Disappointing books

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Paradoxismminant
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:24 am
You know how sometimes you pick up a book, thinking it'll be awesome?

...yeah. emo

Discuss: letdown literature  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:14 am
I felt let down by Inkheart. I mean there were parts that I loved, characters too, but compared to how others felt about it I felt a bit let down, that and the plot to me wasn't anything different really.  

henred5

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:33 am
I was let down by Naoya Shiga's A Dark Night's Passing. I read pages of reviews saying how good it was, yet when I read it, the novel seemed to ramble on and on, although the setting in Shouwa era Japan was interesting, too much of the novel was just about the main character pitying himself.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:51 am
Bokusenou
I was let down by Naoya Shiga's A Dark Night's Passing. I read pages of reviews saying how good it was, yet when I read it, the novel seemed to ramble on and on, although the setting in Shouwa era Japan was interesting, too much of the novel was just about the main character pitying himself.
I think that happens a lot. Especially with Mary-sues, you know? Like "omg, I'm so perfect, everyone fights over me whyyyyy"  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Bokusenou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:16 am
Paradoxismminant
Bokusenou
I think that happens a lot. Especially with Mary-sues, you know? Like "omg, I'm so perfect, everyone fights over me whyyyyy"
LOL Yeah, but you need to like or empathize with the character in order to like that kind of novel...Otherwise it's just painful to read.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:19 am
Bokusenou
Paradoxismminant
Bokusenou
LOL Yeah, but you need to like or empathize with the character in order to like that kind of novel...Otherwise it's just painful to read.
Haha, yeah XD
but either you love 'em or you hate 'em  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Angelique Sedai

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:33 pm
I must admit I was a little bit disappointed with the Count of Monte Cristo, primarily because the pacing was WAY too slow in my opinion. I'd heard that it was an amazing classic but it definitely didn't feel that way when I actually read it.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:39 pm
Angelique Sedai
I must admit I was a little bit disappointed with the Count of Monte Cristo, primarily because the pacing was WAY too slow in my opinion. I'd heard that it was an amazing classic but it definitely didn't feel that way when I actually read it.

Really? It's on my "to read" list. I think most classic novels are longer because people expected them to be long. Did you make it to the end?  

Bokusenou

Angelique Sedai

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:25 am
Bokusenou
Angelique Sedai

Really? It's on my "to read" list. I think most classic novels are longer because people expected them to be long. Did you make it to the end?

I made it to the end and the storyline was in no way terrible, but I just feel that it could have been much better if some of the irrelevant background details were cut out. I mean, I'm all for world- and character-building, but it just stretched out too much. Just my opinion though, you might love it!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:18 pm
Angelique Sedai
Bokusenou
Angelique Sedai

I made it to the end and the storyline was in no way terrible, but I just feel that it could have been much better if some of the irrelevant background details were cut out. I mean, I'm all for world- and character-building, but it just stretched out too much. Just my opinion though, you might love it!

Ah, it's slow. Yeah, I'll give it a try, sometimes I love slow books and sometimes I hate them. XD  

Bokusenou

Wilder Wein MCMXCII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:45 am
IT, by Stephen King, but I'm guessing that was probably because I tried to read the Dutch translation and horror (or fantasy for that matter) usually doesn't translate that well to Dutch in my opinion. It just sounds cheesy. I am planning on reading it in English some time though.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 am
I was very disappointed in Artemis Fowl. I'd heard it was so awesome so I tried reading it...yeah, that didn't work out very well. I think I got to chapter 2 and just said screw it and stopped. It was just so boring. And, I dunno about you guys, but the idea of a young boy making a living out of being a criminal isn't exactly settling in the stomach...  

Flarityxx18

Wilder Wein MCMXCII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 pm
I loved those Artemis Fowl books when I was little. But when I discovered them I had never heard of them before, so I read them without any preconceptions.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:00 am
Well, on that note about classics rambling on...I don't know if this was always true, but at certain times the authors were paid by the word, so of course they'd make a longer story.  

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

Honk if you love reading!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff