Submit

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 am
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/extended-discussion/gun-control-yes-or-no-talk-to-me-people/t.69878461_181/

redem strikes again  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:37 am
I gave up arguing with him a few months ago.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 am
An even better question is why you keep trying to reason with him.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:49 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Ha-HA! Zing.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:48 pm
Should I even bother unblocking him to see his responses, or is it the same circle-jerking bullshit?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:20 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
I wouldnt say it's necessarily trying to reason with him.

it's more about protecting gullible individuals who might think what he has to say is a good idea if his statements go uncontested.

someone has to be there to disprove what he says.

consider it a method of containment. check and balance, whatever you wanna call it.

guerrilla warfare? maybe. my avi does appear to be a viet cong after all.  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Private Sanders

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 pm
A British guy just made a point I doubt he can get around: that, despite the gun laws, people are still getting shot all the time in his hometown (Nottingham, also referred to as Shottingham in Britain do to all the shootings.).  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:24 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Should I even bother unblocking him to see his responses, or is it the same circle-jerking bullshit?

nope. Don't even bother  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:43 am
Private Sanders
A British guy just made a point I doubt he can get around: that, despite the gun laws, people are still getting shot all the time in his hometown (Nottingham, also referred to as Shottingham in Britain do to all the shootings.).
The obvious solution is to round up all the farmers and their mums.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:20 am
Fresnel
Private Sanders
The obvious solution is to round up all the farmers and their mums.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Problem, officer?  

Private Sanders

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm
I just realized, this is the thread I called "inb4 Redem" on page 4 (?) two months ago.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:05 pm
I'd like to know why Gaia alerts me when Redem quotes me even though I have him blocked.

Although I have a feeling he did so because of the "******** like Redem" comment I made. Anyone care to confirm this for me?  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 pm
Requiem in Mortis
I'd like to know why Gaia alerts me when Redem quotes me even though I have him blocked.

Although I have a feeling he did so because of the "******** like Redem" comment I made. Anyone care to confirm this for me?

tl;dr I did not read any of this

Quote:
Requiem in Mortis
Too bad it won't do jack s**t to stop the people who are ACTUALLY committing crimes with guns, and I think a lot less criminals would be willing to ******** with a guy who carries an assault rifle around town.

Possibly, but that would simply alter who they chose as a victim, it wouldn't reduce the crime rate itself. It would also mean that criminals would be armed with assault rifles as well, so, they could still commit the same crimes, they would just have to have the element of surprise. Which, given that they have the choice as to where and when they act, they will always have.
Society gains nothing, and loses as the severity of incidents increases as confrontations become more violent.

Requiem in Mortis
Besides, look at Switzerland, the country with one of the highest gun ownership rates in Europe. People are legally required to own at least one gun there. Hell, they carry them EVERYWHERE- grocery stores, shopping malls, even goddamn banks. Not even just handguns- these guys get to carry assault rifles into banks. And yet they aren't a total murderfest. The criminals KNOW everyone else is packing, so they aren't stupid enough to do s**t.

Guns are common, but they're also heavily controlled. That's the key point under discussion. Not gun bans, but gun control.
People in Switzerland do not carry guns everywhere. To carry a gun requires a special permit to be carried at the same time, which are not often given to people outside the security sector. The only people who regularly carry weapons are those actively serving in the militia at the time. There are specific and strict regulations covering how and what guns can be bought, how they are to be stored and cared for and how they are to be transported. Plus, you cannot simply carry them with you whereever you go, but must go directly to wherever you are taking them. All purchases are tracked, ammo included.
They are not in the least a nation with lax gun control laws, if anything this is an argument for stronger gun control in the US, and an example of how strong gun control laws can be passed without actually restricting the ability to maintain a militia for defence.

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games