Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
Are there any serious issues with the Galil or R4? (Tavor?)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:40 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vektor_R4

So, I'm beginning work on a novel in which I am highly considering equipping a military force (the protagonists, if you are wondering) with R4 rifles and R5 carbines as their standard issue rifles. These rifles will be designated R4 Mark 2 and R5 Mark 2, and will differ from the R4 and R5 in that it possesses an accessory rail instead of the fixed foregrip/bipod of the original weapon. The following accessories are currently issued:

Vertical foregrips

Flashlights

40mm Grenade Launchers

The Horizontal foregrip/bipod assembly of the original weapon (I think the wire cutter capability of the bipod will prove useful)

I am keeping the rifle grenade capability, as it can launch grenades larger than 40mm, which may allow the invention and usue of things such as "door/wall busters" and other specialized grenades that wouldn't be able to fit into a 40mm package. The weapon will be fitted with an adjustable stock and be capable of fitting scopes, reflex sights, and other aiming aids.

This weapon will be issued to the military of a nation that is highly similar to Australia, but with more rivers and lakes, resulting in more arable land and the ability to support a population of 150 million comfortably instead of barely supporting 23 million (Australia is so dry that it can't provide water for much more than it's current population, and has frequent droughts.). It will be used mostly in an Australia-like climate, Asia, Africa, and South America (Because this Australia is significantly bigger population-wise than the real Australia it is a major military power, and has military forces deployed over a greater area than the real Australia.), so the ability to work well in deserts, grassland, mountains, and jungles is highly important.

I chose the R4 because it has proven itself to work well in the Southern African climate (which is somewhat similar to the Australian climate), and despite being a relative of the Kalashnikov I understand it's reasonably accurate. Are my perceptions correct? Now that you know what I intend to do to the weapon and what climate I intend to use it in, I would like to know if anyone knows of any problems with the R4/R5 or it's parent weapon, the Galil, that I should know about but don't, or if there are any better desert/jungle weapons out there that I should be considering.

Edit:

What about the Tavor? Is it as good as it sounds (A bullpup both more comfortable and more accurate than an M4 with excellent reliability) or it it's phrase somewhat exaggerated?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 pm
no problem whatsoever. galil / golani's are awesome rifles.

however if you plan on getting one, you should look at the other alternatives in the ak style 223 field first.

these include the daewoo, .223 and 5.45 AKs and maybe even keltec su16

magazines might not be as easy to come by for galil's as they are with AK rifles.

and magazines are readily available at just about anywhere for the daewoo because they take AR magazines.

if all you want is something very affordable to shoot performs just like a 223 of that weapon family then the AK74 is for you

if it's gotta be .223 then I'd definitely recommend a daewoo. or hell, even a keltec SU16 is very similar  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:41 pm
Jackie Flores
I am keeping the rifle grenade capability, as it can launch grenades larger than 40mm, which may allow the invention and usue of things such as "door/wall busters" and other specialized grenades that wouldn't be able to fit into a 40mm package.
Actually, I saw a rifle grenade for the M16 that does this. I forget what it's called, but the internals include a bullet trap, allowing you to launch it with a standard round.

Oh, found it. Israel calls it SIMON, we call it the M100 GREM.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:54 pm
Fresnel
Jackie Flores
I am keeping the rifle grenade capability, as it can launch grenades larger than 40mm, which may allow the invention and usue of things such as "door/wall busters" and other specialized grenades that wouldn't be able to fit into a 40mm package.
Actually, I saw a rifle grenade for the M16 that does this. I forget what it's called, but the internals include a bullet trap, allowing you to launch it with a standard round.

I want them so badly.  

Private Sanders

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:00 pm
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

Simon says....DOOR OPEN

I think it's safe to say that this grenade will work on just about any 5.56 barrel as long as it fits

I'm very curious how it performs against vehicles or if anyone has even considered it. simon can definitely stop a truck in it's tracks.

armor? can ******** up some tracks or ruin an APC's wheels for good. can be the ultimate man portable versatile explosive. especially if they developed different warhead types. anti personnel and anti armor warheads wont need that huge ******** rod on it. cooincidentally it would be a lot more cost effective than the m203.
everyone would be able to carry and fire these grenades without a launcher

think of it as a turn back to the old days of using rifle grenades, but without the stigma of having to use blanks and a special attatchment  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:29 am
Back to the original post, the two issues that come up in my mind about either gun is the weight and age of each weapon.

In the case of the Galil, it's a very heavy weapon. I almost purchased a civilian version until I hefted it. It's not something you want to walk around carrying around for days at a time. And the issue of non-standard magazines has been touched on. A simple fix for using standard AR magazines is available, but it is a kludge.

And both of the primary choices are old weapons, based in turn on an older design. Granted there are plenty of surplus copies of each available around the world. The South African export market for weapons has been mercurial at best, and has most likely dried up under the post Apartheid government.

I'd consider the Steyr AUG instead. It's coolness factor is already known, has been used in at least two James Bond movies, and is still in production.

http://www.steyrarms.com/microsites/aug/  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 am
Floyd
Back to the original post, the two issues that come up in my mind about either gun is the weight and age of each weapon.

In the case of the Galil, it's a very heavy weapon. I almost purchased a civilian version until I hefted it. It's not something you want to walk around carrying around for days at a time. And the issue of non-standard magazines has been touched on. A simple fix for using standard AR magazines is available, but it is a kludge.

And both of the primary choices are old weapons, based in turn on an older design. Granted there are plenty of surplus copies of each available around the world. The South African export market for weapons has been mercurial at best, and has most likely dried up under the post Apartheid government.

I'd consider the Steyr AUG instead. It's coolness factor is already known, has been used in at least two James Bond movies, and is still in production.

I like the AUG a lot, but I want something different. The R4 is basically a Galil made from composites and metal, so it weighs less than it's wood and metal parent. The issue with weapon and magazine supplies could be solved with licensed production. So really it's just an issue of age.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

Simon says....DOOR OPEN

I think it's safe to say that this grenade will work on just about any 5.56 barrel as long as it fits

I'm very curious how it performs against vehicles or if anyone has even considered it. simon can definitely stop a truck in it's tracks.

armor? can ******** up some tracks or ruin an APC's wheels for good. can be the ultimate man portable versatile explosive. especially if they developed different warhead types. anti personnel and anti armor warheads wont need that huge ******** rod on it. cooincidentally it would be a lot more cost effective than the m203.

think of it as a turn back to the old days of using rifle grenades, but without the stigma of having to use blanks and a special attatchment
Yes. I like this. The 40mm under-barrel grenade launcher could be used for standard anti-personnel use and rapid fire suppression/fire support, and the rifle grenades for knocking down doors, putting holes in walls, and taking out trucks and light armoured vehicles.  

Private Sanders

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:28 am
Floyd

and to think it only took 20 years to get them on the market.

in any case, microtech should step down now, the genuine article is finally here.

edit: wait nvm ******** that, for $2,000 they can keep them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:17 am
Jackie Flores
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel
Jackie Flores

Simon says....DOOR OPEN

Yes. I like this. The 40mm under-barrel grenade launcher could be used for standard anti-personnel use and rapid fire suppression/fire support, and the rifle grenades for knocking down doors, putting holes in walls, and taking out trucks and light armoured vehicles.
I was thinking more along the lines of replacing undermounted launchers altogether. it has the ability to deliver more potent anti personnel warheads than the 203. they only need to be developed.

seeing as everyone's rifle can be a launcher without the extra cost and weight of a separate launcher. the m203 projectiles are likely more expensive to produce as well as they require their own case, shaped projectile,primers and propellant charge.
more difficult to manufacture annnd their warhead size has closed limitations.

simon only uses a bullet and itself

and the warhead can be just about any size or shape as long as it still launches  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:44 pm
for the price of the Century arms builds for a Galil....I would not get one. I do like the C93....some H&K clone in 5.56...many problems with the bolt gap wrong. oh, and the galil lacks a good scope mounting option.

The AUG new price is around $2,300...so not.

I still like a nice AR and there is more uppers that you can pick different calibers.

ninja maybe I'll get a ar10 with my tax return cause I want something in 308!  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games