Reply The Official Australian Guild
Warning! phone scam

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TrickYMickY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:39 am
theres been a set of calls being made to mobile phones from 03 8558 1441 and numbers similar to it...its some marketing company but they try to rip you off...basically phone spam...they tell you you won something and then they try to get you to call a 1900 number which is like $2.95/min so yeh can you just warn people about it so they dont get scammed.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:11 am
Sounds like the Giri Giri scam in Japan,
but then when you called back you automatically got charged $100
for the call.  

Ozumou

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:40 am
That was on the news not long back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:07 am
yea i got a missed call from them and i rang back and they said some s**t and im like "******** you!!" and put the phone down. they've done it a few times but i didn't call them. im not wasting mah money on stupid s**t!! thankies for telling us though 3nodding  

nrasjaa

WarriorShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:28 am
Yeah. i got one of those calls to.

it was like

"Congratulations you've Wo"
beeep beeep beeep.

im trained to hang up on those kinda calls.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:46 am
I got it as well. I called it but as it was ringing hung up. Who did I know with that area code? If it was someone I knew, they would call back.  

ManagerKyoto

[Jena.Tahlia]

8,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:12 pm
i hate them damned telemarketers now, now they care calling from overseas!!

and they always sound like they are reading from a script 9which they are) as u pick up the phone there is a slight pause for ages then it clicks and they go "hello madam sorry to beb othering you at this time please be aware that i am not selling anything but i am advising you of a product that can benefit u and the whole family." i used to wait till they finished and say "no sorry, not interested" but then i started just interupting them saying "no sorry" but now i either hang up once i hear the silence and then a click or i just hand up as they start "hello madam sorry to be bothering u please be aware that i am not seling anything..." *hangs up*...

god they drive me insane!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:39 am
i got that call...i thought i was loved coz i got a missed call, then i saw the number and new it was a scam..then i felt more loved!! they called me to scam...yay!!  

FickleLikeAPickle

Ozumou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:09 am
I loathe it when I get called, and then put on hold so the telemarketer can then talk to me in thier own time.

You call me at home, yo ubloody well don't put me on hold!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:23 am
when they call me and ask for the bill payer i say "I'll get them for you" then i put the phone down and walk away and leave em waiting..  

FickleLikeAPickle

AminoAcid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:56 am
Watch out for email scams too guys, I just got one the other day D:
My Inbox
Sent : Monday, 6 February 2006 2:56:19 PM
To : ice__queen66@hotmail.com
Subject : GaiaOnline ToS Violation

It has come to our attention that you have posted prohibited content (that is, content that is in violation of the Terms of Service agreement) on the Gaia Online forums. This has become a big problem on the site. To stop this from happening please reply to this message within the next 24 hours or you will be permabanned. Be sure to include the following:

1) Your main account's user name:

2) Your password:

3) Your apology/denial:

We require your user name/password combination so that we may clear your account of all violations. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Gaia Online

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:21 pm
AminoAcid
Watch out for email scams too guys, I just got one the other day D:
My Inbox
Sent : Monday, 6 February 2006 2:56:19 PM
To : ice__queen66@hotmail.com
Subject : GaiaOnline ToS Violation

It has come to our attention that you have posted prohibited content (that is, content that is in violation of the Terms of Service agreement) on the Gaia Online forums. This has become a big problem on the site. To stop this from happening please reply to this message within the next 24 hours or you will be permabanned. Be sure to include the following:

1) Your main account's user name:

2) Your password:

3) Your apology/denial:

We require your user name/password combination so that we may clear your account of all violations. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Gaia Online

Yeah, I heard about that one recently. The first thing they say in the announcements is that Gaia admins will never ask for your password. Also "permabenned" is Gaia slang... as if an admin would use slang in an "official" email. xd
Also, I would assume that they'd pm people through Gaia rather than use hotmail.

JewelsSparkle

[Jena.Tahlia]

8,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:58 am
hey i had a missed call from a number like that yesterday but it had 02 as the area code and i go "i dont know anyone from NSW..." so i didnt call back.. plus i rememberd this topic about a phone scam... thanks guys for all ya help smile  
The Official Australian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games