Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:27 am
just so I can get more cases of MRE's gonk

the only 2 individual meals I have left are like 6 years old and when I opened the cheese spread a few days ago it came out dark brown....

most of the food is still considered edible but the stuff like the spreads and what not are probably not edible anymore.

edit: nomming on some 6yr old wheat snack bread and had a 6 year old cookie earlier. seems to still be good. i'm prolly not gonna chance any of the meals with liquids in them.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:41 am
If the crackers and such don't smell like rancid oil, they're still good. They're still good afterwards if you're looking for a dirt-y taste and a colon cleanse. xd

Also good for a crash diet, apparently. My brother ate a whole package of rancid saltines and was down ten pounds the next day. 'Course, he gained it all back, but if you just need to make weight for something...

Personally, I've never had an MRE. Kinda want to someday, but I can't justify the cost. They sound touchy for someone as picky as me.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:15 am
Fresnel
If the crackers and such don't smell like rancid oil, they're still good. They're still good afterwards if you're looking for a dirt-y taste and a colon cleanse. xd

Also good for a crash diet, apparently. My brother ate a whole package of rancid saltines and was down ten pounds the next day. 'Course, he gained it all back, but if you just need to make weight for something...

Personally, I've never had an MRE. Kinda want to someday, but I can't justify the cost. They sound touchy for someone as picky as me.
i'm picky as all hell, the only MRE's that I've really been able to bring myself to eat the main courses are the cheese tortellini being the best, and vegetable manicotti being second best. and sometimes I could be able to eat the bbq chicken filet thing. O_o

but yeah, if you want your money's worth if youre gonna buy one that is. get the cheese tortellini. they usually come packed with all the best goodies and the amount of good s**t that comes in them is like practically unfair compared to the others. usually a combination of m&m's, cookies, hooah bars and pound cakes along with the usual MRE stuff.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:24 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

i'm picky as all hell, the only MRE's that I've really been able to bring myself to eat the main courses are the cheese tortellini being the best, and vegetable manicotti being second best. and sometimes I could be able to eat the bbq chicken filet thing. O_o

but yeah, if you want your money's worth if youre gonna buy one that is. get the cheese tortellini. they usually come packed with all the best goodies and the amount of good s**t that comes in them is like practically unfair compared to the others. usually a combination of m&m's, cookies, hooah bars and pound cakes along with the usual MRE stuff.
The BBQ chicken filet sounds pretty good (I'm very much a white meat guy), and the cheese tortellini is actually making me hungry just thinking about it. Goddamn, I've got to try one sometime. I've been planning a camping trip, I should use that as an excuse to buy one.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:31 am
Fresnel
Recon_Ninja_985
Fresnel

The BBQ chicken filet sounds pretty good (I'm very much a white meat guy), and the cheese tortellini is actually making me hungry just thinking about it. Goddamn, I've got to try one sometime. I've been planning a camping trip, I should use that as an excuse to buy one.
well the chicken would normally sound awesome, but the preservatives they use and quality of the meat just ruins it for the most part. it's only edible for me sometimes. guess it depends.

tortellini however is never going to stop being awesome  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:55 am
Just got a new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog this week. They're stocking more MRE than their website lists.

Can't speak for how good these are, but they're asking the sun and moon for a 12 pack of meals. Seems like it would be cheaper to go to a dollar store and load up on cheap food items and make your own.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=5339  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:49 pm
Floyd
Just got a new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog this week. They're stocking more MRE than their website lists.

Can't speak for how good these are, but they're asking the sun and moon for a 12 pack of meals. Seems like it would be cheaper to go to a dollar store and load up on cheap food items and make your own.

meh,]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=5339
meh, they arent as great as the military version.

not worth it  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 pm
Floyd

]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=5339
I just got an email from them... they cut all their prices $10, so now a 12-pack is only $40.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:17 pm
Yeah, most of the reviewers said the civilian MREs are s**t by comparison. I've always preferred to make my own 6 month rotating dry survival larder than buying a prepackaged deal from Costco or the army/navy stores.

You tend to see some guys try to set up storefronts that do nothing but sell survival food. Most of them go under in 6 months or less.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games