Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Shamanism and Witchcraft Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Swamp Shaman

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:07 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
SludgeGuzzlingShaman
Sanguina Cruenta
Shamanism is one particular cultural tradition of otherworld travel. I have never met an actual shaman, although I've met a lot of people who use the word anthropologically (and in error).

When you say "witchcraft tradition", which witchcraft tradition do you mean?

I will have to disagree with you, Shamanism is much more than a means of otherworld travel. In ancient times the Shaman would serve as healer, priest, historian, and spirit talker. The Shaman was the tribe's link to the otherworld.

When I say witchcraft tradition I mean god and goddess worship.

You are using the word anthropologically. This is hardly rare but nevertheless inappropriate; we are not anthropologists. "Shaman" refers to a Siberian tradition of what you described, not all traditions so related. Different cultures have different words, different traditions, different methods.

"God and goddess worship" is not witchcraft, though some traditions of witchcraft are theistic. Many are not. At any rate, the act of worshipping gods is not witchcraft in itself.

Yes the word shaman may come from the Sam'i culture but it has been well documented throughout near all tribal cultures that even if the location, social structure, deities, or other variables are diffrent the basic practice of the shaman remains the same.

Another thing, if to use the term Shaman is incorrect what would you have me call it?  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 pm
SludgeGuzzlingShaman

Yes the word shaman may come from the Sam'i culture but it has been well documented throughout near all tribal cultures that even if the location, social structure, deities, or other variables are diffrent the basic practice of the shaman remains the same.

Another thing, if to use the term Shaman is incorrect what would you have me call it?

They are not "the same". They are similar. To say they are the same is to obliterate all elements of culture and tradition associated with the various practices. Those elements are important. That's like saying "cakes and ale" is the same as communion because they both involve drinking and eating, and therefore, Wiccans are Catholics.

Call it what is appropriate given your personal tradition. If nothing is appropriate, call it "my personal otherworld tradition" or something.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games