Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Kana and Kanji Lessons
KANA/KANJI Lesson Five - Kanji Readings

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 pm
Alright, now that you've been given a brief introduction to the wonderful world of kanji, it's time to take a closer look at these characters.

Now, you already know that Japanese kanji are based on Chinese characters. But what we haven't talked about is the Japanese and Chinese readings that go with each Kanji.

Most kanji have two possible pronunciations, called the "ON" (pronounced "own") reading and the "KUN" reading. The ON reading is based on the Chinese way to say the character, and the KUN reading is uniquely Japanese. Different words will use different readings of the kanji, and the only way to know for sure which reading you should use is memorization!

In Japanese kanji dictionaries, the ON reading will typically be written out in katakana, and the KUN reading will be in hiragana.

Let's go through a few more kanji now, presented in the following format:

KANJI
GENERAL MEANING
ON READING
KUN READING
EXAMPLE OF A WORD

"big"
dai
oo
大きい = ookii = "big"
大すき(大好き) = daisuki = "really like/love"

"small"
shou
chii, o (kanji may have multiple kun readings)
小さい = chiisai = "small"

"rice paddy/rice field"
den
ta, da
田なか(田中さん) = Tanaka-san = comman Japanese last name
やま田さん = Yamada-san = common Japanese last name

"mountain"
sen
yama
山田さん =Yamada-san = common Japanese last name

"person"
jin, nin (again, multiple ON readings are possible)
hito
日本人 = nihonjin = Japanese Person
おんなの人(女の人) = onna no hito = woman

"river"
sen
kawa, gawa
川 = kawa = "river"

"life, to live"
sei
nama
せん生(先生) = sensei = Teacher

"I/private"
shi
watashi, watakushi
私 = watashi = "I"

"to study, to learn"
gaku, ga(small tsu character - duplicates next consonant)
mana
大学 = daigaku = university

I know you may have seen some of these characters before, but it never hurts to see them in their full context. Be sure to practice writing them on your own.

If you're serious about learning kanji (most linguists estimate that you need around 2000 kanji mastered before you can read a newspaper), then check out this website. They make the best kanji resources I've seen yet, and they sell kanji flashcard packs specifically for the JLPT levels. A friend of mine ordered stuff from them, and I will definitely be doing the same.

So, any questions or comments about this new set of kanji? Leave them for me here!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 pm
A nice set~! For me I find that some sort of flashcards like you suggest or just making them yourself (good writing practice too!) works well. I'm thinking about downloading a program like anki and setting myself back up for kanji study...blech XD  

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 pm
Kai Shi
A nice set~! For me I find that some sort of flashcards like you suggest or just making them yourself (good writing practice too!) works well. I'm thinking about downloading a program like anki and setting myself back up for kanji study...blech XD

I agree... blech! I'm toying with the idea of purchasing an electronic Japanese dictionary. They're pretty expensive, but I'm wondering if it might be worth it for getting through upper-level university courses...

Homemade flashcards have been my primary survival tool this semester. My school sells packs of 100 index cards for a dollar, and it's starting to feel like I'm in the bookstore once a week buying more.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:24 pm
Starry Starry Fright
Kai Shi

I agree... blech! I'm toying with the idea of purchasing an electronic Japanese dictionary. They're pretty expensive, but I'm wondering if it might be worth it for getting through upper-level university courses...

Homemade flashcards have been my primary survival tool this semester. My school sells packs of 100 index cards for a dollar, and it's starting to feel like I'm in the bookstore once a week buying more.

I adore my electronic dictionary. Its fantastic. Admittedly I probably use only about 3% of its functionality (mostly just the Japanese to english) I still find it really useful. They are quite expensive and definitely not worth it starting out. But once you reach a certain level they are invaluable. I have one that you can write the kanji on and its just wonderful (good for making sure you have stroke order down too. Whether that be a good or bad thing XD). If you can test out a friends before you buy one that's the way to go. They're not for everyone and really I could get by just as well using an online dictionary. But still biggrin

My flashcards from the uni classes fill half a drawer...I barely look at them anymore but I spent so much time and effort that they aren't going anywhere near a trash can xd  

Kai Shi
Crew

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:55 pm
i think the Japanese Dictionaries are expensive but they are useful. I saw one of my adult friends have one. How do we say waterfall in Kanji and Japanese?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:59 pm
Phoniex of Darkness
i think the Japanese Dictionaries are expensive but they are useful. I saw one of my adult friends have one. How do we say waterfall in Kanji and Japanese?

Taki - 滝  

Starry Starry Fright
Captain

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:21 pm
ariagato sensei  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:26 pm
Taki okay. Arigato gozaimasu Starry Senpai.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
Japanese Kana and Kanji Lessons

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items