Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Angelique Sedai

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:00 am
We've all heard that books never translate well or truly onto feature films, and I for one certainly don't know of any. I thought Pride & Prejudice was good as the TV mini series with Colin Firth, but I don't know any good films. Anyone know any movies that are good (not necessarily successful) and true to the original book?

Note: Please do not use Shakespearean plays or biographies as examples. Thanks so much.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:40 pm
I think there's practically no way for a book to translate well into a movie, haha.

But I did like Babe the Gallant Pig c:  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:46 pm
The problem with turning books into movies, is that, it's it's a novel they have to leave a lot out if they don't want it to be a 10 hour movie. Short stories fare better, because there is less detail, but i can't really think of any off the top of my head. I guess I don't really like movies much because there's not enough time for decent character development and growth...  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:05 am
I might sound like I'm contrradicting myself now but I recently watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and I actually thought it was better than the novel. wink  

Angelique Sedai

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:02 am
Angelique Sedai
I might sound like I'm contrradicting myself now but I recently watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and I actually thought it was better than the novel. wink

Really? What changes did the movie make that improved the original story/mood?

I saw that movie (haven't read the book), and wasn't as moved as my aunt, but maybe that had something to do with the fact that I had gone to a Holocaust museum for the first time recently, which changed me, and kind of made most Holocaust stories look tame at the same time.  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:40 am
The end scene was much more dramatic in the movie with the expression of guilt on the father's face and the mother screaming. In the book, it takes a couple of days for them to notice Bruno's gone. Of course the book is targeted ata young audience but I found the movie to actually surpass the intensity and drama in the novel.  

Angelique Sedai

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:07 am
Ah, I guess movies tend to like dramatic scenes...  
Honk if you love reading!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games