Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Petition against making "Wicca" a "second class" relgion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:49 am
Something that was brought to my attention just a bit ago - there is a petition going around, likely as a result of the Patrick McCollum case . Anyone interested can read about it here, but basically it's about protecting "Wicca" and other minority religions from being given less legal status than the "major" religions in the US.

To be sure I'm not entirely sure, if there is any sort of legal precedent, would be nice if there were more details, or at least some links to resources relating to the issue. Just wondering what everyone thought about it?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:42 pm
The little bit about it I know of- it's not that pagan chaplains are barred, just that demand for them doesn't make it so they get the paid positions.

I'm uncomfortable both ways- on one side, it's supply and demand: if there were enough pagans they'd hire someone who was pagan. On the other side- since there aren't enough pagans, they rely on volunteers, but that's only because those religions they do have in the system are popular and I don't think that popularity should put someone else at a disadvantage. sweatdrop  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:03 am
This lawsuit was filed by a Wiccan Chaplain who volunteers in prisons and wants to get paid for it...the court decided he was pursuing this case for his own means (to get paid and not to benefit the people in prison).

I don't know what a good cut off would be. If it were my choice I would probably say that NO religious personnel should get paid to preach to the inmates, but if they wish to volunteer to go in they could. The problem lies in numbers: how much is enough to justify paying someone to come in and perform a service. And if one group is only a couple short, how do you stop them from 'converting' a few fellow prisoners so they meet the quota.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 am
I'm with Esiris on this one. It's conflict between supply and demand and popularity.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:24 pm
rmcdra
It's conflict between supply and demand and popularity.
That's why we didn't have a pagan service when I was at Great Lakes, and that has more religious services than any other naval base in the US. There just weren't enough people who'd attend, and nobody was volunteering to carry out the services (most of the smaller religious services at Great Lakes were carried out by civilian, often former military, volunteers, not by military chaplains). There was no ban on the services, and I heard that they used to be carried out on base.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:47 pm
Religion should never be a way of making money, except to break even with expenditures required to practice.  

Ren Tohimaru

AspenGrey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:58 pm
The Emo Bard
rmcdra
It's conflict between supply and demand and popularity.
That's why we didn't have a pagan service when I was at Great Lakes, and that has more religious services than any other naval base in the US. There just weren't enough people who'd attend, and nobody was volunteering to carry out the services (most of the smaller religious services at Great Lakes were carried out by civilian, often former military, volunteers, not by military chaplains). There was no ban on the services, and I heard that they used to be carried out on base.

Couldn't help but notice the RTC reference. =)
I found that the Unitarian Universalist services at RTC met my needs pretty well, but I do agree that it would be nice if the military recognized Wicca and other neo-pagan religions more. I know I'm hesitant to identify myself as such in my command because it's clear it wouldn't go over well.

I can only speak for my experiences, but a vast majority of people treat anything besides the religions of the book (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) as second-class religions.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:08 pm
AspenGrey
I can only speak for my experiences, but a vast majority of people treat anything besides the religions of the book (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) as second-class religions.
Its because people are afraid to come out bcause of the people of said major religions that tend to attack people of different faiths.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:26 pm
Vagabond8
Religion should never be a way of making money, except to break even with expenditures required to practice.

What about the people who devote their whole life to religious service? What do they eat? How do they pay their rent or bills?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:43 am
Native american religions are in fact nature based, I am native myself however I say go for it, build from that fact. The question here is, would bringing up the integrity of the other "religions" stated help any?  

Votaro

Friendly Dabbler

4,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Popular Thread 100

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:24 pm
The fact that something like this is even being discussed in America, "Home of the free", scares me slightly. Like, what if there was some petition or something and our rights were taken away. Like prop 8 was for gay people. My whole family would have no rights eek  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:52 pm
Staring Berry
The fact that something like this is even being discussed in America, "Home of the free", scares me slightly. Like, what if there was some petition or something and our rights were taken away. Like prop 8 was for gay people. My whole family would have no rights eek

Bro, NDAA.

The whole "home of the free" thing has been a subject of jest in the rest of the world for a while wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:21 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Staring Berry

Bro, NDAA.

The whole "home of the free" thing has been a subject of jest in the rest of the world for a while wink

Hence the air quotes, i was being sarcastic  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games