Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Solo circles?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TigerEye1996

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm
hey everyone, I'm new to wicca and paganism. I find it extremely interesting, only my parents are pretty strict Catholics so I can't spend a lot of time researching. My friend, who has grown up a wiccan, told me that you can cast a circle by yourself. Can anyone please tell me how to do so? And if you have done it yourself, what was your experience like?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:24 pm
TigerEye1996
hey everyone, I'm new to wicca and paganism. I find it extremely interesting, only my parents are pretty strict Catholics so I can't spend a lot of time researching. My friend, who has grown up a wiccan, told me that you can cast a circle by yourself. Can anyone please tell me how to do so? And if you have done it yourself, what was your experience like?

Hi TigerEye - welcome to the guild.

It sounds as if your friend is well-meaning, but may be misinformed about Wicca. Wicca is a fertility-based Mystery religion - its' rites aren't suitable for children, and so they are not made initiates. Wicca is also not a family-based religion - not even children of initiates are taught the religion. So it's not really possible for someone to 'grow up Wiccan'. I'm willing to bet this is a case of your friend growing up with a form of eclectic neo-paganism that is often misrepresented as Wicca.
It doesn't mean that what she does is wrong or bad - just that what she does might be better described by a different name.

The guild keeps a whole pile of great information about Wicca here -
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=17613519 - and it's well worth the time to read it.

As for casting a circle, it's something that people can indeed do on their own, in different ways and for different purposes. How you cast a circle really depends on what you're casting one for and why - they're not something you should put up 'just 'cause'. Not all pagan religions use circles as part of their practices, either. There's more than a few that find them unnescessary.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

TigerEye1996

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:49 pm
Morgandria

It sounds as if your friend is well-meaning, but may be misinformed about Wicca. Wicca is a fertility-based Mystery religion - its' rites aren't suitable for children, and so they are not made initiates.

So you're saying I'm not allowed to follow the religion because I am a teenager?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:07 pm
TigerEye1996
Morgandria

It sounds as if your friend is well-meaning, but may be misinformed about Wicca. Wicca is a fertility-based Mystery religion - its' rites aren't suitable for children, and so they are not made initiates.

So you're saying I'm not allowed to follow the religion because I am a teenager?

Essentially. It's not intended to be ageist - it has to do with laws of consent, the rights of the minor to choose their own religion and it has to do with the fairness of heaping the changes that initiation brings, and the weights of priesthood, onto teenagers who are already at a difficult period of their lives.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:20 pm
And not only that,Even if your wanted practice Wicca at your age,You have to be initiated to know most Wiccan traditions. It's all oathbound.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:58 pm
TigerEye1996
Can anyone please tell me how to do so?

Maybe, what do you want to cast the circle for?

Casting a circle might not really be the right way to start researching a new faith or belief system because it's usually used as part of a rite rather than the rite itself.

What faith are you? Are you interested in a new religion or are you interested in witchcraft as a tool within the faith you currently follow?

It's almost impossible to be helpful until we know more about what your goals are and which faith you follow.
Quote:
And if you have done it yourself, what was your experience like?

My experiences casting circles have really varied depending on the kind of circle I cast and my intent. If you're asking whether or not I found casting successful, then yes I found casting a circle as part of my right to be fulfilling and useful.

I don't cast circle often though and don't find it required for energy work and differing kinds of energy magic. I only use circles when I need to create a designated space not of this world or if I'm looking for a specific kind of spiritual protection while performing a rite. Casting circle technique varies for either usage. In the case of creating space not of this world, why I'm doing that will also alter the wording and ritual I use.

Morg actually had a nice post about circle casting I stumbled across sometime in the past week, but I can't remember where she wrote it now.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

IIBlack-Embers48II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 pm
Hi there!

Okay, Id just like to say that I think I can feel your pain. My parents are Catholic too... Strict Catholics. Just a bit of advice: If you do find you want to actually start practicing and following what you believe as your true faith, then go for it. Dont let your parents stop you. (Although, It may be best that you hide it if you know how well or un-well your parents will take the news.) My father has found out that I was looking up things about Paganism and Witchcraft and Wicca online, and I got a good, stern talking to about it. I told him I was just looking at it. (Which I was at the time...) But, as I got more serious in Paganism, I started to hold rituals of my own in privet. And, later, my father found more information about Paganism on my computer. I dismissed it as "an accident" and it being old [internet] history from a while ago... But, I havent let my parents stop me from my belief, and I dont intend to have it end that way. Just, keep on believing what you believe in. They cant take that away.
Okay, now that Im done with my pep-talk, Ill give my advice. I say that most of the advice you have already gotten is pretty much true and accurate. As I am also pretty new to the craft myself, I can only give you my opinion and what I think.... So, here it goes.
If you're interested in Wicca, you should look at Witchcraft too. Many Wiccans practice Witchcraft alongside their beliefs. My advice? Start learning about how rituals usually go along. Start to finish. Learn more about how to control your spiritual energy and such by meditation and visualizations. Look up different Gods and Goddesses from all over the world. Learn more about herbs, plants and gems and how they affect magikal workings. So, basically, do your research. If you cant do it at home, try asking your parents if they can drop you off at the library. It works for me...
As for "being too young for Wicca." My advice on this; look into Neo-Paganism, or just plain Paganism or Eclectic Paganism. There is many different ways to honour the God and Goddess, and there are many different religions/faiths that you might find interesting as well. I suggest looking at this Fourm. It was one of my very first references that helped me pick my path. I found it very useful. You just have to read though it...
Well,I hope I helped you. I tried the best I could to help a fellow newbe! This is just my advice, but, whatever you do, make it your own and flow with it. heart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 am
IIBlack-Embers48II
Just a bit of advice: If you do find you want to actually start practicing and following what you believe as your true faith, then go for it. Dont let your parents stop you. (Although, It may be best that you hide it if you know how well or un-well your parents will take the news.)
I think this advice has some good to it and some bad- parents can't force you to believe something you don't believe in, but at the same time- if you're going to be living off of them, you need to be able to respect some of their wishes and sometimes hold off until you're not relying on them for everything.

