Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Just for Clarification Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 am
I'll occasionally use a circle for crafting, but I use them for way different reasons than most people would xd

For general spell work, I don't always incorporate them. They're a tool, just like everything else, and I rarely use tools. Not pertinent for spell work in general.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 am
As people have noted, circles have different purposes.

Some circles create sacred space - in particular, Wiccan circles remove themselves from physical reality and go 'between realms' - a meeting place between the physical and the spiritual planes, where one can more easily meet the Gods. If you intend to perform magic that involves deities participation in a formal way, then you may wish to cast this type of circle. However, it is not a mandatory part of non-Wiccan paths.

Other circles are protective barriers - they either serve to contain an energy into a specific area, or to keep unwanted energies out. If you are looking to concentrate a particular energy into an object, or are concerned about contamination from outside forces, this type of circle may be useful to you.
Ceremonial magic that involves summoning often involves circles or other shapes of this type; the circle being for the protection of the caster, and sometimes a triangle used to contain the spirit in a separate location. Bear in mind that much of Western ceremonial magic is heavily Judeo-Christian, and congress with spirits mean congress with 'devils' - hence the caution.

People who emphasize 'psychic protection' as an absolute must-do thing reveal a level of paranoia and inexperience in an author or teacher. The assertion that a circle has to be cast every single time you perform an act of magic is a part of that. It's important to know how to do these things, of course, but walking around layered in what amounts to spiritual armor is generally going to get you more attention - anything bent on mischief or ill will be interested in peeling all those layers off to see what's so damn valuable inside. Yeah, magic has inherent perils. But we learn from our mistakes,
And as long as you've done even a moderate bit of prep and research, nothing's going to melt your face off. It's the people who jump in with both feet and haven't done their homework who get into trouble.

I tend not to cast circles in my personal practice. I don't feel any reason to 'turtle' myself under layers of magical protections, and I subscribe to the belief that the earth, and my working spaces, are already as sacred as they're going to be. All I feel I need to do is hallow those spaces, and prepare them for my work. That's pretty much just doing a bit of 'tidy' work - light cleansing, mostly, and maybe consecration. And a lot of the time I don't even bother with that. I cast where I live, and feel that it's just organic to the process.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Thank you so much for all of your replies smile They all helped quite a bit and gave me some new things to think about ^^

*shares oreo cupcakes* heart  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:10 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
A lot of books on witchcraft don't really know what they're talking about, unfortunately. They're based vaguely on ceremonial magic where the circle has its own importance - but they don't carry over any of the reasons why. They just absorbed the "circle = important" part and repeat it.

And if they stress repeating particular words or rhymes personally I would make the assumption that they don't know how spells work.

For me, if I'm interested in a book on witchcraft and it stresses magic circles, I won't read that book. While some witches do use them for spells as well as rituals, I do not; my witchcraft doesn't involve circles of that type. It does make it easier to spot if a "traditional witchcraft" book is nothing of the sort, though. wink
Thanks ^.^ I'll keep that in mind when I start lookin up books on witchcraft again. Right now I've got a crap ton of homework I have to catch up on. I actually shouldn't be on Gaia but I'm addicted xd  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games