Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zella L.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:41 am
EDIT: Updated image: User Image

Hmm...
Sure had fun with this. Is there some sort of deadline as well?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:19 pm
Zella L.
Hmm...
Sure had fun with this. Is there some sort of deadline as well?

Looks good!
And I'm actually just waiting for there to be at least 4 entries...other than myself. If need be, I'd be okay with just 3 entries other than my own.

I want it to be all fair and stuff...if that even makes sense. Once there's enough entries, I'll make a little warning that in a few days I'll close the contest to entries and there will be a poll where everyone can vote on their favorite idea.

I'll probably post mine eventually. It's kinda done, I was just waiting for more entries and I've been lazy. xp  

Garek Maxwell

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 pm
Bleh, sorry. I thought I responded to this and turns out my internet crashed before it posted. >.<
Garek Maxwell
They're not much better with a photograph, which is what I do usually because I'm too lazy! x3

I've had to use photographs to put my tail work up on DA and photos are just awful, unless you have one of those super awesome expensive cameras. It's amazing how poor colour quality can be on those things without just the right lighting. =/

Garek Maxwell
Hey, no problem. I learned the basics of photoshop just before highschool 'cause my brother got it back then. I had a long time to learn and get used to it. ...Everything else adobe was new when I got to college though. Well, except for flash but back when I got it was a Macromedia product. I just had a lot of time to learn these things.

Anyway, yeah, I really love that site. I hope to make some interesting maps of my own. I once had fun tweaking with one but never did a serious work on good fantasy map. I'd probably spend days looking for the perfect typeface anyway. xd

Oh yeah. I started photoshop way back on version 7, but I ended up just sticking with it so long that when I finally got the CS series all of the new tools were so intimidating I didn't want to touch them. razz
I remember Macromedia. I liked flash better back when they had it. Once it became an Adobe product I thought it got harder to use The menus and stuff got harder to find or something. razz

I've had fun making maps lately. Though I want to try making one that looks like an old style ink map on parchment one of these days.
If you need a good font though for a fantasy map I've found a couple that look pretty good. Beyond Wonderland, Black Chancery, and Pierre Light are ones that have always worked well for me. :3  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 pm
Zuri-kai
Bleh, sorry. I thought I responded to this and turns out my internet crashed before it posted. >.<

S'okay! Happens to everyone. :3

Zuri-kai
I've had to use photographs to put my tail work up on DA and photos are just awful, unless you have one of those super awesome expensive cameras. It's amazing how poor colour quality can be on those things without just the right lighting. =/

Hmm... Well, I've needed to take photos of things before that weren't flat drawings. I found it a lot easier to get good lighting if you have a window with a sheer curtain. Then white light just sorta glows on to surfaces.

If you just have a camera with a timer, then you're kinda set. Really, the timer is probably the most useful thing on a camera for taking pictures of still objects. Just stack some boxs away from the object, place camera, then set timer. Gets very sharp images. That's how I do my drawings sometimes if I need details. But usually I just want a rough guide for when I paint over it in photoshop.

However, if you have color balance issues you can use an adjustment layer to ...well, use color balance to cool down or warm up a photo to what it normally looks like. Then you can use another to enhance it. razz

Zuri-kai
Oh yeah. I started photoshop way back on version 7, but I ended up just sticking with it so long that when I finally got the CS series all of the new tools were so intimidating I didn't want to touch them. razz
I remember Macromedia. I liked flash better back when they had it. Once it became an Adobe product I thought it got harder to use The menus and stuff got harder to find or something. razz

I still use Photoshop 7! x3
I have to agree with the menu reorganization though. The properties menu in the newer flash versions just doesn't belong on the right. It was much better horizontally designed I think. Having it vertical means scrolling constantly and it's just a pain to use. >.<

Zuri-kai
I've had fun making maps lately. Though I want to try making one that looks like an old style ink map on parchment one of these days.
If you need a good font though for a fantasy map I've found a couple that look pretty good. Beyond Wonderland, Black Chancery, and Pierre Light are ones that have always worked well for me. :3

Actually! I do know of several useful websites if you're looking to use fonts commercially. biggrin

http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
All the fonts here are open-source, but all of them are in the "age of print and up" in style...so far. Still, if you ever wanted more options over the traditional ones, these can be useful.

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
All fonts here are commercial useable.

Actually, depending on the period, you may find some other fonts that fit like:
Calligraphy Pen - http://www.dafont.com/calligraphy-pen.font
Carolingia - http://www.dafont.com/carolingia.font

These are great if you want to immitate early post-roman maps...though they didn't really have many maps that actually depicted things realistically. Most maps back then and through the middle ages were T-&-O maps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_and_O_map
It's not that the Europeans thought the world was flat either, those that did were in a minority. There's even evidence of Romans having globes.
http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/galileopalazzostrozzi/object/RomanCelestialGlobe.html
This one's Astronomical, but there's also this one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26816223@N07/6181620295/
I don't know how anything about this. I remember seeing a more worn fresco that looked like this before but I can't find it.

Anyway, those are the older ways of depicting things and even the Eastern maps, while just a tad more accurate at times, never really got that accurate until the age of exploration. It is kinda interesting to see that most maps put the Mediterranean as the center of the world though, which is what most did for a very long time.

Oh, and if you ever want something just plain cool looking!
http://bigthink.com/ideas/24015
A jester with a map for a face!

...I learned about maps a lot when I did a mock exhibition for a class. xd  

Garek Maxwell

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:28 pm
Garek Maxwell

Hmm... Well, I've needed to take photos of things before that weren't flat drawings. I found it a lot easier to get good lighting if you have a window with a sheer curtain. Then white light just sorta glows on to surfaces.

If you just have a camera with a timer, then you're kinda set. Really, the timer is probably the most useful thing on a camera for taking pictures of still objects. Just stack some boxs away from the object, place camera, then set timer. Gets very sharp images. That's how I do my drawings sometimes if I need details. But usually I just want a rough guide for when I paint over it in photoshop.

However, if you have color balance issues you can use an adjustment layer to ...well, use color balance to cool down or warm up a photo to what it normally looks like. Then you can use another to enhance it. razz

Sadly, all we have are those obnoxious slidy blinds with the twisty pole the opens and closes them......that was an awful description. You know what I mean though, right? These.
We only have our slider at the back of the apartment to let natural light in, so lately I've just been going outside to take my photos.

I don't really use adjustment layers when I edit photos. I just go to Image>Adjustments and make them that way. Messing with levels, hue, saturation and what-not. ^^;

Garek Maxwell
I still use Photoshop 7! x3
I have to agree with the menu reorganization though. The properties menu in the newer flash versions just doesn't belong on the right. It was much better horizontally designed I think. Having it vertical means scrolling constantly and it's just a pain to use. >.<

Oh.... sweatdrop
I'm glad you agree on Flash though.. It's such a shame that the new versions added a boning feature (horrible name I know), that makes animating so much easier. Were it not for that I might actually hunt down an old copy of Macromedia Flash and go back to that. They haven't really changed that much in the Adobe versions, I think.

Garek Maxwell
Actually! I do know of several useful websites if you're looking to use fonts commercially. biggrin

http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/
All the fonts here are open-source, but all of them are in the "age of print and up" in style...so far. Still, if you ever wanted more options over the traditional ones, these can be useful.

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/
All fonts here are commercial useable.

Actually, depending on the period, you may find some other fonts that fit like:
Calligraphy Pen - http://www.dafont.com/calligraphy-pen.font
Carolingia - http://www.dafont.com/carolingia.font

These are great if you want to immitate early post-roman maps...though they didn't really have many maps that actually depicted things realistically. Most maps back then and through the middle ages were T-&-O maps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_and_O_map
It's not that the Europeans thought the world was flat either, those that did were in a minority. There's even evidence of Romans having globes.
http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/galileopalazzostrozzi/object/RomanCelestialGlobe.html
This one's Astronomical, but there's also this one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26816223@N07/6181620295/
I don't know how anything about this. I remember seeing a more worn fresco that looked like this before but I can't find it.

