Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:33 pm
At long last, I've narrowed down the choice for my next pistol.

The high end is going to be the Chiappa Rhino 2" revolver.

Advantages to the Rhino are size and weight, caliber (.357 Magnum) and control. Disadvantage is the limited number of rounds available in a high stress situation.

The very attractive alternative is the Ruger SR-40 semi-auto.

Advantages are weight, caliber (.40 S&W) plus capacity (15 round magazine). The final advantage is the price, which is almost $370 less than the Rhino. Lost is the ability to conceal with ease. Also lost is the single action option, though the trigger pull is outstanding.

Will be ordering the final choice sometime this week.

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/725

http://www.impactguns.com/rug-40s-41-blkally-3471-3471-736676034710.aspx  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:18 pm
How big are you? (totally glad this place is a sausage fest now since I would get killed asking a woman with a gun this question) xd

I'm leaning towards the Ruger. I don't like a 2" barrel on a gun. I guess I'm a bit of a stickler for accuracy. The ruger is only 4oz heavier than the rhino and holds more than double the ammo per mag.

If you're going for performance the Rhino looks like it would fair better in smaller hands. Being a large handed behemoth that doesn't appeal to me but if you're a smaller guy that might not be an issue.

Concealment may or may not be an issue here. If you plan to get this for the specific purpose of concealment the rhino is the better choice. If you're a pretty good sized person and maybe a little creative in finding a place to conceal it the ruger might not be too bad.  

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:07 pm
you considered an XD 40 compact or a g27 at all?

or even the px4 compact? 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:45 am
Das Rabble Rouser
How big are you? (totally glad this place is a sausage fest now since I would get killed asking a woman with a gun this question) xd

I'm leaning towards the Ruger. I don't like a 2" barrel on a gun. I guess I'm a bit of a stickler for accuracy. The ruger is only 4oz heavier than the rhino and holds more than double the ammo per mag.

If you're going for performance the Rhino looks like it would fair better in smaller hands. Being a large handed behemoth that doesn't appeal to me but if you're a smaller guy that might not be an issue.

Concealment may or may not be an issue here. If you plan to get this for the specific purpose of concealment the rhino is the better choice. If you're a pretty good sized person and maybe a little creative in finding a place to conceal it the ruger might not be too bad.

I have a Bersa for pure concealment, but its only a .380 ACP. The Ruger would ride nicely in a compartment in my laptop carry case (the real reason I want to start carrying a pistol).

For the record, I'm just shy of 6 foot tall. I've handled both pistols myself and find more weakness in the Rhino's grip and lack of aftermarket replacements. I could shoot it with little trouble. The biggest issue remains the price point, which is far too high for a snub nose revolver.

The Ruger's grip is incredibly small considering it holds a double stack magazine. It's not as top heavy when the mag is almost empty as other synthetic frame pistols. Everyone who has tested it raves over how easy it is to shoot for a .40 S&W. And the 4.1" barrel is a big plus. It isn't a target pistol, but that's not what I need for self defense.

I'd love to buy in to a higher end Springfield, Kimber or H&K, but those are big bucks guns. The Ruger will come in well under $500 with a spare magazine. (the only weak point of the Ruger package is you only get one mag with the gun, and spares are over $31 each!)

I should have my carry conceal permit around the same time as my pistol is delivered at the local Impact Gun dealer. Photos when it arrives.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 pm
I ordered a black 15 round Ruger SR-40 yesterday. It is a popular item. No one has one in stock, so it may take a month or more, given that Ruger's workers are filling orders for their new 1911 model as fast as they can. That's their priority at the moment.

Photos when I finally get it.  
Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff