Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Hey, you guys!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:04 am
I've noticed we've been a bit quiet as a guild lately, so I thought I'd try to scrounge up some more discussion topics. I'm interested in what you'd like to see more of in this guild - I hate posting topics people don't find interesting, and it's easier to think of stuff to post if I have some idea of what people would like to see wink

Here's a list to get you started. Let us know what you'd like to see more of, and if it's not on the list, make sure to mention it!

Threads about:
- different types of Paganism
- "beginner" topics and issues
- witchcraft
- gods
- mythology
- spiritual or magical experiences
- the natural world
- offerings and rituals
- history and culture
- books

Also remember:
- as awesome as it is to read stuff, there'll be nothing to read if people don't post, so don't feel shy and contribute a little something to a thread, even if it's not much ^_^ I know a lot of people like to lurk, but if you prod a thread from time to time, there will be more for lurkers to read as others respond.
- you are always free to make your own threads, be they discussion, low-content, poetry etc. Just keep it in the right forum and you're golden... and if you're unsure, don't worry, the crew can always move it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:08 pm
Magical Herbalism (instead of medicinal herbalism)  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 am
I love reading about mythology, especially how to incorporate mythology into practice (or deepening symbolism through mythology)

I also very much enjoy hearing about others spiritual and magical experiences smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:19 am
Awesome, great feedback!  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am
Check out my Warriors Roleplay

Right, right, turn off the lights Different types of Paganism. It bothers me when people think only one religion is pagan, and I love learning about this sort of thing. We're gonna lose our minds tonight

I do Art Commissions. PM me for details.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:10 pm
@ Esiris: I'd love to see a thread on magical herbalism vs medicinal herbalism though I'm not knowledgable enough in either subject to get a thread up and running. Comparing different schools of magical herbalism to medicinal and seeing where they align and speculating on why would probably be fun.

All the topics I can think up but don't quite have time to write on in big depth:

What people think our modern myths are. I tend to lean towards comics and video games as forms of modern myths, but I guess depending on how it's looked at maybe Harry Potter and Twilight and Lord of the Rings are all part of our tapestry of what heroism is and what is valued in modern culture.

Altar creation: in particular I'd like to hear more about traveling altars, temporary altars, or outdoor altars/shrines. What's important on them. What's the tactile, visual, auditory or scent value on them. Is your altar public, and if so how much explanation is required for others to understand?

If you have an altar what's the most important thing on it and why? If you don't have an altar and want one what would be the must have part on it?

Oh separate topic what sense do you use most in your practice? Are you visual, tactile, auditory, scent or taste? Do you use all of your senses, how do you create rituals/ memories/ correlations in between all of those senses? Do you believe in some kind of intuitive or 6th sense? How do you describe that? What does it do? How important is it? Does this 6th sense work in conjunction with the other 5 or contrary or some other way?

Local spirits and deity: what do you think of them? Are they part of your practice? Do you sense them in your area? What are their general ideas of goals and wisdom?

On a related tangent I'm interested in elements of the earth itself. Like a spirit of a mountain or stream or river or meadow. I just wonder about what changes we make to the earth and whether the earth would actually consider it damage. For example: I read an article about mountains several months ago about mountains and how mountain spirits were hurt and angered by mining. I just wondered about why this would hurt the mountain. I mean yeah it hurts people in the long term and it altered the environment but I don't see how that inherently hurts the mountain. Those seem like human concerns to me that are projected onto the mountain spirit. Also it has me wondering if mountain spirits and other landform based spirits die or if they just change with the land. A mountain eventually erodes and when that happens would a mountain spirit die or would it change? I mean does it's will and consciousness and power slowly erode with each bit of dirt and rock? If that's the case, I could see how mining hurts the spirit. I could see how even taking a stone home from the mountain may be an offense.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

mominchat

mominchat

Tipsy Vampire

10,300 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:41 pm
I would love to hear more about everyone's experiences spiritual/magical/etc and I also have a big thing for books. ^-^

Btw, I haven't been here in a long while. Or even gaia, for that matter. No clue why, really. emo  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:57 pm
I can always transfer my stuff on Kemeticism over here once I finally get my butt into gear.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

mominchat

mominchat

Tipsy Vampire

10,300 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:35 pm
blindfaith^_^
@ Esiris: I'd love to see a thread on magical herbalism vs medicinal herbalism though I'm not knowledgable enough in either subject to get a thread up and running. Comparing different schools of magical herbalism to medicinal and seeing where they align and speculating on why would probably be fun.

All the topics I can think up but don't quite have time to write on in big depth:

What people think our modern myths are. I tend to lean towards comics and video games as forms of modern myths, but I guess depending on how it's looked at maybe Harry Potter and Twilight and Lord of the Rings are all part of our tapestry of what heroism is and what is valued in modern culture.

Altar creation: in particular I'd like to hear more about traveling altars, temporary altars, or outdoor altars/shrines. What's important on them. What's the tactile, visual, auditory or scent value on them. Is your altar public, and if so how much explanation is required for others to understand?

If you have an altar what's the most important thing on it and why? If you don't have an altar and want one what would be the must have part on it?

Oh separate topic what sense do you use most in your practice? Are you visual, tactile, auditory, scent or taste? Do you use all of your senses, how do you create rituals/ memories/ correlations in between all of those senses? Do you believe in some kind of intuitive or 6th sense? How do you describe that? What does it do? How important is it? Does this 6th sense work in conjunction with the other 5 or contrary or some other way?

Local spirits and deity: what do you think of them? Are they part of your practice? Do you sense them in your area? What are their general ideas of goals and wisdom?

On a related tangent I'm interested in elements of the earth itself. Like a spirit of a mountain or stream or river or meadow. I just wonder about what changes we make to the earth and whether the earth would actually consider it damage. For example: I read an article about mountains several months ago about mountains and how mountain spirits were hurt and angered by mining. I just wondered about why this would hurt the mountain. I mean yeah it hurts people in the long term and it altered the environment but I don't see how that inherently hurts the mountain. Those seem like human concerns to me that are projected onto the mountain spirit. Also it has me wondering if mountain spirits and other landform based spirits die or if they just change with the land. A mountain eventually erodes and when that happens would a mountain spirit die or would it change? I mean does it's will and consciousness and power slowly erode with each bit of dirt and rock? If that's the case, I could see how mining hurts the spirit. I could see how even taking a stone home from the mountain may be an offense.

Oh yes, more about altars, too! ^-^  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:07 pm
blindfaith^_^

Honestly I think the questions you've posed in here make perfect thread-starters on their own. I'll leave it up to you to re-post them as specific threads if you'd like to do that. (No point in me doing it as I'll just end up copy-pasting the questions you've asked here xd )  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 pm
Figured I'd ask in here before posting about it to see if other people were interested about it. I was thinking, since there seemed to be quite a lot of talk about Tarot but not about other divination techniques, if people were interested at all about other, less common, ways. I would be able to post a how to for doing readings with Clow Cards(yes the ones from the anime Card Captor Sakura) that can also be used with regular playing cards.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Has anyone yet mentioned topic about how paganism in general is portrayed in the media?

Ren LehCrow

Amorous Lovergirl

7,100 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Knight 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games