Anyway, those are the older ways of depicting things and even the Eastern maps, while just a tad more accurate at times, never really got that accurate until the age of exploration. It is kinda interesting to see that most maps put the Mediterranean as the center of the world though, which is what most did for a very long time.

Oh, and if you ever want something just plain cool looking!
http://bigthink.com/ideas/24015
A jester with a map for a face!

...I learned about maps a lot when I did a mock exhibition for a class. xd

Wow, those sources are really useful. Thank you.
I've only really ever known about DAFont as a source for new fonts, so those other sites are useful as well.
It's so cool how much you know about maps. :3
I know it's one of those things I should probably go out and research but my passion lies more in zoology than anything else, so that's all I really know how to research. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:04 pm
User Image
User Image

I finally got around to finishing and cleaning up my original idea! Just needed to fix the type a little. It's not perfect or anything, but hey, it's all for fun. xd

----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- -----------------

Zuri-kai
Sadly, all we have are those obnoxious slidy blinds with the twisty pole the opens and closes them......that was an awful description. You know what I mean though, right? These.
We only have our slider at the back of the apartment to let natural light in, so lately I've just been going outside to take my photos.

I don't really use adjustment layers when I edit photos. I just go to Image>Adjustments and make them that way. Messing with levels, hue, saturation and what-not. ^^;

Ooooh. Shoot, those aren't very helpful... They're great for an 80s blinds look, but not for products. neutral

Well, there are a few ideas that could work that are cheap or free you may want to try. I haven't yet, but they should give a similar effect.

1. If you ever have a large transparent-ish plastic sheet you'd get from like buying furniture or something lying around, then that will have a similar effect. Just tape it up and have the window open to let in all the light. If it doesn't look like there's plastic on a window, then it's probably okay with a little focus adjustment in the camera.

2. Get white matte board that's very very large. It'll probably be around $3-6...I think. It's been a while. Buuut, with something that big you can open the windows completely and reflect the light with the board to get more softer light. It'll be a pain to set up and adjust, but you can probably get much better photos.

...Alternatively! You may be able to get the same effect with a dull reflective material, like a soft shine aluminum...? Like, non-shiney side? I haven't done it before, but I'm sure you can coat an old broken umbrella's interior for that. I've heard of photographers doing this. 3nodding

Oh! and adjustment layers are really nice because you can easily move the adjustment around to different layers and/or undo/turn on/off the adjustment when desired.
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/images/photo-effects/water-reflection/select-hue-saturation.gif
This shows where they are.

Zuri-kai

Oh.... sweatdrop
I'm glad you agree on Flash though.. It's such a shame that the new versions added a boning feature (horrible name I know), that makes animating so much easier. Were it not for that I might actually hunt down an old copy of Macromedia Flash and go back to that. They haven't really changed that much in the Adobe versions, I think.

I've used CS5 Photoshop too!
As a canine furry though, I have to disagree. Any name with bone in it is awesome. xp

As far as tools go, not a lot has changed. There's more useful features that can make the process go faster for certain things or they're just really convenient. However, if you want to script something then there's a big difference. Making buttons in actionscript 2.0 was easier, but I think doing more complex processes in easier in actionscript 3.0. It's kind of a shame buttons are more work for as3.0, since they could have easily streamlined that process in the button..er..menu-y thing. Like, you can still make buttons items for the library, but the way I learned it you actually want to make a movie clip if you want to make a button now. That's just...pointless. confused

Zuri-kai
Wow, those sources are really useful. Thank you.
I've only really ever known about DAFont as a source for new fonts, so those other sites are useful as well.
It's so cool how much you know about maps. :3
I know it's one of those things I should probably go out and research but my passion lies more in zoology than anything else, so that's all I really know how to research. sweatdrop

Oh, no problem! I've had some of these sites built up from over the years and I just love sharing them whenever I get the opportunity. They're great resources! biggrin
I've used Dafont too, and one other I can't remember. But they're also great. I just prefer font squirrel for commercial work because it takes the work out of determining if it's okay to use it or not. Lots of fonts are just a complete mess of copyright and rights management and...it's just a pain.

I'm just waiting for the several hundred classic typefaces from one type foundry to get released free somewhere. I read an article that exposed they're about to loose their hold on the copyright in Germany, and it includes pretty much all the classic and popular fonts still used today. However, because of...er...controversial stuff let's just say, they're doing everything they can to hush it up and pretend that never happened. stare Blarg.

Anyway!
Yeah, doing a project on maps helped a lot. I just googled a bunch and found some great resources from museums which have a surprising amount of these maps online.
And hey, that's fine too! Zoology is plenty cool all on it's own. You get to find out about all the cool little critters most people will never hear about or know about. It's like in the user profiles section I think. They posted a little rodent thing that was just so adorable! heart  

Garek Maxwell

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:36 pm
Garek Maxwell
Ooooh. Shoot, those aren't very helpful... They're great for an 80s blinds look, but not for products. neutral

Well, there are a few ideas that could work that are cheap or free you may want to try. I haven't yet, but they should give a similar effect.

1. If you ever have a large transparent-ish plastic sheet you'd get from like buying furniture or something lying around, then that will have a similar effect. Just tape it up and have the window open to let in all the light. If it doesn't look like there's plastic on a window, then it's probably okay with a little focus adjustment in the camera.

2. Get white matte board that's very very large. It'll probably be around $3-6...I think. It's been a while. Buuut, with something that big you can open the windows completely and reflect the light with the board to get more softer light. It'll be a pain to set up and adjust, but you can probably get much better photos.

...Alternatively! You may be able to get the same effect with a dull reflective material, like a soft shine aluminum...? Like, non-shiney side? I haven't done it before, but I'm sure you can coat an old broken umbrella's interior for that. I've heard of photographers doing this. 3nodding

Oh! and adjustment layers are really nice because you can easily move the adjustment around to different layers and/or undo/turn on/off the adjustment when desired.
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/images/photo-effects/water-reflection/select-hue-saturation.gif
This shows where they are.

Wow, you know a lot of tricks for photography. Next time I have to photograph some tails I'll give one of those a try. Thanks. :3
I think that's the reason why I did the adjustments from the adjustments menu rather than the layers. Having to keep track of the order to achieve maximum effect was a little annoying for me. sweatdrop

Garek Maxwell
I've used CS5 Photoshop too!
As a canine furry though, I have to disagree. Any name with bone in it is awesome. xp

As far as tools go, not a lot has changed. There's more useful features that can make the process go faster for certain things or they're just really convenient. However, if you want to script something then there's a big difference. Making buttons in actionscript 2.0 was easier, but I think doing more complex processes in easier in actionscript 3.0. It's kind of a shame buttons are more work for as3.0, since they could have easily streamlined that process in the button..er..menu-y thing. Like, you can still make buttons items for the library, but the way I learned it you actually want to make a movie clip if you want to make a button now. That's just...pointless. confused

The new transform tool in CS5 is amazing. It's the whole reason I went out of my way to nab it from a classmate back before I graduated. ^.^
I was thinking a different kind of bone though. Being feline my mind doesn't go right to the munchy bone kind. sweatdrop

Oh, I HATE AS3. It's so stupid that the in the version where they finally introduce boning, to make it easier on animators they decided they want to make a more "serious" scripting language, making that part harder on people without coding training. >.<
I know they let you choose to use AS2 if you want to, but the boning feature doesn't work if you do.
I was making a flash animation for a class several semesters back and I was so excited about being able to use the bone feature rather than animating frame by frame, but then I want to make a play button and omg I about broke my computer I was so frustrated. XP

Garek Maxwell
Oh, no problem! I've had some of these sites built up from over the years and I just love sharing them whenever I get the opportunity. They're great resources! biggrin
I've used Dafont too, and one other I can't remember. But they're also great. I just prefer font squirrel for commercial work because it takes the work out of determining if it's okay to use it or not. Lots of fonts are just a complete mess of copyright and rights management and...it's just a pain.

