Welcome to Gaia! ::

The zCampaign

Back to Guilds

Here to campaign on behalf of zOMG!, Gaia's neglected and dying MMO. 

Tags: zOMG!, Campaign 

Reply The General Forum
Monster Galaxy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarknessSage13

Dangerous Grabber

10,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:38 pm
So I guess Gaia is finally promoting Monster Galaxy, it kind of upsets me that this is part of the reason why Zomg isn't updating much. Since either half or most of the creators of Zomg made Monster Galaxy.

I hope they can take a break from updating Monster Galaxy and actually put a bit more effort in Zomg. I am sorry but I am tired of the same areas in Zomg. I want to explore more, see more, and fight new monsters.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 pm
Tjudgmentday8
So I guess Gaia is finally promoting Monster Galaxy, it kind of upsets me that this is part of the reason why Zomg isn't updating much. Since either half or most of the creators of Zomg made Monster Galaxy.

I hope they can take a break from updating Monster Galaxy and actually put a bit more effort in Zomg. I am sorry but I am tired of the same areas in Zomg. I want to explore more, see more, and fight new monsters.

Yeah it's a bit ridiculous, they already were short on members for the zomg staff. Then they decide to make monster galaxy which would result in less work on zomg, which is already backed by popular demand. Why bother to make another fighting game right now when they still need to work on and update zomg.

oh gaia what were you thinking ( face palm) sweatdrop  

BloodyTears7326

Supernatural Cupcake

dark meion gashe

Destructive Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:35 pm
Exactly what i was wondering, i didn't know the monster galaxy was made by gaia till i saw the trailer... and realized they recycled the music from zOMG, and that the art looks awfully gaian.

Probably why they posted on fb, sneaking it in and checking if it'd hold up to the crowd before putting it on gaia.  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:33 pm
dark meion gashe
Exactly what i was wondering, i didn't know the monster galaxy was made by gaia till i saw the trailer... and realized they recycled the music from zOMG, and that the art looks awfully gaian.

Probably why they posted on fb, sneaking it in and checking if it'd hold up to the crowd before putting it on gaia.

They didn't exactly sneak it. A beta version has been available for quite a while. I played it months ago and I only knew about it from some sort of announcement here. I expect they did it on FB to try to gather more people to Gaia. I like zomg but it might be harder to explain to people other than "It's an MMORPG". Telling people Monster Galaxy is a Pokemon clone is easier to explain. And pokemon is very popular.

The point about more products being supported by a finite number of developers is valid. It obviously means one or more things receives less attention. I'm just saying I don't think Gaia was being sneaky. They talked about it for months both online and at the convention meetups. I assume they are gambling it will ultimately generate more users / income for them. I hope they are right. I too am a bit tired of the 'same old' places in zomg.  

David2074

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300

DarknessSage13

Dangerous Grabber

10,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:33 pm
David2074
dark meion gashe

They didn't exactly sneak it. A beta version has been available for quite a while. I played it months ago and I only knew about it from some sort of announcement here. I expect they did it on FB to try to gather more people to Gaia. I like zomg but it might be harder to explain to people other than "It's an MMORPG". Telling people Monster Galaxy is a Pokemon clone is easier to explain. And pokemon is very popular.

The point about more products being supported by a finite number of developers is valid. It obviously means one or more things receives less attention. I'm just saying I don't think Gaia was being sneaky. They talked about it for months both online and at the convention meetups. I assume they are gambling it will ultimately generate more users / income for them. I hope they are right. I too am a bit tired of the 'same old' places in zomg.

I agree with David on this, they didn't sneak it, but they did take half of the staff from zOMG to work on this. Which to me feels like they were the main staff since zOMG is at a halt, or at lest at a snail pace. I guess its easier to explain MoGa to other users saying its like a pokemon clone. But if you stand back and look at it, why should Gaia make a pokemon clone game? Yes Pokemon is popular but Gaia should think up of their own Idea. I mean zOMG was something they came up on their own, but its slowly dying because they are not updating it.

I mean before they did say this MMORPG would run close to the big MMORPG's and be fun for everyone. But Gaia can't keep updating zOMG to run even a inch close to the big MMORPGs. I am sorry to say but how long I have been apart of Gaia, they have a short attention span. They run all over handing us new things and many Ideas they want to do. But they hand us half done projects with bugs and problems where they end up fixing some other year.

Don't take me wrong on this, I do like Gaia and will continue to come on here. I just wish they start finishing things that are half done. And look back on some of the old things that made Gaia so great and work on those things. Examples: Towns, Houses, Manga story line, Gaia Theaters, zOMG, Furniture for your house, Old Gaia (Wordbump, jigsaw, slots)  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:31 am
David2074
dark meion gashe

There was an anouncement, about a game, that's over on facebook. I assumed it was like that omgpop game, i didn't think it was a sepereate new gaia made game and all. And I don't go to any meetups, and i'm sure plenty more people don't since all conventions are situated in the US, so i didn't know until i saw the trailer in the anouncement. Either i'm really dense or they didn't make it 'obvious' until recently.

but yeah, half baked stuff :" d  

dark meion gashe

Destructive Dabbler

David2074

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:21 am
Tjudgmentday8
David2074
dark meion gashe

I agree with David on this, they didn't sneak it, but they did take half of the staff from zOMG to work on this. Which to me feels like they were the main staff since zOMG is at a halt, or at lest at a snail pace. I guess its easier to explain MoGa to other users saying its like a pokemon clone. But if you stand back and look at it, why should Gaia make a pokemon clone game? Yes Pokemon is popular but Gaia should think up of their own Idea. I mean zOMG was something they came up on their own, but its slowly dying because they are not updating it.

I mean before they did say this MMORPG would run close to the big MMORPG's and be fun for everyone. But Gaia can't keep updating zOMG to run even a inch close to the big MMORPGs. I am sorry to say but how long I have been apart of Gaia, they have a short attention span. They run all over handing us new things and many Ideas they want to do. But they hand us half done projects with bugs and problems where they end up fixing some other year.

Don't take me wrong on this, I do like Gaia and will continue to come on here. I just wish they start finishing things that are half done. And look back on some of the old things that made Gaia so great and work on those things. Examples: Towns, Houses, Manga story line, Gaia Theaters, zOMG, Furniture for your house, Old Gaia (Wordbump, jigsaw, slots)

Really? Gaia said zomg would be on par or close to the big name MMORPGs?
That seems highly unlikely even if they had not pulled off coders to work on other stuff. I like zomg but it lacks a number of elements popular in the big names. The art is mostly 'cute' or 'cartoonish' rather than trying to look realistic, it lacks any classes or specialized weaponry and skills, there are boss monsters but very little in the way of 'quests' except a few sort of lame ones - and so on. It also has virtually nothing to sell in the cash shop. Nothing you need anyway. I finished the game and never used a power up. I own several mascots for supporting the game but they are hardly needed for play.

I'm pretty sure Gaia too wishes they were not leaving things broken and postponing desired updates and changes. I worked for 11 years at a software development company. During hard times I watched them struggle with tough decisions about which projects to cancel or postpone. It was never easy.

Gaia has had some tough financial times and laid off 20-30% of their employees based on some estimates I have seen. That is an extremely strong indicator of "things are not going so well". I expect more than one coder, artist etc has been diverted from a project they love to a project management thinks will generate more cash income. Probably the general theme is "if we can just hang on a bit longer, get through the recession, roll out this shiny new project... down the road things will get better and we can catch up on all that back burner stuff".

It doesn't help that Gaia's target audience is mostly a bunch of young teens with no clue about running a corporation. At my old job we at least had the advantage that our customers were adults who had their own businesses. When the economy sucked for us it was usually sucking for them so they were more understanding. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone here; I'm just observing the reality that by definition Gaia's stated target audience is less mature. I do think this guild has the right idea by discussing and trying to make known to Gaia the wishes of users about zomg. In tough times sometimes the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

@dark meion gashe
I apologize - I can't remember how I learned about it and don't have a link so I can't say how good or bad the info was. With the exception of perhaps fish / aquarium stuff I don't consider myself very well informed on Gaia yet somehow I knew about it. Possibly it was a dev notice. Gaia has been trying to keep users informed via the Site Changes thread but it still seems a great many users don't bother to subscribe to it.

Anyway - could Gaia have done a better job of informing users? Definitely. Was MoGa an intentional secret? No, I don't think so. I think they just didn't spend a lot of time pushing something that was still a beta. Consider that a great many Gaians b***h about what doesn't work right and demand it gets fixed NOW. Probably frustrating for the devs to send that crowd over to a project they know is still a beta. smile  
The General Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games