Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Ideas for Samhain Celebration

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Valkereon

Romantic Lunatic

13,075 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:05 pm
This is the first year that my roommate and I can openly celebrate Samhain and I was wondering if anybody could give me some ideas of what to do for our celebration.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:13 pm
The "Gatherings" subforum will have some ideas for you closer to the time. See also this thread if you are a Wicca-flavoured ENP.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:45 am
Bear in mind that Samhain is not a celebration. It is a solemn remembrance of the Beloved Dead, our friends and family who have passed before us. We are honouring their memory during a time where a liminal state is more easily achieved - where the boundaries between the land of the dead and the land of the living are thinner.

As San noted, there's a thread here in the guild that might help you.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 pm
Morgandria
Bear in mind that Samhain is not a celebration. It is a solemn remembrance of the Beloved Dead, our friends and family who have passed before us. We are honouring their memory during a time where a liminal state is more easily achieved - where the boundaries between the land of the dead and the land of the living are thinner.

As San noted, there's a thread here in the guild that might help you.

Wasn't it also the Pagan new year for some?  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:14 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
That's what the thread says.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:57 am
Azareas Aquarinus

While some do consider it to be the "new year", I typically don't see it that way. With secular holidays - like "New Year's Eve" and "New Year's Day" - it's more about a specific moment - that transition from 11:59pm of the old year, to 00:00 of the new one. While there are specific events that are honored as well, I think there are also more "seasonal"/cyclical aspects to the Sabbats as well. So while I do see Samhain as an ending of the old year, for me that transitional moment is a bit longer, and I don't really see the "new year" staring until the rebirth at Yule.

That's just my personal view though, don't know if it's something that is shared by any one else.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:25 am
too2sweet
Azareas Aquarinus

While some do consider it to be the "new year", I typically don't see it that way. With secular holidays - like "New Year's Eve" and "New Year's Day" - it's more about a specific moment - that transition from 11:59pm of the old year, to 00:00 of the new one. While there are specific events that are honored as well, I think there are also more "seasonal"/cyclical aspects to the Sabbats as well. So while I do see Samhain as an ending of the old year, for me that transitional moment is a bit longer, and I don't really see the "new year" staring until the rebirth at Yule.

That's just my personal view though, don't know if it's something that is shared by any one else.

I have similar thoughts regarding the new year 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:45 pm
too2sweet
Azareas Aquarinus

Ah, I see. I just see it the start of the wheel turning all over again, and the year starting afresh.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:46 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
too2sweet
Azareas Aquarinus

Ah, I see. I just see it the start of the wheel turning all over again, and the year starting afresh.

I have a hard time seeing the year starting "fresh" when everything around me is either going into hibernation and/or dying off for the winter.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:38 am
too2sweet
Azareas Aquarinus
too2sweet
Azareas Aquarinus

I have a hard time seeing the year starting "fresh" when everything around me is either going into hibernation and/or dying off for the winter.

I kind of understand, since I kept thinking: Yule seems like the new year, because it's the celebration of light returning. The earth can't go without the sun.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games