There's a difference between a stern talking to that you had and the a** beating my mama gave me- but that's where I draw the line between people advising kids lie to their parents.

Quote:
If you're interested in Wicca, you should look at Witchcraft too. Many Wiccans practice Witchcraft alongside their beliefs.
All Wiccans practice witchcraft- being Wiccan means being a witch and a priest or priestess to two specific gods.

Quote:
My advice? Start learning about how rituals usually go along. Start to finish. Learn more about how to control your spiritual energy and such by meditation and visualizations.

Wiccan rituals are pretty much oathbound- you really can't learn them until you're an initiate.

Quote:
My advice on this; look into Neo-Paganism, or just plain Paganism or Eclectic Paganism. There is many different ways to honour the God and Goddess, and there are many different religions/faiths that you might find interesting as well. I suggest looking at this
I think it might be helpful to explain something here- just to avoid confusion. Neo-Paganism, Paganism and Eclectic Paganism aren't religions. Wicca is. Paganism is just any religion that isn't Jewish, Christian or Muslim- and sometimes things like Buddhism and Hinduism are included and sometimes they aren't. Neo-paganism is just new forms of paganism and eclectic paganism just describes a way of walking a path- not a path itself.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am
IIBlack-Embers48II

Okay, Id just like to say that I think I can feel your pain. My parents are Catholic too... Strict Catholics. Just a bit of advice: If you do find you want to actually start practicing and following what you believe as your true faith, then go for it. Dont let your parents stop you. (Although, It may be best that you hide it if you know how well or un-well your parents will take the news.) My father has found out that I was looking up things about Paganism and Witchcraft and Wicca online, and I got a good, stern talking to about it. I told him I was just looking at it. (Which I was at the time...) But, as I got more serious in Paganism, I started to hold rituals of my own in privet. And, later, my father found more information about Paganism on my computer. I dismissed it as "an accident" and it being old [internet] history from a while ago... But, I havent let my parents stop me from my belief, and I dont intend to have it end that way. Just, keep on believing what you believe in. They cant take that away.

How is this advice honouring the hospitality your parents show you by allowing you to live in their home? Belief is one thing. You're right, in that no-one can take your beliefs. However, in no way does this give you the right to physically -practice- in their home. Don't share your beliefs with them, fine. That's acceptable. However, nothing gives you the right to start -doing- anything in their home that they wouldn't approve of. That's not respecting their hospitality. And if you're lying to them about not practicing witchcraft or pagan religions in their home, that's not respecting their hospitality either. It's both rude, and dishonourable.

You don't have to believe the same things your parents do, under their roof. But you don't have the right to -practice- as you wish, so long as they're housing, clothing, and feeding you. When you're under your own roof responsible for yourself and your actions, do whatever you like. Until then, your parents get to call the shots.

Also, there are forms of Catholic magic out there. If the OP isn't specifically interested in pagan religion, persay, but rather ritual magical practices that might involve a circle, then Catholic magic may be more suited to his needs. I gather from his post that he's just tentatively exploring Paganism - not that he's looking to convert.

IIBlack-Embers48II

If you're interested in Wicca, you should look at Witchcraft too. Many Wiccans practice Witchcraft alongside their beliefs.

As Riri said, it isn't 'alongside'. It is part and parcel of Wicca. All Wiccans are also witches.

IIBlack-Embers48II

As for "being too young for Wicca." My advice on this; look into Neo-Paganism, or just plain Paganism or Eclectic Paganism. There is many different ways to honour the God and Goddess, and there are many different religions/faiths that you might find interesting as well. I suggest looking at this Fourm. It was one of my very first references that helped me pick my path. I found it very useful. You just have to read though it...

Eclectic neo-paganism isn't an equivalent, or a stand in, for Wicca. It's fine for what its...but it's not Wicca. The Gods of the Wica aren't honoured, or even nescessarily interested at all, in the rites and doings of eclectic neo-pagans. You have no way or knowing or verifying that what you call or know as "The God" and "The Goddess" are the Lord and Lady of Wicca.

I feel like you've sort of missed something here. Yes, you can't practice Wicca until you're old enough to find a coven proper, and become an initiate. But ENP isn't something you do until you're old enough to Seek properly. You don't join a coven, and then magically everything you've been doing so far can now be called Wicca, because you're 'in the club' now. Wicca is rather a different beast from ENP.

Don't take up Eclectic Neo-Paganism thinking it's a valid substitute for Wicca. Take it up because you want to practice Eclectic Neo-Paganism.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 pm
Morgandria
However, nothing gives you the right to start -doing- anything in their home that they wouldn't approve of. That's not respecting their hospitality. And if you're lying to them about not practicing witchcraft or pagan religions in their home, that's not respecting their hospitality either. It's both rude, and dishonourable.
I don't want to confuse the questions going on- but I'd like to pick your brain about this a little more, should we take it to PMs, another thread or here?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 pm
Esiris
Morgandria
However, nothing gives you the right to start -doing- anything in their home that they wouldn't approve of. That's not respecting their hospitality. And if you're lying to them about not practicing witchcraft or pagan religions in their home, that's not respecting their hospitality either. It's both rude, and dishonourable.
I don't want to confuse the questions going on- but I'd like to pick your brain about this a little more, should we take it to PMs, another thread or here?

Maybe start another thread?  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games