8.9 Earthquake

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:41 am
i'm sure you all know of the earthquake that hit Japan last Friday.
It was an 8.9, and was the strongest earthquake Japan has ever encountered. The earthquake was just off of Japan's shore and caused a massive tsunami.
A lot of coastal regions were destroyed because of this natural disaster.

There's belief that this is the world's fourth largest recorded earthquake.
The first being in Chile on May 22nd, 1960 at a 9.5 magnitute.

This thread is for prayers, concerns, news, and genreal talk of the tsunami/earthquake.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 pm
That pretty scary. TwT
I hope for the best for them.  

Swat Team Leader

Lonely Lover

9,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

HmoobNerd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm
Yes, that was pretty sad. crying I've been looking at videos online about it and it's really bad. Also their Nuclear Plant has issues now as well. I hope that everythings gets better.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:51 pm
Currently there have been 3 Nuclear explosions, and there is evidence that the explosions aftermath will be worse than that of Chernobyl.
Also, officially the death toll is at 3,373 while the missing is at 6,746. Death estimates exceed 10,000.
About a day after the tsunami, a wave came in after and washed up around 1,000 bodies.
Relief funds will exceed what it cost to repair for Hurricane Katrina.

i can't imagine what it must be like to live through that.... Or to even die.
i want to do something to support Japan, but i don't know how....  

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

azn_knight367
Captain

Lonely Explorer

8,125 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 am
It may seem selfish of me, but I was going to take a trip to Japan with my Japanese teacher and other students in June, but seeing how things are turning out with the Nuclear reactors and such, I just hope that it doesn't affect our trip.

On another note, I have friends in Japan and they seem to be doing okay. Since they live in and around Tokyo, they weren't affected directly by the tsunami. But my friends' school got canceled for a week because of the earthquake hah hah

At my school, I'm the Vice President of our Asian/Pacific Islander Club and we are planning on doing a fundraiser by selling bracelets/t-shirts and collecting money when we get back from Spring Break. Also, my Japanese teacher is doing a fundraiser type thing by having students make paper cranes which we are going to hang on some trees. I think what she wanted was for people to donate a dollar to hang up a crane. We're hoping to make 1000 paper cranes and send a picture of it all to our sister school in Japan :]

So, one way you could help is organize a fundraiser at your school or something :]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm
azn_knight367
It may seem selfish of me, but I was going to take a trip to Japan with my Japanese teacher and other students in June, but seeing how things are turning out with the Nuclear reactors and such, I just hope that it doesn't affect our trip.

On another note, I have friends in Japan and they seem to be doing okay. Since they live in and around Tokyo, they weren't affected directly by the tsunami. But my friends' school got canceled for a week because of the earthquake hah hah

At my school, I'm the Vice President of our Asian/Pacific Islander Club and we are planning on doing a fundraiser by selling bracelets/t-shirts and collecting money when we get back from Spring Break. Also, my Japanese teacher is doing a fundraiser type thing by having students make paper cranes which we are going to hang on some trees. I think what she wanted was for people to donate a dollar to hang up a crane. We're hoping to make 1000 paper cranes and send a picture of it all to our sister school in Japan :]

So, one way you could help is organize a fundraiser at your school or something :]

*GASP*
You just gave me a HUGE idea!
Holy shoes, that's a great idea!
&i love the crane idea, by the way. ^-^
i'll have to let you know if my idea (stolen from thou-truly) will work. 3nodding  

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

azn_knight367
Captain

Lonely Explorer

8,125 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:33 pm
CrimsonsDecayingRose
azn_knight367

*GASP*
You just gave me a HUGE idea!
Holy shoes, that's a great idea!
&i love the crane idea, by the way. ^-^
i'll have to let you know if my idea (stolen from thou-truly) will work. 3nodding

oh, what idea is that?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:53 pm
To have something like your Paper Crane idea. And have the proceeds go toward re-building a school or library or community or something in Japan.
i'm not sure whether to see if my Chinese History & Culture Class could do this, or if i could get SADD involved.
Sadly, we don't have an Azn club, but it'd be awesome if we could!
So, my idea was....

to possibly inniate an Azn club.
But....we don't have many Azns where i go. crying
There's this one kid who's Cantonese (Chinese) and knows a whole bunch and stuff who'd be into the idea, but he'll graduate this year, and it's too late to start the club this year.... :/
Idk. Just a thought....  

CrimsonsDecayingRose
Crew

azn_knight367
Captain

Lonely Explorer

8,125 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 pm
CrimsonsDecayingRose
To have something like your Paper Crane idea. And have the proceeds go toward re-building a school or library or community or something in Japan.
i'm not sure whether to see if my Chinese History & Culture Class could do this, or if i could get SADD involved.
Sadly, we don't have an Azn club, but it'd be awesome if we could!
So, my idea was....

to possibly inniate an Azn club.
But....we don't have many Azns where i go. crying
There's this one kid who's Cantonese (Chinese) and knows a whole bunch and stuff who'd be into the idea, but he'll graduate this year, and it's too late to start the club this year.... :/
Idk. Just a thought....

You could get any club to do it really :] and you don't need Asians to start an Asian club, just get people who are interested in Asian culture and stuff like that :]  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:19 am
Hey, atleast they still alive
Alive+animes==]
dead+no animes+no new games+no new technologies=Me X_X  

Hizou_Chan

Shadowy Phantom

14,925 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Nyob zoo! Hmong People Unite! Have fun! ^_^

Manage Your Items