Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dolphin Mania v2

Back to Guilds

Always at the leading edge of Booty Grab! 

Tags: Booty Grab, Dolphin Mania, Panda, Penguin, Rick James 

Reply Fish Talk! (Guides, Discussion, etc)
A few questions as I begin my journey of starting a new tank

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eltanin Sadachbia

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:08 am
I have been looking into starting a tank for awhile. I have read allot of the guides in this guild and combed the forums for the best advice. There is luckily not allot of conflict between advice an opinions I read and receive, so I know pretty much what I want to do. I want an all dolphin tank preferably, but if I have to mix it up, I don't plan to settle for anything less than airsharks or stone coatls.

I have a couple worries though... I know that as of right now, with my puny hermit cat/goldfish habitat, the people who play it and I are not getting the gold they win. I have seen that it is probably more to do with the small and few fish, but I wanted to double check that no one with expensively stocked tanks are having issues.

Another issue I have is that I had 12 goldfish (some have died now), an arrowfish, and 4 hermit cats, but whenever my tank does glow, only one goldfish would glow. Does anyone know why this is? Does this happen with bigger better fish?

How exactly does happiness affect a tank and its inhabitants? I am in the 80% range, and if happiness helps my fish drop or glow, then I thought I might hold the fish I buy until I am at 100%.

Summary:
*Is there any reason I should not mix stone coatls and airsharks with dolphins?
*Is anyone with high trigger/high gold volume tanks having issues not getting the gold that is won by players?
*Do all high trigger/high gold volume fish in a full tank glow at the same time?
*How does happiness affect a tank?

I have more questions, that I will probably post as I go along, but right now these are the 4 that are on the top of my mind. Thanks for any answers in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 am
Eltanin Sadachbia

Summary:

*Is anyone with high trigger/high gold volume tanks having issues not getting the gold that is won by players?

When I had a full dolphin tank I had no issues, but I've been hearing with all the changes and things gaia has done to BG over the past year and so have really changed how many people actually will play a tank and are you talking about not getting gold like if a player gets 2k that you aren't getting the gold from their play or just not getting full tank plays?

*How does happiness affect a tank?

People say happiness will make your fish glow more often and they will drop more gold. For me it has no affect at all whether I have a 50 percent happiness or 100 percent happiness. My tanks still glow the same and give out the same. I know this because I never visit my tank and feed the fish or maintain the happiness.

azndreams

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50

Eltanin Sadachbia

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 pm
Thanks that helps allot.

I remember how disheartened I was when DM was shut down. I had just discovered it about a month before it closed, and I was really enjoying how quickly I could make gold. I didn't even realize what the aquarium thread was for. redface

It took me another couple months to get into using the aquarium thread. Then I realized what the bumps were for. Now, I pretty much bump every time I play unless I get in at like number 30 or so. If the tank isn't glowing when I'm done, I don't bump.

I don't play them much anymore, partly because I can't keep up with the changes they make. I had finally developed a working understanding of how to play, then suddenly one day I go into a full dolphin tank and come away with 56 gold that a multiplier was applied to, and I had no idea what was going on.

But, I have started increasing my BG time again, and I feel I have a pretty good handle on the idea of it again, and I need a new Gaia job, because I don't have the time to plug my art or vend like I used to.

I do plan to have a full 17 dolphins if I can pull it off, and I don't see why I can't. I am buying them and storing them until I have all 17. I took that advice from Es (although in the same post he said no one takes his advice).

I am a bit confused about happiness, I don't see why it's there if it doesn't do anything. Of course, it definitely wouldn't be the first time that Gaia had a useless feature. LOL

I probably will have time to build my happiness up to 100% before I have 17 dolphins anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 pm
the only problem I could see with mixing coatls/dolphins/sharks would be their lifespans. Dolphins will live much longer than the other fish and when your coatls and sharks die you will be stuck with just dolpins.
I would try and shoot for a tank containing fish of the same kind, or fish that have similar lifespans. Like a full dolphin tank, full mermaid, full shark, etc.

From what I have seen with my tank, happiness does not affect the glow times or the amount of gold your tanks earn. I think it's just a cute little feature that gaia added expecting people to strive for it, and ended up completely useless.

Not all fish can glow at the same time in a single tank. You see this a lot with mermaids. for example out of a tank of 17 you would be lucky to have just five or six glow. Dolphins on the other hand usually glow 17 at a time. Funny how that works huh?

I always try to recommend buying a tank of Irrawaddy dolphins with 20 bucks in GC before starting a major tank like sharks/coatls. The Irrawaddy dolphins only live a month, but they will get your tank noticed and give you the opportunity to get thread invites before investing a huge chunk of money into higher fish.

I hope I made sense. D;  

Podium
Crew

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

azndreams

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 pm
Eltanin Sadachbia

Well happiness is more for affecting the gifts you get from the overseer clam in your tank is what I've seen, but even then at 100 percent I still get crap from it over the time I've had a tank and yes it should affect the fish and how much they drop for gold, but for me it never has. So on my side it's a useless feature. You do know you could get the cheaper irrawady dolphins if you're going to use GC to get them and they have the exact same stats as the regular dolphins, but they just only last 1 month versus the other dolphins lasting 4 months.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:14 pm
I think I am going for the long haul wink

But I will definitely keep it in mind for sure. If I get antsy to start up, I may complete a tank with them if I have enough regulars that I can complete the 17 by the time the irrawadies die.  

Eltanin Sadachbia

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

azndreams

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:21 pm
Well if you want long haul get mermaids. Although not popular and don't glow all at the same time they live for 10months. That's almost the entire year and also they can get you like 100k a day if you were to get full tank plays each time they glowed.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:19 pm
Let me correct myself...

I want the longer haul with the best payout... wink  

Eltanin Sadachbia

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

azndreams

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:39 pm
Go with the Blue Dolphins then. The ones that are 499 GC in the Aquarium Shop. They live for 4months and if you get full plays each time it glows you could potentially make up to 200k a day from it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:48 pm
azndreams
Go with the Blue Dolphins then. The ones that are 499 GC in the Aquarium Shop. They live for 4months and if you get full plays each time it glows you could potentially make up to 200k a day from it.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Direct Link to Tank ǁ Bump Here when I glow

It's damn near impossible to make 200k a day.
I fill at least 5 games a day and make about 120k. xD

Podium
Crew

Lonely Man-Lover

13,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Way Too Many Pies 300

azndreams

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:50 pm
Podium

You said near impossible, but that leaves that small percentage that you could still get up to that. Although yeah it would take alot of work though. Yeah 100k a day would be more realistic.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:22 am
Well, I am hoping for about 90K to 100K a day, and more than that would just be gravy. I think I have done enough offers and have enough CG between this account and a couple mules for about half a tank of dolphins so far.

I am hoping for one of those half price Phin Phang events and then I would go so far as to go out and buy a few cash cards. It was probably about this time last year that they did that right? Well, it doesn't hurt to dream anyway. rolleyes

I have also been vending when I can, so I might be able to purchase some of the dolphins in the MP, but I think I would rather use my CG from offers.  

Eltanin Sadachbia

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Eltanin Sadachbia

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:26 am
So anyway...

By Friday, my tank should be 100% happy... I will more have enough funds to fill my tank with Irrawaddy dolphins (thanks to the Outfit Shop), but I am still considering holding out for blue dolphins.

I suppose I will start toying around with art and graphics for an aquarium thread.

Does anyone have preferences on how to go about building a bump thread in the main forums?

I guess I am wondering if it would be better to have my very own thread, or if I should find someone to partner with...  
Fish Talk! (Guides, Discussion, etc)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games