14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:26 am
John Ford

Commander, USNR.

Quote:
During World War II, Commander John Ford, USNR, served in the United States Navy and made documentaries for the Navy Department. He won two more Academy Awards during this time, one for the semi-documentary The Battle of Midway (1942), and a second for the propaganda film December 7th (1943).

Commander Ford was a veteran of the Battle of Midway, he received enemy fire while filming the Japanese attack from Sand Island's power plant, Ford was wounded in the arm by shrapnel.

Ford was present on Omaha Beach on D-Day. As head of the photographic unit for the Office of Strategic Services, he crossed the English Channel on the USS Plunkett (DD-431), anchored off Omaha Beach at 0600.

He observed the first wave land on the beach from the ship, landing on the beach himself later with a team of US Coast Guard cameramen who filmed the battle from behind the beach obstacles, with Ford directing operations.

The film was edited in London, but very little was released to the public. Ford explained in a 1964 interview that the US Government was "afraid to show so many American casualties on the screen", adding that all of the D-Day film "still exists in color in storage in Anacostia near Washington, D.C." Thirty years later, historian Stephen E. Ambrose reported that the Eisenhower Center had been unable to find the film.

Ford eventually rose to become a top adviser to OSS head William Joseph Donovan. According to records released in 2008, Ford was cited by his superiors for bravery, taking a position to film one mission that was "an obvious and clear target". He survived "continuous attack and was wounded" while he continued filming, one commendation in his file states.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 am
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
James Earl Jones- Army Rangers
Please god tell me he was the radio guy. xd

Quote:
Chuck Norris- Air Force
Served as backup catapult on the USS Enterprise.

Quote:
Drew Carey- Marine Corps
The phrase "disgusting fatbody" comes to mind. Either it's a miracle he made it through basic, or he's really let himself go.
He let himself go after he got out. Although recently he's gotten into better shape.

Took me a moment to catch the joke about Jones. I need to watch that movie again...
What movie, Star Wars? Dude just has a ******** awesome voice. Can you imagine calling a special forces unit and getting a response over the radio from Darth ******** Vader?
No, I meant Dr. Strangelove. James Earl Jones was the radio operator on the B-52 in that movie.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:54 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis

Quote:
Chuck Norris- Air Force

Quote:
Drew Carey- Marine Corps
The phrase "disgusting fatbody" comes to mind. Either it's a miracle he made it through basic, or he's really let himself go.
He let himself go after he got out. Although recently he's gotten into better shape.

Took me a moment to catch the joke about Jones. I need to watch that movie again...
What movie, Star Wars? Dude just has a ******** awesome voice. Can you imagine calling a special forces unit and getting a response over the radio from Darth ******** Vader?
No, I meant Dr. Strangelove. James Earl Jones was the radio operator on the B-52 in that movie.
I honestly did not know that. I don't even remember seeing him in the movie.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:10 pm
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis

Quote:
Chuck Norris- Air Force

Quote:
Drew Carey- Marine Corps

I find your lack of targets disturbing.  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 pm
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel

I honestly did not know that. I don't even remember seeing him in the movie.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Also, he's actually the bombardier, not the radio operator. Watch the scene where the guy rides the bomb onto target; the guy he's talking to is James Earl Jones.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:45 am
Writer Edgar Allen Poe (US Army) has been added.  

Private Sanders

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:58 am
Private Sanders
Writer Edgar Allen Poe (US Army) has been added.
rofl I did a report on him for English class. He got kicked out of West Point. He was told to attend some kind of ceremony or something wearing his gloves and sword so that was ALL he wore. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:16 pm
Does John Basilone count as a celebrity? He didn't act or sing, but the government milked the s**t out of the fact he got a Medal of Honor to get war bonds.

Also, if we're adding presidents, might as well put the Bushes up there.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:38 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Does John Basilone count as a celebrity? He didn't act or sing, but the government milked the s**t out of the fact he got a Medal of Honor to get war bonds.

Also, if we're adding presidents, might as well put the Bushes up there.
I don't recall reading about what happened after Basilone was killed in Iwa Jima. Was there some kind of a big ******** ceromony since he was a "National hero".  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:42 pm
I meant before he was killed on Iwo. He got his Medal of Honor on Guadalcanal, and the government paraded him around as a celebrity to try and make money selling war bonds.

I read about it in the book for The Pacific. He's got streets named after him, a Basilone Day in his hometown and even a ship named after him.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:50 pm
According to ol' Wiki. Jeff Bridges was a Coast Guard reserve...Whatever that's worth.

@Requiem: I'm guessing all that stuff named after him was done during his war bond selling days and not after he was shot in Iwa.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:56 pm
Lee Van Cleef - U.S. Navy Minesweeper and Subchaser crewman  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers