Reply Adult Furries Guild
Furry Defined

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artemis Vulpes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 pm
To define one's self as a furry they simply need to be a fan of anthropomorphic, or cartoon, animals. Thusly, if you are a fan of anthropomorphic, or cartoon, animals you are a furry. How big a fan one is may very to certain degrees from casual to nearly being a lifestyle, but you are a fan, and thus a furry, no less.

One can be a furry without being part of the actual fandom, but if you are reading this then you are part of the fandom whether you realize it or a not. Being part of a fandom simply means you participate within the fandom, meaning you engage with others in fandom. This can be as simple as being part of a forum, such this, a website like FA or actually going to conventions. If one is reclusive and does not engage with those part of this fandom than they are still furries, just ones that do not participate.

Whatever Furry may mean to anyone as an individual is immaterial. I am giving the core definition of what makes one a furry and part of this fandom, everything else is just fluff. Everyone has their one way of expressing their fanaticism, but none of these things define the fandom as a whole only the individuals that make it up. The distinction should be seen and understood.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:00 pm
Wonderfully put.
:3

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:36 pm
I would love to know one good sentence for describing furry to people. Usually I go with "It's kind of like having a spirit animal, but it's usually more silly and fun, and some people dress up."

An issue with defining it is it means different things to everyone--I know someone who doesn't have as much as a costume tail, but all of her best friends are furries and she goes to cons and parties every week. She's not interested in animals or art or costuming or spirituality, she just loves to party.

What does everyone else here usually say when asked?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 pm
Furry has nothing to do with spirituality or dressing up, though it is quite silly.

How I explain Furry to people depends on the situation and I usually ask the person a few questions first to get an upstanding of how much they know about sci-fi/fantasy genre and the concept of fandoms. Pretty much any con I go to there are always those that come around to look at the spectacle and what to know what is going on.

I have come to find that the simplest definition, that seems to be the most excepted, without confusing or having to go into deeper explanation, is to say that it is a convention for cartoon animal enthusiasts. There is obviously more to it than that, but it is true and more or less gets the basic idea of furry across to them.

People always argue that one should go more in-depth than that when you explain furry, but I think that the more simple you keep it the better. You peek their curiosity then let them discover the rest on their own. I know from experience my method works while others that try and define, or explain, furry more in-depths usually end up scaring people off.  

Artemis Vulpes

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 am
Zella L.
What does everyone else here usually say when asked?

It's like liking werewolves, only with all kinds of species and there's none of that full moon stuff.

That's about as simple as I got it while still relating it to something everyone knows.

As Artemis said, it should remain broad and non-detailed. This is something sociologists and probably many other fields of study do.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:30 am
@OP I wish I could tip your post. Very much the 'core' definition. Nice to see you classed it as such, avoiding saying it is the say all and end all.

@Zella L No. That's closer to otherkin in my experience. Also the costuming and spirituality are fringe options that most don't partake in. Especially the spirituality bit.

Generally, if asked, I'd say it was an appreciation of artistic ingenuity when dealing with non-standard subjects.  

Serph Bravin

5,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200

Karushi El Pinko

5,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:11 pm
Artemis Vulpes
To define one's self as a furry they simply need to be a fan of anthropomorphic, or cartoon, animals. Thusly, if you are a fan of anthropomorphic, or cartoon, animals you are a furry. How big a fan one is may very to certain degrees from casual to nearly being a lifestyle, but you are a fan, and thus a furry, no less.

One can be a furry without being part of the actual fandom, but if you are reading this then you are part of the fandom whether you realize it or a not. Being part of a fandom simply means you participate within the fandom, meaning you engage with others in fandom. This can be as simple as being part of a forum, such this, a website like FA or actually going to conventions. If one is reclusive and does not engage with those part of this fandom than they are still furries, just ones that do not participate.

Whatever Furry may mean to anyone as an individual is immaterial. I am giving the core definition of what makes one a furry and part of this fandom, everything else is just fluff. Everyone has their one way of expressing their fanaticism, but none of these things define the fandom as a whole only the individuals that make it up. The distinction should be seen and understood.
I don't agree with this definition of furry. What about someone who once wrote on a forum to antagonize furries. By your definition he was involved in the community, even though it was an insult to the community, and he hates it, can he then be considered a furry? More over you go on to claim :
Quote:
Whatever Furry may mean to anyone as an individual is immaterial. I am giving the core definition of what makes one a furry and part of this fandom, everything else is just fluff

You say this like you are citing a dictionary but I know very little on the legitimacy of the fandom's lexicon. How can you claim you are giving a core definition without citing reference material? I certainly don't know what credentials you have that thus makes you an expert in furry linguistics and etymology. I'd even go so far as to say this is your opinion, "immaterial" if you will.

On a side note, I feel that someone who considers themselves a legitimate fan of the culture AND feels some close affiliation with animals should call themselves furries, and everyone who is just a fan, should simply refer to themselves as fans.

Comments?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:44 pm
Trolls do not count. rolleyes Do not give empty arguments please. Though, a lot of those that troll furries are furries themselves, simply because they know how easy it is to rile up the community.

That is also the thing, you see, one does not need any kind of affiliation towards animals to be a Furry, I know a great many that admit that they don't they just like the cartoons and artwork. Also, some of us do not consider Furry to be a culture, it is just a fandom to me and a personal hobby.

I think you need to look up the definition of the word fan, cause you see it is just a shortening of the word fanatic. As for my credentials, how about the fact I have been an active member of this fandom, and I dare say community, for over 15 years. One might say that is enough to consider me an expert on such matter, no?

You want sources?Well I could link you to a variety of online dictionary pages and wikipedia, but you are very well capable of looking up that stuff yourself if you wish to give a real counter argument over your sense of righteous indignation.

I am simply defining what makes someone furry, I am not defining what furry means. It is going to mean something different depending on the individual but every single one of us shares a common interest, this commonality is the core of the fandom.

No you do not need to have an affiliation with animals.
No you do not need a sense of spirituality.
No you do not need to have a fursona.
No you do not need to fursuit.
No you do not need some weird sexual fetish.
No you do not need to RP, write or be an artist.
No you do not need to attend cons.

All that is needed to be a furry is being a fan of what furry is all about, anthropomorphic animals. This is the one and only constant. Everything, everything, else is extra baggage that differs from person to person.  

Artemis Vulpes

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 pm
Artemis Vulpes
I am simply defining what makes someone furry, I am not defining what furry means. It is going to mean something different depending on the individual but every single one of us shares a common interest, this commonality is the core of the fandom.

Exactly!

Though I would argue that furries could be classified as a subculture. Despite there being exceptions, a large majority of people within utilize things that identify there being a subculture present:

Special Lingo -
Furry, of course, but also other words like murr, yiff, scritch, whatever. Whether you like the words or not is irrelevant, these slang words exist nevertheless and more will likely pop up in the future.

Different beliefs from the majority -
It's kinda obvious the fandom contains a large number of people from varying beliefs outside of the mainstream ones. It's certainly a higher percentage. From what I remember, agnostics and atheists ranked pretty high from the past surveys conducted. But this also applies in political views and a whole host of other views.

Behaviors -
I'd say, there does seem to be a common thread of greater openness about sexuality and gender. This includes expressing sexuality, simply discussing sexuality, and acting in manners not considered "appropriate" to your sex by the dominant culture. Men acting feminine for example.

And...probably other things. I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but these alone constitute as a subculture.

Now, just to emphasize, not all furries participate in the furry subculture. It's the same as owning a motorcycle but not being a biker.

I think the furry fandom and the furry subculture need separate names to avoid confusion, but good luck to anyone who actively tries to undertake this separation. confused  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 pm
Garek Maxwell
It's the same as owning a motorcycle but not being a biker.
I really like this phrasing for some reason. I will have to use this the next time I speak with my friend about her position in furdom. I'm trying to reassure her that you really don't have to have any set fursona, suit,etc. to attend a con. Just be curious and willing to seek it out for herself.  

EmerBunny

Artemis Vulpes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:12 pm
EmerBunny
Garek Maxwell
It's the same as owning a motorcycle but not being a biker.
I really like this phrasing for some reason. I will have to use this the next time I speak with my friend about her position in furdom. I'm trying to reassure her that you really don't have to have any set fursona, suit,etc. to attend a con. Just be curious and willing to seek it out for herself.

Damn straight. The majority of con goers are not suiters/cos-players. This is true for any kind of convention for any fandom.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:16 pm
Artemis Vulpes
Trolls do not count. rolleyes Do not give empty arguments please. Though, a lot of those that troll furries are furries themselves, simply because they know how easy it is to rile up the community.

That is also the thing, you see, one does not need any kind of affiliation towards animals to be a Furry, I know a great many that admit that they don't they just like the cartoons and artwork. Also, some of us do not consider Furry to be a culture, it is just a fandom to me and a personal hobby.

I think you need to look up the definition of the word fan, cause you see it is just a shortening of the word fanatic. As for my credentials, how about the fact I have been an active member of this fandom, and I dare say community, for over 15 years. One might say that is enough to consider me an expert on such matter, no?

You want sources?Well I could link you to a variety of online dictionary pages and wikipedia, but you are very well capable of looking up that stuff yourself if you wish to give a real counter argument over your sense of righteous indignation.

No you do not need to have an affiliation with animals.
No you do not need a sense of spirituality.
No you do not need to have a fursona.
No you do not need to fursuit.
No you do not need some weird sexual fetish.
No you do not need to RP, write or be an artist.
No you do not need to attend cons.

All that is needed to be a furry is being a fan of what furry is all about, anthropomorphic animals. This is the one and only constant. Everything, everything, else is extra baggage that differs from person to person.

Oh thanks a lot for rolling your eyes at me. If we want to get in to the subjects of empty arguments then let's talk about your arguments. First of I'd like to mention the lack of academic language and logical consistency or soundness.
In example, a contradictory statement:
Quote:
I am simply defining what makes someone furry, I am not defining what furry means

is it not the definition of furry that outlines what a furry is?

