So I'm writing my own gun laws.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:51 pm
They're for a fictional country for a fiction novel. Here's what I have:

In order to obtain a firearm the buyer goes to a licensed firearm dealer, who does a background check (Thanks to dealers' access to national databases, this takes no time at all). Then the owner sells the buyer the weapon. Private citizens may possess any semi-automatic or manually operated firearm except for a small number of banned weapons (banned weapons are usually banned because they are prone to explode when firing or fail in some other dangerous manner, not because they are viewed as particularly lethal or apt to be used in crime). There are no restrictions on clip/magazine size or calibre, nor are there any regulations on how many weapons may be bought at one time or possessed in total. The buyer need not give a reason (such as hunting or self-defense) for purchasing the firearm.

Fully automatic weapons may also be bought legally, but there are very few licensed dealers and mandatory psyche consults and police interviews before the weapon may be obtained, the necessary license is expensive, even the slightest negative involvement with the government or the barest hint of mental problems at any point in your life will get you refused for a license, and their owners are VERY closely monitored.

After the weapon is sold the dealer notifies the Ministry of Records and Licensing (The MRL is the government agency in charge of issuing ID cards, drivers licenses, social security cards, building permits, passports, firearm permits, and other licenses. They also keep copies of everyone's criminal, military, tax, and other records.) of the sale, giving them the details of the weapon sold (including the registration number) and the buyer's name and address. This notification is usually done by faxing over a sale record sheet to the local MRL office. Once the sheet is faxed over, the buyer has 48 hours to bring the gun to the local MRL office, where the background check will be redone (this only takes a few minutes) and a permit issued for each weapon. A fee (the equivalent of 15 US Dollars) will be charged for each permit issued. A permit from the MRL is required for all privately owned firearms. If the firearm is given as a gift or acquired from a non dealer (such as a friend), the permit holder and the new owner must go down to the MRL with the weapon to get the new owner a permit for the weapon.

There are no laws pertaining to the concealed carry of weapons, so if you can get it legally, you can conceal it legally. A permit is not required. This applies to knives as well as firearms.

Do these laws sound reasonable? Is there anything I haven't covered?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:06 am
Private Sanders
even the slightest negative involvement with the government or the barest hint of mental problems at any point in your life will get you refused for a license, and their owners are VERY closely monitored.
I take issue with this. Political dissent is not a bad thing, it's quite healthy. If everyone publicly agrees with the government, it's a dictatorship. Second, mental illness is often quite curable, and those people have rights too. Maybe have a public hearing where a guy gets a few friends or family members to come in and say he's not a threat to anyone.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 am
Fresnel
Private Sanders
even the slightest negative involvement with the government or the barest hint of mental problems at any point in your life will get you refused for a license, and their owners are VERY closely monitored.
I take issue with this. Political dissent is not a bad thing, it's quite healthy. If everyone publicly agrees with the government, it's a dictatorship. Second, mental illness is often quite curable, and those people have rights too. Maybe have a public hearing where a guy gets a few friends or family members to come in and say he's not a threat to anyone.
+1  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:35 am
Fresnel
Private Sanders
When I say negative involvement, I refer to criminal behaviour more so than dissent. You can have criticized the government as much as you want (this country has guaranteed free speech written into it's constitution), so long as you didn't get yourself arrested. Perhaps that should be clarified. As for mental illness, perhaps some exception could be made for curable things if the psyche consults are passed.  

Private Sanders

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 pm
Private Sanders
Fresnel
Private Sanders
When I say negative involvement, I refer to criminal behaviour more so than dissent. You can have criticized the government as much as you want (this country has guaranteed free speech written into it's constitution), so long as you didn't get yourself arrested. Perhaps that should be clarified. As for mental illness, perhaps some exception could be made for curable things if the psyche consults are passed.
I'm still seeing "you can't have a gun if you hate the government" as just WAITING to be abused.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:04 pm
Fresnel
Private Sanders
Fresnel
Private Sanders
I'm still seeing "you can't have a gun if you hate the government" as just WAITING to be abused.
Well, this only applies to fully automatic firearms, and only if you have an arrest record. Semi-automatic and manual firearms are legal so long as you don't have a current diagnosis of mental illness, have not been convicted of a violent felony, and do not have excessive (three or more) violent misdemeanor convictions.  

Private Sanders

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:36 pm
Fresnel
Private Sanders
Fresnel
Private Sanders
well with rex84, in an emergency govt can already detain anyone and everyone, mainly dissenters as "unlawful combatants" as it is so IMO the fascist plotters are already sort of getting their way....just a matter of time before similar BS like that gets adopted and used against gun owners  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 am
I'd say stick with felons not getting guns, and only mentally unstable people who are a potential threat to others (schizophrenics, etc.) being barred.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces