Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Your moral conduct?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[ W i c c a - Q u e e n ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:45 pm
I've been reading up a bit on morals, and ethics, and I'm beginning to shape my own moral conduct. Most of my morals, I've found, are deeply embedded in my brain since childhood- things like "don't steal," and "don't lie." However, I also read somewhere that moral conduct has a lot to do with religion. What is your take on this?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 pm
Moral standing i believe falls under how you grew up. Like your environment, people you hang around or see a lot, your parents morals and yes i do believe religion has something to do with it in some people. I also believe events that happen in your life can affect your moral standing.
I myself have a very high level of moral standing in myself, than most the people around me. Its my own set of believes how i should act and i should treat people, animals, and even nature, i guess what is right and what is wrong....thats what i think anyway.  

Rena Zefie

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 pm
I think it's largely cultural, but you might draw rules or guidelines from your religion in order to give some sort of context to your moral thingie.

Some religions have valued virtues, which stress the type of behaviour is valued and should be striven towards. Then some religions, like Egyptian Paganism, have quite heavy moral rules.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Its true that a big part of organized religions is to teach a sense of morals. The Ten Commandments from Judaism (and later Christianity and Islam) are a perfect example of this. Whenever you walk into a Synagogue or a Church you will see them mounted on a wall close to where you entered so that they are one of the first things you see. They are one of the first things taught to children in religious school.

Even in freer less-organized religions like eclectic neo-paganism a heavy emphasis is placed on morality and ethical behavior. An example of this is the mis-named "Wiccan" Rede, which basically says that if it won't harm anyone, practice your craft freely but if it will cause some sort of harm stop and think about it first. It places a premium on not only ethics but also accountability for the actions you take.

So, to answer your question: Yes, moral conduct has allot to do with religion and vice-versa. However, That does not mean that a person needs religion to be or act on "good" morals or ethics.

Ren LehCrow

Amorous Lovergirl

7,100 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Knight 100

Woa-Namzi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:06 pm
I grew up in an irreligious household, so most of my morals and ethics are cultural, but I have no doubt that my parents were likely influenced by my grandparents' religious beliefs (they were Protestant).

Very good question, however. Really makes one think about the origins of their morality.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games