Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:58 am
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Hate to burst your bubble on bashing the AK but theres a video that compares the AR and AK. They shot the AR15 at 2 4x4 wood blocks and the bullet didn't go through. They did the same with AK and the bullet went through with a slight tumble but was still flying relatively straight.
That seems biased. I've put 55gr. FMJ .223 through light steel plates.
2 blocks back to back. I would post the video link but I'm on a smart phone so its really time consuming and frustrating. Actually they seemed to favor the AR over the AK because of the smoother firing and range potential.
I gotta say, there's nothing like an AR for smooth shooting. That huge buffer tube REALLY helps out. Although the gas up your nose from the charging handle can get a tad distracting.

Anywho, doesn't it seem odd that the caliber best suited for penetration did worse in a penetration test?
take into consideration that the 7.62 is a heavier set bullet so it weight being driven by a mach 3 force makes it a near juggernaut. Wood is also much different that steel or concrete since it a maleable substance.
Mach 2. .223 goes mach 3, and thinner profile projectiles at higher speeds are more suitable for penetration, e.g. flechettes.

I think the problem with wood is that no two shots are the same, due to grain. One goes through, another doesn't. One goes in one side and out the other, the next goes in the same side and out the top. Test FMJ on steel and .223 will destroy x39.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:38 am
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Fresnel
Valkyrie Hatter
Hate to burst your bubble on bashing the AK but theres a video that compares the AR and AK. They shot the AR15 at 2 4x4 wood blocks and the bullet didn't go through. They did the same with AK and the bullet went through with a slight tumble but was still flying relatively straight.
That seems biased. I've put 55gr. FMJ .223 through light steel plates.
2 blocks back to back. I would post the video link but I'm on a smart phone so its really time consuming and frustrating. Actually they seemed to favor the AR over the AK because of the smoother firing and range potential.
I gotta say, there's nothing like an AR for smooth shooting. That huge buffer tube REALLY helps out. Although the gas up your nose from the charging handle can get a tad distracting.

Anywho, doesn't it seem odd that the caliber best suited for penetration did worse in a penetration test?
take into consideration that the 7.62 is a heavier set bullet so it weight being driven by a mach 3 force makes it a near juggernaut. Wood is also much different that steel or concrete since it a maleable substance.
Mach 2. .223 goes mach 3, and thinner profile projectiles at higher speeds are more suitable for penetration, e.g. flechettes.

I think the problem with wood is that no two shots are the same, due to grain. One goes through, another doesn't. One goes in one side and out the other, the next goes in the same side and out the top. Test FMJ on steel and .223 will destroy x39.
Like i said. Wood's different from steel.  

Valkyrie Hatter

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items