Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:49 am
I've read some of this book and found it helpful. And somewhat useful.

Is it one to avoid or to read?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 am
I'm not a fan.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 am
Sanguina Cruenta
I'm not a fan.

Oh? Why is that?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 am
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
I'm not a fan.

Oh? Why is that?

Ehhh, she goes on about how her witchcraft is totally old and stuff and it's so obvious that she draws heavily from outer-court "Wicca" stuff. I remember reading in an older edition, not sure if it's still there, she disparaged Wicca in her introduction for being all newfangled and stuff. Irony. But there's not all that much substance in her work, you can't really tell what her tradition is.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 am
Azareas Aquarinus

Oh? Why is that?

I think anyone who identifies Freya with Peace is pretty far off base.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am

To be completely honest, I have not read it all the way through. I just leafed through it at a friends house. From what I read if it, she's a bit inconsistent in her explanations and I feel that consistency is important. So, for ME its not a good book.

My friend, however, really enjoyed it.

Ren LehCrow

Amorous Lovergirl

7,100 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Knight 100

Katefox Tarnagona

Shameless Genius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 am
I haven't read, or even looked through this book, but I have Ann Moura's Grimoire for a Green Witch, which I picked up second hand. I don't think I'm going to be buying anything else of hers because her history is pretty sketchy. She claims it's a family tradition dating back to 1890-something (don't remember the exact year, and don't have my book here to check), but the rituals, and holidays, and such are really obviously heavily influenced by (presumably outer-court) Wicca...which was founded in the 1940s or 1950s. This doesn't add up, obviously, and makes anything else she claims about history suspect, in my opinion.

I've also heard she's very negative and disparaging about Christianity; though I haven't encountered this myself (the book I have being mostly point-form notes of rituals, spells, and correspondences), it's definitely something that would put me off her.

I also haven't found anything especially greener about her witchcraft tradition, so I think the name's a bit misleading. But that's me being nitpicky.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus
Sanguina Cruenta
I'm not a fan.

Oh? Why is that?

Ehhh, she goes on about how her witchcraft is totally old and stuff and it's so obvious that she draws heavily from outer-court "Wicca" stuff. I remember reading in an older edition, not sure if it's still there, she disparaged Wicca in her introduction for being all newfangled and stuff. Irony. But there's not all that much substance in her work, you can't really tell what her tradition is.

I agree with you there.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am
Katefox Tarnagona
I haven't read, or even looked through this book, but I have Ann Moura's Grimoire for a Green Witch, which I picked up second hand. I don't think I'm going to be buying anything else of hers because her history is pretty sketchy. She claims it's a family tradition dating back to 1890-something (don't remember the exact year, and don't have my book here to check), but the rituals, and holidays, and such are really obviously heavily influenced by (presumably outer-court) Wicca...which was founded in the 1940s or 1950s. This doesn't add up, obviously, and makes anything else she claims about history suspect, in my opinion.

This is exactly my problem. Now I can accept that she's a member of a famtrad, but she implies her famtrad is consistent, and given what hers appears to contain, there's really no way it can be. I doubt very much that her mother, let alone her grandmother, were Pagan witches.

I don't have a problem with her adding a whole heap to what she's learned, but the way she implies it was passed down to her practically as is is dishonest.

She also wrote a history of witchcraft which is just abysmal, apparently (haven't read it myself), so on that basis I'd distrust anything she said regarding history.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Katefox Tarnagona

This is exactly my problem. Now I can accept that she's a member of a famtrad, but she implies her famtrad is consistent, and given what hers appears to contain, there's really no way it can be. I doubt very much that her mother, let alone her grandmother, were Pagan witches.

I don't have a problem with her adding a whole heap to what she's learned, but the way she implies it was passed down to her practically as is is dishonest.

She also wrote a history of witchcraft which is just abysmal, apparently (haven't read it myself), so on that basis I'd distrust anything she said regarding history.

I know take everything you read, with a bit of salt. I don't believe everything I read in her book. But, I got some good ideas. Such as Coming of Age rites, and Dedication.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games