Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Sprite Maker?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:03 am
Okay, I could totally be barking up the wrong tree here, but I figured if anyone knew where I could find one of these, I thought they might be here.

Basically, a bunch of my friends and I are making an RPG. I wrote the story, and a friend of mine and I are working on doing concept art for the characters, enemies, items, and locations. However, the next step for us to to work on translating all of that art into sprites, and I've had a bit of trouble finding a sprite maker. I thought of downloading some free RPG making software, but everything I've found just comes with preloaded stuff, and doesn't let me make anything of my own.

So, if someone knows a program we could use for this, I'd really appreciate any help.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:29 pm
Well, as far as spriting generally goes... unless the game engine has it's own tool for the art, you probably would be able to use any graphics editor (MS Paint, Photoshop, GIMP, ect), to make the sprites themselves. If you absolutely had to, you probably also could take pre-existing sprites and use them as a base which to make the sprites you specifically want.

As to my current knowledge, there's no sprite creation-specific program out there that would do what you want to be done.  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

Drake_XIV

Malevolent Duelist

5,850 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • PvP 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 pm
It mainly depends on what you mean by sprite. Do you mean those small pixel-ly ones like the controllable characters in the Pokemon games or a bit more detailed art, like the in-battle Pokemon sprites?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 am
Thanks Bluix, that helps a bit.  

Haratio TaFotter

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas