll pin was working fine until YOU replaced the latch with a Badger Tactical latch. If you hadn't ******** with it, it'd still work fine. If it were a rivet, nobody would make a replacement latch for it, so there'd be no reason to ******** with it, and it would still work fine. It's a textbook example of "well, it worked fine until you fixed it!"

Shipping on that is about six bucks. Dunno if you can spare that, but there it is. If not, I'unno... just don't shoot it until you can afford to fix it?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:17 pm
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

rivets > pins

By your own admission the roll pin was working fine until YOU replaced the latch with a Badger Tactical latch. If you hadn't ******** with it, it'd still work fine. If it were a rivet, nobody would make a replacement latch for it, so there'd be no reason to ******** with it, and it would still work fine. It's a textbook example of "well, it worked fine until you fixed it!"

Shipping on that is about six bucks. Dunno if you can spare that, but there it is. If not, I'unno... just don't shoot it until you can afford to fix it?
I didnt fix anything.

just put on a bigger latch... it didnt come with a new roll pin so that was the problem.

re using parts like that is usually not the best thing but it was all I had on hand.
ill replace it whenever but its not so critical that it cant be fired, worst case scenario if it ever does come off I can keep the carrier locked to the rear and the charging handle duct taped to the receiver so it doesnt move.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games