I'm just waiting for the several hundred classic typefaces from one type foundry to get released free somewhere. I read an article that exposed they're about to loose their hold on the copyright in Germany, and it includes pretty much all the classic and popular fonts still used today. However, because of...er...controversial stuff let's just say, they're doing everything they can to hush it up and pretend that never happened. stare Blarg.

Anyway!
Yeah, doing a project on maps helped a lot. I just googled a bunch and found some great resources from museums which have a surprising amount of these maps online.
And hey, that's fine too! Zoology is plenty cool all on it's own. You get to find out about all the cool little critters most people will never hear about or know about. It's like in the user profiles section I think. They posted a little rodent thing that was just so adorable! heart

I sometimes forget that fonts are technically considered an art form and they have copyrites on them too. I'm glad you directed me to that font squirrel, it'll be really helpful once I pick up some design commissions again. ^^

Controversial stuff? Now I'm curious. >_>

Hehe, yeah. Normally I'm not into research but a recent job demanded that I do such on a wide variety of animals and that got me interested. I have a particular weakness for felines and various monitor lizards. ^.^

That's a cool logo design by the way. I like the streaks coming off the right side, they're like fur and motion lines combined. :3  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:30 pm
Zuri-kai
Wow, you know a lot of tricks for photography. Next time I have to photograph some tails I'll give one of those a try. Thanks. :3
I think that's the reason why I did the adjustments from the adjustments menu rather than the layers. Having to keep track of the order to achieve maximum effect was a little annoying for me. sweatdrop

But it's such a useful thing you can move around... D:

And no problem! I picked up on a few from about...3-4 different professors over my entire schooling. whee Though one was more "this is what we did to photograph this product" and another was more about video... Pretty much any food photography I learned from youtube.

Like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_5VT3vNto0&feature=related
Someday I want to create non-food food photos. sad

Zuri-kai
The new transform tool in CS5 is amazing. It's the whole reason I went out of my way to nab it from a classmate back before I graduated. ^.^
I was thinking a different kind of bone though. Being feline my mind doesn't go right to the munchy bone kind. sweatdrop

Oh yeah. And illustrator has that amazing perspective grid that it automatically sets up for you! And you can adjust it easily! I didn't get around to playing with it much, but it's totally awesome.

And I was thinking of another kind of bone... but that was a dirty joke that fits better with my horn dog personality. razz

Zuri-kai
Oh, I HATE AS3. It's so stupid that the in the version where they finally introduce boning, to make it easier on animators they decided they want to make a more "serious" scripting language, making that part harder on people without coding training. >.<
I know they let you choose to use AS2 if you want to, but the boning feature doesn't work if you do.
I was making a flash animation for a class several semesters back and I was so excited about being able to use the bone feature rather than animating frame by frame, but then I want to make a play button and omg I about broke my computer I was so frustrated. XP

Ohhh, yeah. I know the feeling. I tried giving code advice to a friend before knowing how AS3 works. Just about lost it in frustration on my end because I couldn't help him and he came to me 'cause he knew I was good with that stuff. sad

I later discovered what was wrong through him...but it was annoying. I mean, I -kind of- like the new language...but I also hate how it's like C++, where if something's wrong it won't tell you what usually and it'll just screw up all the time. mad

Zuri-kai
I sometimes forget that fonts are technically considered an art form and they have copyrites on them too. I'm glad you directed me to that font squirrel, it'll be really helpful once I pick up some design commissions again. ^^

If you do free art, then it can probably fall under fair use. I'm just looking out for these commercial-use fonts since I'm considering doing comics and stuff. Trying to anyway. Been working at them, but I'm not satisfied with them yet and I may reboot the one I've actually put on my FA.

Zuri-kai
Controversial stuff? Now I'm curious. >_>

Well, on one hand these copyrighted fonts that are falling out of copyright in Germany may not technically apply in the US... But if they were freely available on a German hosted website, then there's not much they can do to prevent every designer out there from using their stuff any way in a super simple file sharing method that isn't illegal at all in that country.

The other part is that the company wants all the profits they can get obviously. The designers of these fonts are either dead or probably not drawing from the sales since the rights probably now belong to the company. However, in trying to protect their assets they have directly gone against the copyright laws in Germany and held on to those fonts and avoided questions regarding the fonts. It's the equivalent of oil price fixing and pretending it's not happening when there's clear evidence it is.

I personally would like those fonts, so I have an interest in them. However, even if I didn't get them, I have a much stronger desire to see copyright laws fixed so that corporations don't lock up creativity and progress. Currently, this is becoming an increasing problem particularly in the software industry where companies just amass copyrights to protect themselves from lawsuits over identical or obscure copyrights. Last I heard on the radio, there's something like 10-20 copyrights for the technology that allows, say, your browser to automatically check and signal you there's an update and it can download and install it for you. That's not right at all...

I basically don't think copyright laws are helping anymore and they're now used as a means of control and greed over protecting new inventions. Particularly when copyright used to be about 20 years. And probably the only reason why things like Shakespeare and other classics are widely read are because England suspended copyright law once in, I believe, the 1700s. It was later reinstated, but a lot of things became available because of that. I have little doubt the above examples would be as popular today if the rights were somehow held by a company to this day.

Zuri-kai
Hehe, yeah. Normally I'm not into research but a recent job demanded that I do such on a wide variety of animals and that got me interested. I have a particular weakness for felines and various monitor lizards. ^.^

Hehe, well, they are a diverse group! Personally I love all the colorful animals out there. I just saw a PBS special on hummingbirds and I had no idea they could be so colorful. surprised

Zuri-kai
That's a cool logo design by the way. I like the streaks coming off the right side, they're like fur and motion lines combined. :3

Thanks! I was kinda thinking tail but abstracting it a little... But it's probably always going to be seen as a fox tail. I don't mind. whee  

Garek Maxwell

Zuri-kai

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 am
Garek Maxwell
But it's such a useful thing you can move around... D:

And no problem! I picked up on a few from about...3-4 different professors over my entire schooling. whee Though one was more "this is what we did to photograph this product" and another was more about video... Pretty much any food photography I learned from youtube.

Like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_5VT3vNto0&feature=related
Someday I want to create non-food food photos. sad

Oh my gosh I actually saw that video back in my visual communications class at tech center. It's kind of creepy how much they doctor food, and make it so non-edible when they photograph them for adds. O.o
But the fine nuances of photography that make the art of picture taking a real art is really amazing when you see how much there really is to it. I've never gotten along well with cameras of any kind, so my pictures, and most pictures I'm in end up looking like crap. razz
I'm more about just drawing or making something from scratch, my younger sister though got the photography talent. I wish she would pursue it further, she could be a real pro if she just got some proper training. =/

Garek Maxwell
Oh yeah. And illustrator has that amazing perspective grid that it automatically sets up for you! And you can adjust it easily! I didn't get around to playing with it much, but it's totally awesome.

And I was thinking of another kind of bone... but that was a dirty joke that fits better with my horn dog personality. razz

Ooh, I didn't know about that tool. Where's it located at?
I actually got more excited by Illustrator's Live Trace feature, that vectorizes raster images. :3

Heh, yeah I'm a bit of a perv myself, actually. Comes from a super sheltered Christian upbringing I guess. It was bound to happen sooner or later. XD

Ohhh, yeah. I know the feeling. I tried giving code advice to a friend before knowing how AS3 works. Just about lost it in frustration on my end because I couldn't help him and he came to me 'cause he knew I was good with that stuff. sad

I later discovered what was wrong through him...but it was annoying. I mean, I -kind of- like the new language...but I also hate how it's like C++, where if something's wrong it won't tell you what usually and it'll just screw up all the time. mad Oh, I'm horrible with computer coding. I did alright during my first semester of Java class where it was just making the Jeroo hop across the screen without committing suicide, but once we got into actual program and game coding I just about failed the class. =/

I liked AS2 where even stupid people (like myself) could work on the coding "on release=play" is where it's at. 3nodding

Garek Maxwell
If you do free art, then it can probably fall under fair use. I'm just looking out for these commercial-use fonts since I'm considering doing comics and stuff. Trying to anyway. Been working at them, but I'm not satisfied with them yet and I may reboot the one I've actually put on my FA.

My design work isn't free, but sometimes map work and small gaia commissions are.
That's cool that you're making a comic though. I tried once, but while I can draw I have no skill with laying out the panels and text bubbles so that they flow nicely. =/

Garek Maxwell
Well, on one hand....

(cropped to shrink our monster post length sweatdrop
Wow, I didn't realized corporations had gotten that out of control with copyrite. I always knew it was a pain in the a** to deal with (what with trying to keep my work from being stolen and all) but I didn't think people were allowed to just copyrite everything simply for the sake of having it, in case someone else does something suable. O.o

Garek Maxwell
Hehe, well, they are a diverse group! Personally I love all the colorful animals out there. I just saw a PBS special on hummingbirds and I had no idea they could be so colorful. surprised
Bird are really amazing in general, but yeah, hummingbirds are particularly vibrant and amazing. My grandparents are really into bird watching and have their backyard fixed up as a haven for birds. They get humming birds, cardinals, blue jays, owls, hawks and they even had a blue heron there a couple days ago. It's fun to just watch them flit around, feed and bathe. :3

Garek Maxwell
Thanks! I was kinda thinking tail but abstracting it a little... But it's probably always going to be seen as a fox tail. I don't mind. whee

Actually when I saw it I thought speed streak at first, then took a second look at the shape of the streaks and saw the shape resembling fur. So the way it looks to me is a really fast fur-logo. ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 pm
Whoops! 'Nother long post. Sorry. ^^;

Zuri-kai
Oh my gosh I actually saw that video back in my visual communications class at tech center. It's kind of creepy how much they doctor food, and make it so non-edible when they photograph them for adds. O.o
But the fine nuances of photography that make the art of picture taking a real art is really amazing when you see how much there really is to it. I've never gotten along well with cameras of any kind, so my pictures, and most pictures I'm in end up looking like crap. razz
I'm more about just drawing or making something from scratch, my younger sister though got the photography talent. I wish she would pursue it further, she could be a real pro if she just got some proper training. =/

Yeah, it is weird...but I strangely find it really cool and interesting. It's just a shame it's so wasteful. If I didn't feel so bad about destroying the food, I'd probably pursue it as a potential career.

And to be honest a lot of my pictures aren't that interesting either. I'm only interested in a select few niches and the rest is just "bleh". So, of course, I sucked heavily at my photography classes. I'd have one good photo for the entire semester usually, and that's it. They can tell me all they want that you don't need an expensive camera or equipment to take good photos. But if you're mostly into high speed, microscopic, pictorialist, and pretty much just the last "frontiers" of photography, and you suck at all other things mundane, then it's not really all that true then. I'm pretty confident that I would have explored and had a better time if I could have worked on those niches over the usual giving up and trying to make a super bland photo look decent but generally forgettable and uninteresting to the max.

Sorry, kinda ranty there, but I just never really agreed with that statement, particularly when some of the best and most famous photos in the world are taken using funds and resources students would never have access too. It's possible to take great pictures without a good camera, but let's be honest here. Money shows. neutral

Zuri-kai
Ooh, I didn't know about that tool. Where's it located at?
I actually got more excited by Illustrator's Live Trace feature, that vectorizes raster images. :3

Heh, yeah I'm a bit of a perv myself, actually. Comes from a super sheltered Christian upbringing I guess. It was bound to happen sooner or later. XD

http://www.perpetualvisions.com/new-articles/cs5-illustrator/perspective-grid2.jpg
On the upper left of the screenshot shows the tool. It's usually in the tool bar. Though this is CS5 only.

Pervs unite! ...for no reason really, but hey, united pervs!

Zuri-kai
Oh, I'm horrible with computer coding. I did alright during my first semester of Java class where it was just making the Jeroo hop across the screen without committing suicide, but once we got into actual program and game coding I just about failed the class. =/

I liked AS2 where even stupid people (like myself) could work on the coding "on release=play" is where it's at. 3nodding

The funny thing is that I really liked flash for it's visual feedback. In C++, I almost failed and all we did where DOS prompt style programs. :
Though part of that was my fears over undergoing surgery for the first time in my life after the final. I was just a bit distracted I'd have to say... It wasn't major surgery or anything, I just needed my wisdom teeth removed. Still, anything that doesn't give visual feedback and is easy to do art for just kinda sucks all my interest out of it. Flash provided both, which nothing else seems to be capable of doing.

Er, but yeah, I can understand the frustration with the coding aspect. x3

Zuri-kai
My design work isn't free, but sometimes map work and small gaia commissions are.
That's cool that you're making a comic though. I tried once, but while I can draw I have no skill with laying out the panels and text bubbles so that they flow nicely. =/

Oh...well, gaia and map work it is then!
Well, I'm 'trying'. I'm not very good at it. It's...very...iffy. I'm getting better already I can tell. It's just a matter of doing it more than a little and sketching a lot of thumbnails before actually doing the bigger sketches. sweatdrop

Zuri-kai
(cropped to shrink our monster post length sweatdrop
Wow, I didn't realized corporations had gotten that out of control with copyrite. I always knew it was a pain in the a** to deal with (what with trying to keep my work from being stolen and all) but I didn't think people were allowed to just copyrite everything simply for the sake of having it, in case someone else does something suable. O.o

Yeah, sorry about that length thing. It's a tendency of mine to just get things going and eventually they take half an hour or longer to reply to one post. xd

Yeah, copyright has really become a mess and abused quite badly by corporations. It didn't have to be, of course, but it was. There's already a push to have things copyrighted for life, which for corporations this means things may never enter into the public domain. It would lock up information and our culture. There are actual instances where companies hold so many copyrights to so many songs that they will sue first and ask questions later, meaning they honestly don't know what they have rights to but they sue anyway before even searching for the documents. They won't release those songs either, because there isn't any profit in them. That's just the music industry. It's worse for other more expensive industries or industries with even more things to keep track of like literature.

Basically the whole system needs a thorough reworking to make it beneficial and promote innovation while preventing the mess and greed we have now. Particularly when companies have (and continue) copyright life. Farmers have been sued by Monsanto when Monsanto's crops cross pollinated with the farmers, which meant in some bizarre legal way they "stole" the intellectual property of Monsanto's GMO crops...

Gah, sorry, ranted again. I just really really despise what copyright has become compared to the extremely humble origins and intent it had, which did not favor corporations like it does now.

Zuri-kai
Bird are really amazing in general, but yeah, hummingbirds are particularly vibrant and amazing. My grandparents are really into bird watching and have their backyard fixed up as a haven for birds. They get humming birds, cardinals, blue jays, owls, hawks and they even had a blue heron there a couple days ago. It's fun to just watch them flit around, feed and bathe. :3

Owls are awesome! surprised
As one TV show said, they're the nerds of the forest! As a design nerd, this makes them awesome. xd
Also, I once watched a little of that popular owl cam a while back. It was even on the TV news.

Zuri-kai
Actually when I saw it I thought speed streak at first, then took a second look at the shape of the streaks and saw the shape resembling fur. So the way it looks to me is a really fast fur-logo. ^^

Well, then it's double duty on meaning which is even better! ...Shame we're not a company trying to sell high speed internet. razz  

Garek Maxwell

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 pm
Bumping in hope of more entries. Just need at least one more, but more are welcome.

If anyone wants to participate, just say so if you need time or anything.... sweatdrop

I also updated the OP to include links to all the current entries by order and user name. Just thought I'd add it anyway.  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff