Boost the Signal: Say Yes to Gay YA

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Skadi Sundermount

Snack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:38 pm
This comes from an article by rachelmanija entitled, Say Yes to Gay YA.
(click the link for the full article)

Quote:
Our novel Stranger has five viewpoint characters; one, Yuki Nakamura, is
gay and has a boyfriend. Yuki's romance, like the heterosexual ones in
the novel, involves nothing more explicit than kissing.

An agent from a major agency, one which represents a bestselling YA novel in the same genre as ours, called us.

The agent offered to sign us on the condition that we make the gay
character straight, or else remove his viewpoint and all references to
his sexual orientation.

This isn't about that specific agent; we'd gotten other rewrite requests before this one. Previous agents had also offered to take a second look if we did rewrites… including cutting the viewpoint of Yuki, the gay character.

It's time to stand up and demand change. Spread the word everywhere if you are just as angry and outraged by this.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:06 pm
Okay, well im not exactly outraged but this did catch my attention. I read the "dangerous jam" link, and to be clear I kinda agree with the agent. Not about getting rid of Yuki of course, but to write-out the Yuki's love-preference for now, and save it for down the road, for a twist or something. I might look for the book once published.. kinda interested about how this all turns out.  

endeavour_knox

fireflys_locket

Aged Gaian

7,175 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:26 am
I read this awhile ago wasn't happy about it. On one hand, I do think that the publisher has a right to print what they think will sell, but making it hard for writers to publish books with LGBT characters means that it will be hard to find books with LGBT characters. And that's certainly not good.

Basically, this is the kind of thing that made me decide that I wanted to self-publish my novels when the time comes. No one is going to tell me what I can and can't write. I'd rather only a few people read something that is exactly as I want it than hundreds read something that I wasn't totally behind. No one is going to put red Xs on my manuscript.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:19 pm
That's just like the stereotypical government, why do they always put down the gays? Honestly, gay people are better than most straight people are, my best friends are either bi or gay and they've given me adivce my straight friends could never think of. Why put down gays when they hardly have a voice already? It just burns my buns that this kinda stuff happens, I say screw the government and post it as it is or they can go and get bit.  

kittyrah105

6,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Jacob 100

ditquad

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:02 pm
I'm not too bothered by one's own personal preference negatively affecting their professionalism.

Guild of Roses

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games