Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Literate & Agressive Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I Wrong?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Doombringer50

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:31 pm
Javatom
You're correct.

Why can't people just say "Hello"? Unless I am very mistaken, it's pretty easy to say. Two syllables.

I agree with you all the way. biggrin omo:

Fun fact: Originally people used 'ahoy' as a greeting. When the telephone was invented, hello became the custom from the slang Oh hell, and a floidian(?) slip.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:04 am
Doombringer50
Javatom
You're correct.

Why can't people just say "Hello"? Unless I am very mistaken, it's pretty easy to say. Two syllables.

I agree with you all the way. biggrin omo:

Fun fact: Originally people used 'ahoy' as a greeting. When the telephone was invented, hello became the custom from the slang Oh hell, and a floidian(?) slip.

I think Freudian slip is what you're looking for, from the psychologist Sigmun Freud. But that's to do with calling someone mum or dad or something by accident. What does that have to do with greetings?

Ahoy? Wasn't that just sailors? I'm sure good day was used a lot more often. Or good morrow in Shakespeare's time. ^_^

Ithaya

WellThen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:57 pm
Well, I definitely don't agree with any racist comments, whether they are meant as a greeting or not. In the case of "N", I see even less reason to use it, being that it was a derogatory term used in slaving times.

But as for slang causing fights, I don't think that's true. I can fully see, if we talk politely, that people will begin to read more tones and looks than what is actually being said. Also, I'm fully able to insult people while staying completely polite to them, it's not that hard.

As for the Elizabethan greeting, I would've thought it more along the lines of what Puck said to Fairy: "How now Spirit! Whither wander thou?" The first part, showing that you're talking to the person, the second, an inquiry into what they're doing at that time.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:10 pm
I agree with you, but I am about to be a total grammar Nazi. You use too many apostrophies and commas incorrectly. Sorry - just had to say it. This IS a guild dedicated to grammar, after all.  

Aramethea

Hyotana

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:11 pm
ironically, the originator of this post uses incorrect grammar. He misuses the apostrophe rule, and uses comas everywhere they don't belong during a complaint about language.  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:32 am
I don't mind swearing--I do it myself quite a bit--but insults are where I draw the line. For instance, I don't mind someone exclaiming 'Oh, s**t! My locker won't open and I'm going to be late!' but I draw that line at 'Yo, ******' or calling one's friends your 'bitches.'

I agree with Aramathea and Hyotana: You REALLY need a good lesson about apostraphes. Apostraphes couples with S's are only used to show possession, to pluralize dates (e.g., 1940's), or to pluralize numbers or letters (9's, A's). The latter two uses are also going out of fashion. Go check out Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, please. 'Aggressive' is also spelled with two G's.  

Sola Catella

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces