Reply Honk if you love reading!
Study: Fiction readers might be more empathetic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:52 am
There was a study done that concluded that fiction readers may be more empathetic.

Quote:
I just came across a study suggesting that fiction readers tend to be more empathic than non-fiction readers. This could of course be correlation rather than causation -- maybe the kind of person who likes fiction is more empathic to start with -- but the researchers think not. They believe that there's something about exposure to fiction -- the direct immersion in another person's mind and body -- that stimulates our empathic muscles.

(emphasis mine, because that might the most apt description of reading literature that I've seen yet. xd )
I think the science might be a little fuzzy (correlation vs. causation, as mentioned) but I'm wondering if there might be some truth to it. Do you think fiction readers are more empathetic overall?  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:25 pm
I don't know. I can completely lack empathy a lot of the time. Crying people unnerve me. Still, I can swallow down my discomfort in order to help other people, because I know that's what they need.

Though, I'm usually the exception, not the rule. I can see it being probably true for the majority.

tomb_robber_girl

No Gambling in Paradix
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 pm
I feel you man. no pun intended XD  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 pm
That's so cool! Since I want to be a fiction writer one day, I feel special knowing that my writing can impact people like this! mrgreen  

TheNewLibrarian

Witty Informer

9,600 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 pm
I can definitely see this being true.  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:54 am
Clover_IceQueen
That's so cool! Since I want to be a fiction writer one day, I feel special knowing that my writing can impact people like this! mrgreen

Yeah, it's pretty cool. whee

Similarly, recently another study said that people "become" part of the character's world when reading fiction...It's more like "becoming" the main character from my experience, but it's nice to see a study on the transformative power of reading.  

Bokusenou

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:02 pm
Bokusenou
Clover_IceQueen

Similarly, recently another study said that people "become" part of the character's world when reading fiction...It's more like "becoming" the main character from my experience, but it's nice to see a study on the transformative power of reading.
I think this last one depends more on the imagination/how good the author is, though....  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 am
Paradoxismminant
Bokusenou
Clover_IceQueen

I think this last one depends more on the imagination/how good the author is, though....

Yeah, if the author isn't good, then the reader will be bored, and not be "sucked into" the book's world.  

Bokusenou

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:54 pm
Bokusenou
Paradoxismminant
Bokusenou
Clover_IceQueen

Yeah, if the author isn't good, then the reader will be bored, and not be "sucked into" the book's world.
exactly!  
Honk if you love reading!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff