• Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:08 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
I'm just going to say ******** H&K all together since Fresenl explained to me various flaws.

This would include HK416 since I could probably buy a regular AR-15 and have a manufacturer gunsmite replace the DI with short stroke but I want much more work done with the AR-15 before I could consider it a satisfactory rifle.

VP70 pistol was garbage. Berretta had it going for them with the 93R pistol but it's out of production and damn hard to find. I would consider a modified Glock 18 if Glock didnt already have issues with their barrels shaving unjacketed lead and the integrity of the frame being unsuitable to fire heavy loads and reloads.

What can I say? It has to be absolute perfection.
Both Adams Arms and ATI sell piston conversion kits for a few hundred dollars, in various lengths. From what I hear, it's a really easy install.

For the record, it's the polygonal rifling that ******** with cast lead, and H&K does that too. It results in greater accuracy and longer barrel life, at the cost of cast lead bullets. And it's not the frame that ******** with Glocks, it's the chamber, but it's mostly the .40 cal Glocks that have that problem.
No with every Glock you run the risk of losing a hand if you fire anything other than what the manual states you should shoot out of it.

Whoa they even have piston kits for AR pistols.
If you reload your own s**t, you always run that risk. Glock just doesn't handle the explosion as well as some other brands. Besides that, the only known failing is occasionally a Glock will kB! with .40S&W HydraShok. You won't hear of a Glock kB!ing abnormally except in those two circumstances, and even then reloads aren't exactly abnormal.
I find Glocks too troublesome when I could buy a Berretta.

A 10mm auto Glock is almost worthless to me because it's not like a 1911 based 10mm where I can fire the super heavy loadings from it.
from personal experience, you'll have more trouble with a beretta than a glock or glock-like pistol.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:52 pm
Wait a second so these problems with Glock firing other than recommended loadings is not factual? What are the flaws then?  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:36 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Wait a second so these problems with Glock firing other than recommended loadings is not factual? What are the flaws then?
the problems are from leading in the barrel when shooting non jacketed lead projectiles through it.

it's not wise to shoot and shoot them without seriously cleaning the barrel in any gun. revolvers can blow up because of it too.

it can be bad for glocks sure, but how often do you ever use all lead projectiles for carry or defending yourself anyway? or period.

unless you reload you probably wont be using any.

and if you plan on using a lot of them, just do what everyone else does and buy a regular rifled barrel to practice shooting with or to just make a permanent switch.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:14 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
the problems are from leading in the barrel when shooting non jacketed lead projectiles through it.

it's not wise to shoot and shoot them without seriously cleaning the barrel in any gun. revolvers can blow up because of it too.

it can be bad for glocks sure, but how often do you ever use all lead projectiles for carry or defending yourself anyway? or period.

and if you plan on using a lot of them, just do what everyone else does and buy a regular rifled barrel to practice shooting with or to just make a permanent switch.

Hey, hey, hang on there. Any gun can suffer problems from lead particles in the barrel, but it would take a huge amount of it to make any actual difference. The problem is just more pronounced in Glocks than the vast majority of other modern handguns.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:36 pm
ArmasTermin
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter

Hey, hey, hang on there. Any gun can suffer problems from lead particles in the barrel, but it would take a huge amount of it to make any actual difference. The problem is just more pronounced in Glocks than the vast majority of other modern handguns.
I've never seen a factory cast lead round in anything but revolver rounds, which I think may have been his point... they're subsequently much more common.

The problem with Glocks and cast lead comes from the polygonal rifling. It's not a Glock problem, it's a problem for any gun with that type of barrel. I'm pretty sure most H&K pistols have that limitation as well, for the same reason. I dunno who else uses polygonal, but maybe Marlin's microgroove has it too? Cast lead is just too dirty to be fired through these barrels. The only limitations for a Glock in the manual is non-factory rounds (handloads) and cast lead, and I don't think you can find a gun out there that won't void its warranty if a handload kills it (except maybe Hi-Point, but a steamroller won't void that warranty). Aside from that, it's .40S&W HydraShok that tends to kill Glocks.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:16 am
Somehow I'm not convinced about a Glock firing heavy loadings. Maybe the 10mm Glock is because it's...well it's firing a cartridge that commonly has heavy loadings.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Somehow I'm not convinced about a Glock firing heavy loadings. Maybe the 10mm Glock is because it's...well it's firing a cartridge that commonly has heavy loadings.
why not?

just about every modern auto including glock is built to withstand +p ammo

you wouldn't wanna go shooting it out of a browning hi-power....thats for sure  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 am
Valkyrie Hatter
All Glocks (at least Gen3) are rated for +P loads.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:05 pm
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Yet handloads are almost sure to destroy the gun... neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 pm
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
not true.
it's only discouraged against by the manufacturer. probably like many other guns already are

many glock owners shoot handloads through their guns. it's more about the projectile type and how much powder people load their stuff with.

if they wanna be retarded and make overpressured rounds that are loaded stronger than +p+ then they deserve to have their gun blow up on them

in addition, allow me to introduce an all lead projectile that is gaining quite a bit of popularity. it utilizes a special coating and is totally safe in poly rifled bores
http://www.bayoubullets.net/products.html

yes they are green. which means they can also kill superman.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm
Recon_Ninja_985
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
not true.
My parents both did IPSC for years... probably a decade or two, usually once a week, always using handloads. Never a kB!, though my mom's .40 did get a squib leading to a bulged barrel once.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff