Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Solitary with a few questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxCrack_OrangexX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 pm
So recently I have been looking into the Wiccan religion, because I have been interested since middle school and I always secretly believed in spells.
A few questions I have so far in my research...

1. Who are the gods and goddesses of this religion? From a book I read there is the Goddess and the God, but other sources say that there are more than two.

2. In Wicca, do you make up your own traditions or follow others? How do you know which is more reliable?

3. I would like some personal advice on being a solitary wiccan.

I know this is general type stuff but I am new at this and any advice for a beginner would be appreciated  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:35 pm
well, hello there ^-^ let ol' Lux help ya out. i'm not Wiccan but i know a little non-oath bound stuff about it. i suggest you read the Wicca stickies in the main forum.

questions must be answered so let's get this show on the road shall we?

1. Wicca is a duletheistic fertility cult which consist of two main gods. their names are oath bound but they are often called the Goddess and the God.

2. you follow the one that is already set. i don't know much about the practices.

3.Wicca cannot be practiced alone. you can be however, be a witch in the old since. magic and spells aren't only pertained to Wicca. since Wicca is still in religion since, relatively new. in fact Magic and Divinity are nondenominational...except if your Christian were in their bible they have banned it. (how do i know that? I used to be Baptist but that was a long time ago...)  

-MysticCherri-

Fuzzy Lunatic

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:48 pm
XxCrack_OrangexX
So recently I have been looking into the Wiccan religion, because I have been interested since middle school and I always secretly believed in spells.

Hi there! smile Wicca is one of many forms of religious witchcraft. Additionally, you can practise witchcraft if you're non-religious or of a variety of religions. If it turns out Wicca isn't your cup of tea, you can still maintain your interest in spells. wink

Quote:
1. Who are the gods and goddesses of this religion? From a book I read there is the Goddess and the God, but other sources say that there are more than two.

There is a god and a goddess in Wicca, known as the Lord and Lady of the Isles. However, many Wiccans also believe in gods and goddesses outside of the context of Wicca. Some also maintain worship of these other deities as well, so one can be Wiccan and one can be, e.g., a Roman Pagan, but Roman gods are worshipped in a Roman context, not a Wiccan context.

Quote:
2. In Wicca, do you make up your own traditions or follow others? How do you know which is more reliable?

There are several Traditions of Wicca. Gardnerian was the first. All traditions of Wicca maintain the core practices as set out my Gardner, but they can add to them if they like. They're all reliable, and you know that they are beause they can trace their initiatory lineage from Wiccan to Wiccan back to Gardner, who founded the religion. You can check this lineage with other Wiccans to make sure the person or coven you're speaking with is legit. If they can't trace this lineage, they're not Wiccan.
Quote:

3. I would like some personal advice on being a solitary wiccan.

It's not possible to be a solitary Wiccan. Wicca is a religion practiced in a coven. You can check out the "Use of the Word Wicca" sticky for more information there. You can however be a solitary Neo-Pagan and a solitary Witch, and my advice there is to read a LOT and take everything you read with a grain of salt.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm
I don't mean to argue, but it is possible to be a solitary Wiccan. Scott Cunningham has a couple of books on it, I've done plenty of research and found that it is a challenge, but is indeed possible. And I know I'm not getting Solitary Wiccan mixed up with the terms Neo-pagan or witch. The book was called "Living Wicca, A Further Guide to the Solitary Practicioner" So really, that is the only thing I don't agree with on your post.
Thank you for the help though. I'm going to be expanding my library on Wicca and decide for myself if it's the path I want to follow. Thanks again smile  

XxCrack_OrangexX

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 pm
XxCrack_OrangexX
I don't mean to argue, but it is possible to be a solitary Wiccan. Scott Cunningham has a couple of books on it, I've done plenty of research and found that it is a challenge, but is indeed possible.
And I know I'm not getting Solitary Wiccan mixed up with the terms Neo-pagan or witch. The book was called "Living Wicca, A Further Guide to the Solitary Practicioner" So really, that is the only thing I don't agree with on your post.
Thank you for the help though. I'm going to be expanding my library on Wicca and decide for myself if it's the path I want to follow. Thanks again smile

I do recommend you read the sticky. It will explain why it's not possible to be a solitary Wiccan.

Cunningham's books are about his own tradition of religious witchcraft, "Standing Stone", rather than Wicca. While Cunningham was an initiate, he left soon after his initiation and didn't experience most of what Wicca was. His books - like many other books out there - are mislabeled. Apart from the name, they're pretty good. I quite liked "Living Wicca" and own it myself, I simply don't agree with its subject matter being called "Wicca".  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 am
Sanguina Cruenta
XxCrack_OrangexX
I don't mean to argue, but it is possible to be a solitary Wiccan. Scott Cunningham has a couple of books on it, I've done plenty of research and found that it is a challenge, but is indeed possible.
And I know I'm not getting Solitary Wiccan mixed up with the terms Neo-pagan or witch. The book was called "Living Wicca, A Further Guide to the Solitary Practicioner" So really, that is the only thing I don't agree with on your post.

I do recommend you read the sticky. It will explain why it's not possible to be a solitary Wiccan.

Cunningham's books are about his own tradition of religious witchcraft, "Standing Stone", rather than Wicca. While Cunningham was an initiate, he left soon after his initiation and didn't experience most of what Wicca was. His books - like many other books out there - are mislabeled. Apart from the name, they're pretty good. I quite liked "Living Wicca" and own it myself, I simply don't agree with its subject matter being called "Wicca".

His books are highly helpful for me, and I'm sure everyone who dislikes Silver Rwolf would highly recommend him for a beginner.

I certainly do ^^ His Imbolc ritual is helpful, but I'm gonna add to it. Make it from the heart slightly.

You could call yourself an "Eclectic Neo-Pagan." Which is what would usually define all witches who call themselves Solitary Wiccans. Some may call them self Pagan.

Take a look of what's out there. There's lots of sources, and Scott Cunningham's a good place to start. There are some bad zones, though, so be cautious.

There is a recommended reading thread on here. That should be helpful.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items