Then here we have a self defeating argument:
Quote:

Even though you say my argument is not valid( for no reason) you go on to argue against me. Let me just say that my argument in the first place was to find a defining line on your overreaching outline of what a furry is.

Moreover, the point I was trying to make is that by your definition people who want to, legitimately, have nothing to do with the community, or may even seek to antagonize the community are part of the community.

I hope you see that this is an absurd claim. That's like saying jock bullies are trekkies because that know how to antagonize trekkies.

You also ignored or at least misread what I was asking for with this answer.
Quote:
As for my credentials, how about the fact I have been an active member of this fandom, and I dare say community, for over 15 years

I wasn't asking about your credentials as far as the history of the community, or learning "the ropes" as it were. My exact words were:
Quote:
I certainly don't know what credentials you have that thus makes you an expert in furry linguistics and etymology

Specifically experts in word origins, meanings, and cultural relevance.

Since you weren't being forth coming with evidence to support your arguments (academically lazy) let me be the first to make the strongest possible argument, the supported argument.

You seem to fancy yourself a historian on the fandom, or at least you've been around the block a few times eh?
Were you at the science fiction convention in the 80's where
Quote:
a character drawing from Steve Gallacci’s Albedo Anthropomorphics started a discussion of anthropomorphic characters in science fiction novels. This led to the formation of a discussion group that met at science fiction and comics conventions. Patten defined "Furry fandom" as "the organized appreciation and dissemination of art and prose regarding 'Furries', or fictional mammalian anthropomorphic characters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

this is the guy who freaking coined the term and in his definition furry never had anything to do with people but the characters themselves.

I will give some legitimacy to the claim that the fandom includes a large variety of individuals, even urban dictionary has some broad definitions:
Quote:
Furries range from being harmless fans fascinated by anthropomorphic characters and animals, to immensely withdrawn or self-abosrbed persons who actually believe, or want to believe, they're eagle-winged fox-like versions of themselves with giant gentalia who wouldn't dare be anything else that could be considered mundane.

but note that even here the words FAN are mentioned. As in people who have a legitimate interest in the community/fandom not trolls, not meandering passerby's,

I'm going to end this whole deal with the wikipedia definition and I am then going to end this discussion because I find your arguments boring and lazy.

Quote:
Furry fandom is a fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics.[1] Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, the ability to speak, walk on two legs, and wear clothes. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of people who gather on the Internet and at conventions.[2][3]

Finally, sorry to the whole community for being a s**t stirrer but I do not like these unfounded claims of knowledge. Especially when these claims are not backed, or have logical academic arguments. Better yet, rolling your eyes at me!?!?!? Damn offensive.  

Karushi El Pinko

5,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100

Artemis Vulpes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm
Pinko,

You know what I do not like? People bitching because they do not like how someone said something. rolleyes You are not even actually debating anything, you are just pointing out how you dislike what I said and how I said it so yeah, bravo for doing nothing but complaining and not giving any actual opinion or real argument.

You do a real good job trying to make yourself sound smart through, but I am use to that kind of augmentative style on the internet and there are reasons why I roll my eyes at it and brush people like you. I applaud your attempts to sound academic and somehow attempt to my points appear moot because you believe I am not being academic in my writing. The thing is, I am not and I will admit to it, but guess what it does not matter. I am just talking like a normal, average, every day person.

Leave your sense of education elitism at school and don't give people a hard time because they state things in a way you feel they should be to be valid. Doing stuff like that just makes you look like an a**.

Fair warning, this is my thread so I mind you to listen to my fallowing instructions. You are free to continue responding to this thread, but only if it is to actually give an opinion on how one would define being a furry or what furry personally means to you. You are to do so in a civil manner, not being irate as you have been and are not allowed to create another rambling post on how you take personal offence to my choice of words.

If I see you continue to act like the way you have I will have a mod delete your posts and have you blocked from this thread.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:26 pm
Gonna clear this up too.

Karushi El Pinko
the point I was trying to make is that by your definition people who want to, legitimately, have nothing to do with the community, or may even seek to antagonize the community are part of the community.

What about someone who once wrote on a forum to antagonize furries. By your definition he was involved in the community, even though it was an insult to the community, and he hates it, can he then be considered a furry?

His definition:
Artemis Vulpes
cartoon animal enthusiasts.

Is the person antagonizing others a cartoon animal enthusiast? Yes/No?
Yes = Furry
No = Not furry

The hippie movement had it's detractors within the movement itself, it's no different...despite there being less thought behind furry fandom detractors.

Karushi El Pinko
I hope you see that this is an absurd claim. That's like saying jock bullies are trekkies because that know how to antagonize trekkies.

By Art's logic, only if those jocks are Star Trek enthusiasts are they trekkies.  

Garek Maxwell

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm
I think people worry way too much about such trivial things like this.  
Adult Furries Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games