Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm
uryu ishida
I can say that having owned an early 2010 Henry and hating the s**t out of it. I liked the Papoose much better. The case gives you much more options, and it's not like it's a ********' mosin-sized case. It's tiny. it's barely wider than the little folding plastic crap that the AR-7 comes in. The 70-P comes out to be a much thinner rifle with a metal barrel from the factory. The case also means you can take more than two mags. On in the gun and one in the stock. Only the 10 round will fit in the stock.
And if you keep the Papoose assembled for six months and then go to put it away, abrakadabra, the case has disappeared. Not so with the AR. It's part of the ******** gun.

Also, I hear many stories about "I ******** HATE MY AR-7" and stories about "my AR-7 is pretty good," but more of the latter than the former. If I had all the money in the world, Henry made a pretty bad-a** takedown lever-action that I'd totally go for, but I don't, and they discontinued that model 25 years ago in favor of the Golden Boy.

Oh, also also, did you have the black/silver/camo model, or the newer grey model?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:30 pm
uryu ishida
I can say that having owned an early 2010 Henry and hating the s**t out of it. I liked the Papoose much better. The case gives you much more options, and it's not like it's a ********' mosin-sized case. It's tiny. it's barely wider than the little folding plastic crap that the AR-7 comes in. The 70-P comes out to be a much thinner rifle with a metal barrel from the factory. The case also means you can take more than two mags. On in the gun and one in the stock. Only the 10 round will fit in the stock.
I will never ever ever buy another martin in my life time.  

IDK WTF Im Doing

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:57 pm
I've heard that the Henry model is slightly different from the other models so it could be when the Henry model is the piece of crap while the ones made by Armalite and Charter Arms are much better.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
I've heard that the Henry model is slightly different from the other models so it could be when the Henry model is the piece of crap while the ones made by Armalite and Charter Arms are much better.
I've heard the same, but all the official reviewers have (favorably) reviewed the Henry, and the Henry is still in production, so I would think it was one of the older (and thus discontinued) manufacturers that sucked. Maybe whoever took over between Charter and Henry? I think there was an interim supplier there.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 pm
According to wikipedia from 1990 to 1997 Survival Arms made the rifle and AR-7 Industries produced the rifle from 98 till 04 when Armalite bought them out.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
And if you keep the Papoose assembled for six months and then go to put it away, abrakadabra, the case has disappeared. Not so with the AR. It's part of the ******** gun.

Also, I hear many stories about "I ******** HATE MY AR-7" and stories about "my AR-7 is pretty good," but more of the latter than the former. If I had all the money in the world, Henry made a pretty bad-a** takedown lever-action that I'd totally go for, but I don't, and they discontinued that model 25 years ago in favor of the Golden Boy.

Oh, also also, did you have the black/silver/camo model, or the newer grey model?
You don't store it assembled, that's what a plain Model 70 is for. Just like you won't normally store the AR-7 assembled.
I have enough cases for almost all of my firearms. Even my Mosins. I keep track of them, because they are useful for getting them to the range. I even kept track of the crap plastic box that my AR-7 came in, though it stayed in the closet. I even still have a couple boxes knocking around in the closet.

Silver. The only difference I can spot in the "black only" model is the teflon and there are weaver-like cutouts on the scope rail. Which has been there, but they are talking about again because they put serrations on it. I really like some of the claims about balance and such, when the rifle is offset to the right in the stock.

And ******** you too Henry, the M6 was used about a hundred million times more often than the AR-7. I would kill for a modern production one in .22WMR rather than .22LR or .22Hornet.

My bad-a** takedown is my 39A. If I'm bugging out with a .22, I'm taking that. Bigger, heavier, but much more accurate and in the thousands upon thousands of rounds I've put through it, 100% mechanically reliable.  

uryu ishida

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 pm
just saying... buy a papoose or a revolver and regret NOTHING.

the AR7's feedback makes it sound like a risky investment

theres evidence that a lot of them don't feed and dont do so well with accuracy and theres reports of some of them working ok. too many mixed reviews  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:48 am
Recon_Ninja_985

theres evidence that a lot of them don't feed and dont do so well with accuracy and theres reports of some of them working ok. too many mixed reviews
I think the problem is that there are eighty different manufacturers and nobody ever tells who made theirs. It's like saying "my 1911 sucks balls! It jams all the damn time!" "Well mine works like a dream, I dunno what your problem is."  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:57 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

I think the problem is that there are eighty different manufacturers and nobody ever tells who made theirs. It's like saying "my 1911 sucks balls! It jams all the damn time!" "Well mine works like a dream, I dunno what your problem is."
Sounds like it. I will back up the Charter Arms one though. It's reliable so if anyone is interested in getting one keep an eye out for Charter Arms.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985

it's not the manufacturer it's the design in general, just isnt the best out there.... it's been through probably a dozen manufaturers and virtually all of them gave up making them after only a short time. now henry has taken up the AR7 and it's probably only a matter of time before they stop making them too.

I heard something about armalite repurchasing them but idk

not a design that stays around for very long with a manufacturer...  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 am
As I stated before Charter Arms made it for 17 years. That's not a "short term" production to me. Sure it's not a really long run like the Marlin 60 but it's still a pretty good run. Henry's been making them since 97 which is a 13 year run. Once again not very long but not a "short term" either. Armalite made them for 14 years. AR-7 Industries had a production run of 6 years before being bought out by Armalite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-7

Anyway I just remembered I heard someone had a problem with jamming so they took a .223 bullet, covered it in sand or something, and carefully ground away at the breech of the barrel and this supposedly solved the jamming problem.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff