Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
DSi. or 3DS???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which one should I get?
  DSi
  3DS
View Results

cursedfirefox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:30 pm
So I have had my DSLite for awhile now and I think its time for an upgrade but my only question is upgrade it to what??? The DSi or the 3DS. Which one do you guys and gals think that I should get cause I am on the fence about it.

Thank you for any and all help that will be given.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 am
i have a DSi XL. it's awesome. im not quite ready for the 3DS  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

akkanatrum

5,900 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:51 am
This is just me, but I'm gonna keep my DSlite for a while longer. The 3DS has a lower battery life, if you're fine with that. Of course, longer if you turn the barrier off, then it'll last longer. I'd post the pros, but I have a feeling other people will do that and that you probably know the pros, so I'll list some of the negatives instead, and maybe that'll help you decide which system.

Personally, I don't see anything spectacular about the 3DS so far. I mean... 3d has been around- we just never used it very seriously (widespread in electronics) until recently. It's pretty much just stereoscopic imaging, but modified so you don't need the glasses. Thing is, as with all stereoscopic images, there's an optimal angle and distance to see the depth at its best. Plus, I'm thinking, everything has multiple versions. Apple comes out with a tablet, short while later, number two comes out and everyone discards the old one. I dunno what Nintendo plans, but they might eventually come out with a "better" one once people start to send in reviews.

DSi... well... My opinions may be vastly different than other people when I say this, but I need my gba game slot. XD Also... ok... camera, going on internet, watching movies... doesn't everything do that now? To me, these things are really... almost cliche now. The "extra" things on the DSi could be found in androids, tablets, almost anything. Unless someone doesn't have a tablet or a phone that can do all that, I don't think it's really needed.

Yeah, just my opinion. I'm not looking down on these systems, but just keep in mind what you want your gaming experience to be. Yours in different than mine. I have played on both DS systems in question (borrowed from my friend for a day each), but as I said, it's about you, not my experience from it, so I kept my personal experiences out of this.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 am
Thanks. Yeah the only reason I am considering an upgrade is cause I dropped my dslite and the L button doesn't work anymore and since its old I blew out one of my speakers too. So I don't know if I should upgrade or just replace my old DSLite.  

cursedfirefox

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am
Essentially... the 3DS is the DSi with perks... and a more expensive ticket. The only thing really going for the DSi that the 3DS doesn't have is pictochat... but then again... your DSlite can do that as it is... so basically the DSi is the middle ground between the DSlite and the 3DS.

The 3DS on the other hand, has the issue of not a lot of 3DS gamesout ... as it is a new system (besides the fact that it has most of the DS library), and the potential of developing into something fun.

So personally... I would recommend either getting a DSlite if you're not all into the 3D scene, or a 3DS if you are. The DSi, while neat with it's little gizmos and such, is completely dwarfed by the 3DS and is bound to suffer the same fate as the GBA micro.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:13 am
Go for 3DS if you like straining your eyes to see the screen which result in migraines =]  

RedFang JaZah

Shirtless Raider

7,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items