Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
Subforum "Invisibility" - A Suggestion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48 am
Hi everyone! I'm Ebony, and I'm the captain of the NSTG.

In the NSTG, many a member has presented the crew with ideas for new subforums. We already have an array of them that we would someday like to introduce to the guild, especially one for roleplaying. But the thing is, all of our current subforums are either moderately or highly active, and we're not willing to empty any of them out. We would like to create a roleplaying subforum and be able to test it out for a while -- perhaps a six-month period. And then determine whether or not it was worth keeping and maintaining.

We have asked before for the option to delete subforums, perhaps for a price. While I love this option, I would like to put our guild funds to good, long-lasting use.

What if all subforums whose contents were only visible to the crew ... were only visible to the crew? When a regular member comes into my guild, they see a list of several subforums, including crew-only subforums, such as our Crew Workshop, Crew Discussion, and Holiday Event subforum (which is closed the majority of the time). It would be helpful if these subforums did not appear in the list of subforums that a regular member sees when coming into my guild. It clutters their view of the subforums they can explore and, to be honest, serves no purpose to them, as they can't access it.

So, let's say we create this roleplaying subforum in the end. And it doesn't work out (not enough user participation or whatever). I can simply hide it instead of deleting it, a process which might cost the guild money (should the option ever be introduced to guilds). While the crew and members brainstorm other uses for that subforum, we could simply hide the subforum until we know what it is we want to try next.

Spoons: What are your thoughts? Do you guys want "invisible" subforums? Should crew-only subforums and "invisible" subforums be mutually exclusive, or should we assume that crew-only subforums don't serve any purpose to a guild's member population?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 am
This is a very good idea, Ebony. I had thought of the deleting subforums and such, but this is one I haven't thought of yet. This really doesn't sound all that bad to me.

When users see very many Crew-Only subforums then it can kinda turn 'em off from the guild, too. That's just not what they wanna see. However, if they could see 'em, that'd make everything an entirely different story. We wouldn't have to worry about our users being distracted by the Crew-Only subforum(s) in our guilds, yet we could have as many of them as we wanted.

I think this would be most beneficial to the guilds and their "user navigation simplicity." That's just my opinion, but I really think most people will like this idea.

I'll try to get on again some other time and respond some more, but right now I'm typing all of this very quickly so I can leave for church. I'll definitely try to respond again later on though.

Amensu Saje

6,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:11 pm
I would love this option.

It would be a great way for crews to run their guilds.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:49 pm
I like it!! heart  

pheonix20222

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:21 pm
This is one of the options we asked Pan for in the proposal. I am waiting to see if we get an answer soon!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:15 pm
Wow, thanks for the feedback, everyone!

@mamarita: Oh, whoops. sweatdrop Well, I agree! I hope we do receive an answer soon! This would benefit the NSTG (and, from what I can see, a lot of other guilds) greatly!

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:20 pm
Got my vote, if it counts.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:48 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou