Submit

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:35 pm
walked into my local gun store today for the hell of it to buy a g26 grip extension and found several collectible articles.

first one I noticed was an Enfield no.5 jungle carbine in .303 very cool looking

second was an FN49 chambered in 8mm mauser.

and third, a spanish FR8 rifle in .308

found them among some rotary racks stocked with AK's and PSL's and other rifles but for some reason i've taken a liking to western guns produced around the end and right after WWII that fire full sized rounds.

I should probably mention that they all appear in wonderful condition but the FN49 is exceptionally beautiful with a flawless and shinier stock than the rest.

opinions gentlemen?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:36 am
The SMLE No. 5 was a pile of a**, I wouldn't get it. A design flaw caused a wandering zero, the things were notably more prone to jamming and rusting than other Enfields, and I think they're by far the loudest of the SMLE's, because of the flash suppressor. And the SMLE is pretty loud.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:44 pm
Fresnel
The SMLE No. 5 was a pile of a**, I wouldn't get it. A design flaw caused a wandering zero, the things were notably more prone to jamming and rusting than other Enfields, and I think they're by far the loudest of the SMLE's, because of the flash suppressor. And the SMLE is pretty loud.
yeah I heard about that  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:32 pm
Fresnel
A bolt-action rifle firing a full-sized .30 caliber round being loud? Who knew?  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:14 pm
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Well, there's a difference between a BAR and a BAR with a muzzle brake...  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:58 pm
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Which brings to mind that Saiga 12 you showed me with the two mags duct taped together and two muzzle brakes. xd  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Requiem in Mortis
Fresnel
Which brings to mind that Saiga 12 you showed me with the two mags duct taped together and two muzzle brakes. xd

Nah, they weren't taped. It was just two mags conjoined at the bottom, making one giant mag.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:39 am
Recon_Ninja_985
second was an FN49 chambered in 8mm mauser.

opinions gentlemen?

FN built some of the finest production rifles ever. I owned a licensed postwar production Mauser export used in Argentina in .30-06. Best deer rifle I had when I was in my teens.

The local Cabela's has an FN 49 in their used rack at the moment and it's tempting. The price was a little over $600. My only worry would be the availability of replacement parts.

/edit

Went by the store again for other reasons and took a closer look at the receiver. It appears this specific rifle had crudely stamped Hebrew letters on the side of the upper reciever. I seem to recall that the Israeli military used these rifles at some point.

It was also chambered for 8mm Mauser.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers