Submit

Fears and Lies

7,200 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:08 pm
question number one:
Are they very hard to make? Ive looked at several (2 lol) tutorials and well didnt really pay much attention i was just surfing. but i actually would like to have one.
2: How expensive are the materials?
3: what materials do you reccomend (tutorials i looked at just said do this to your material but didnt say any specific name for the material or where to get it)
4: am i gonna have to sew? i dunno how to sew ..... sad
5: how does buying one already made go about? Like i would prefer if i were to buy one and not make one i would pick it up instead of it being delivered here as i live with my mother. yet i dun have a car... and am terrorfied im gonna show up and be tied up and thrown in there basement (ive met people who i wouldnt put it passed them to do that, some people are creepy)
6: are there any good tutorials with maybe step by step instructions .. specifically to a feline , or husky but preferably feline fursuit?
7: hi?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:55 pm
1. The level of difficultly depends on what you're making. What method you're using, what materials you're using, species of the character, how complex the character is, and how much of a suit (partial, full, half) you're making all have a hand in how difficult it will be. But there is a certain skill level required, and I would consider it a difficult thing, yes.

2. Again, that depends on the method and materials you choose. Most fursuits need fur though, and that alone gets pricey unless you're lucky enough to find good deals or buy other people's scraps.

3. A must material is good quality faux fur. Upholstery foam is good for heads, though there are other ways to do it. There's a bunch of other materials that depend on what you're making. Buckram for eyes or see-through tear ducts, Sculpy for teeth, fun foam for things like thin ears, tounges, etc, elastic for moving jaws...the list goes on. Some people even use taxidermy items for a more realistic effect.

4. It is possible to glue seams on a head (though it doesn't looks as nice), but for every other part of the suit...Yes, you will need to be able to sew. Glue seams do not hold.

5. To buy a pre-made suit you can go to furry auction sites such as The Dealer's Den and FurBuy where you can bid on them, and have them sent to you. There is also a livejournal group about selling fursuits and fursuit related things. You could also commission someone to make you a custom suit. However, they're expensive no matter how you get one.

6. There is a very useful livejournal community that has links to tutorials and resources, as well as a community of experienced fursuit makers to give advice.

7. Hello!  

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Garek Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 pm
While I've never had any experience with fursuits, I know that for sculpting something like a head will require some skill in ...well..sculpting. It's not the same as carving wood or stone or working with clay usually, but I can tell having those skill can help a lot in constructing heads.

I'm honestly curious about the process myself and wonder how effective certain materials would be. I've considered the possibility of plastic plates and a metal skeleton underneath a fur covering, but I don't know how well that'd actually work. I just figured it could then enable the jaw to be "wired" to your jaw and enable a talking motion...

I dunno! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Garek Maxwell
While I've never had any experience with fursuits, I know that for sculpting something like a head will require some skill in ...well..sculpting. It's not the same as carving wood or stone or working with clay usually, but I can tell having those skill can help a lot in constructing heads.

I'm honestly curious about the process myself and wonder how effective certain materials would be. I've considered the possibility of plastic plates and a metal skeleton underneath a fur covering, but I don't know how well that'd actually work. I just figured it could then enable the jaw to be "wired" to your jaw and enable a talking motion...

I dunno! sweatdrop

Plastic and metal would be horribly heavy. Mesh and foam work just fine. 3nodding There's also using molds and making cast resin bases. Two most common methods.
Moving jaws usually entail the use of elastic or hinges.  

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Fears and Lies

7,200 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:48 am
shoki_de_nai
Garek Maxwell

I dunno! sweatdrop

Plastic and metal would be horribly heavy. Mesh and foam work just fine. 3nodding There's also using molds and making cast resin bases. Two most common methods.
Moving jaws usually entail the use of elastic or hinges.

a site i saw said to use a ninja mask and to glue the jaw to the jaw of the mask that way the matrieal of the mask moves down when you open you mouth making the jaw move down  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:30 pm
Fears and Lies

a site i saw said to use a ninja mask and to glue the jaw to the jaw of the mask that way the matrieal of the mask moves down when you open you mouth making the jaw move down

Balaclava masks are another method, yes.  

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Bush Punk

Dangerous Werewolf

6,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:51 am
1. hard enough. if you want it to look decent, you will probably have to build 2 or 3 practice heads first.
2: for a decent looking one, expensive enough. big blocks of foam are pretty pricey, and good fur can get up there too.
3: balaclava, the thickest foam you can get ahold of, hot glue gun, upholstery thread, curved quilting needles, a good sewing machine with the most heavy duty needles you can get
4: yes. if you dont, it will be obvious and you may end up on bad_fur or some other snark site. learn this skill, it will be needed.
5: go find a maker and ask them. popular suit makers such as LV and beetlecat are going to run very pricey. I do make suits for cheeper, but they arent as pretty as the big name brand ones.
6: on livejournal, there is a community called fursuit. go through ALL of their memories. you will thank me for this http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=fursuit
7: oh hai mark  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:39 pm
1.) Lots of trial and error

2. To get you a rough idea of what materials cost; a yard of upholstry foam is 16 usd. (You'll need atleast one and a half yards for one head.) A balclava is 5 dollars at the lowest I've seen. GOOD, FURSUIT QUALITY fur is 18-37 dollars per yard, good thread is like 4 dollars per spool. etc. etc. It's very expensive.

3.) Upholstry foam and a balaclava for the head base, good faux fur (from Imstuffedfurs, Mendels, crs and rafts, Fabric.com and more.), decent shoes and upholstry foam for the feet, a strong brand of thread...etc.

4.) LOL.

5.) You find a maker online (or if you happen to know one you like irl, just contact them there.) email them for a quote assuming they're taking quotes at the time, and work out concept art, payment, etc. They'll ship the suit to you. No driving or being kidnapped needed. : )

6.) Matrices.

7. Sup.  

Jorderora

LimeInDeCoconut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:20 pm
I have questions to. I have never made a suit and I want to make one that isn't furry. A shark partial, but I don't know what materials to use for the skin. I've been looking and looking for tutorials or some suggestions but no luck. Might end up using fleece.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:01 pm
1. No. Very easy for me. Just get foam, hot glue gun, fur, airbrush or colored fur, the paper foam and you basically you just build an X. make hte middle at the top of your head and fill in the holes. you scult foam on how you want it to look, attaching with glue gun. than make a jaw and use elastic to make it move. etc...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
is pics of how I made my first one. came out shitty..but still XD much better than buying one More recent ones i have made look better. (plus i just got an airbush kit yay). >.< first attempts always suck so dont let that get you down. and dont use plastic canvis for the eyes like i did. looks like crap to me even though you can see almost perfectly and with a good view range

2: depends on what materials you use
3: basic fur, foam ...some people use duct tape or plastic canvis but i tried it and hated it.
4: not for the head no
5: you can commission someone to make it for you. they will build it as a mask or head helmet like i do (Which is much nicer) and they will ship it to your house. you ususally can pay in installments etc. You can always commission me to make one for you XD
6: ...honestly the ones i have seen are more confusing or ...just not an easy way for new people to make them
7: hello =3

lX-The-Noxious-Syringe-Xl

ryukane satori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm
It is hard & expensive. I have not made a fursuit but have been researching about it for about a year or so(I take forever to decide things & thought I would educate myself). Yes it would be advantageous to know how to sew, you kinda have to sew alot.
Use Hikitsune's link to LiveJournal, nice collective of knowledge.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:51 am
from wat i herd..they r very hard to make..the materials and all r hard to find and takes awhile to make.  

Henrey Von Wolf

Rebel Nerd Alliance

Dangerous Hunter

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:38 pm
I have a fursuit of my own, and am currently working on making a second at this moment in time, so I have some experience.

Typical materials for making a fursuit: Faux Fur, Foam, Hot Glue (w/gun), a good sewing kit (or sewing machine), fabric scissors, clay (for claws/nose/teeth), felt (good for muzzle lining). There is a lot to making a fursuit, and yes it really is expensive to make them.
Depending on how detailed you want your fursuit to be, that can increase complexity and make it much harder...until you are well practiced, a simple design of costume would be more appropriate.

Buying one, can be even more expensive. Commissioned fursuits can be from anywhere like a few hundred up to a few thousand just to get them made, that isn't including postage fees. For a full suit, you would have to send the person who is making your fursuit a full duct-tape dummy of yourself, some good measurements of your head, and usually fine details can increase cost.

Some good tutorials are from places like Matrices.net (MatricesOddity on youtube) and CanineHybrid on youtube.
Good fursuiters to watch on youtube are: Ino8977, Monoyasha, Beastcub & Mangusu. These are all amazing and very inspirational fursuiters.

Hope I helped a bit. smile  
Adult Furries Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff