Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Home Made Yule Gifts (ideas and thoughts)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:22 pm
Yule Gifts
Well I was thinking of making several if not all of my gifts for Yule and I was looking for ideas of things I could make.
I'm not really good a crafts (but I do enjoy doing them) so I wasn't sure exactly what kinds of gifts to make.

But I did some research and came up with some ideas I thought I would share with others if they might be having the same problem.

Wood Burning, Boxes or Runes.
You can do wood burning and find a nice wood box and on the top of it wood burn a tarot card image or pagan related design.
You can do wood burning and make runes as well just find or cut the right size wood pieces you want.

Incense
Something I'm going to do for sure is make some Yule incense.

Magical Oils
You can blend and combined oils as long as you do your research and know what you are doing you can make an oil for a certain purpose that the person could rather use.
example: money, blessing, healing, etc.

Herb Pots
Something that I thought sounded cool was planting a pot with several useful herbs in it so the person can have fresh herbs at hand but if you live somewhere where it gets cold fast you can move it indoors when it does or start growing it indoors from the start (or if you have a green house).

Candles
Candles, you can go to a local hobbies and craft store and get just about everything you need to make candles (but it can be expensive and it does take some skill).
Like: dye, paraffin wax, oil (for scent), wicks, etc.

Portable Alter or Magic Gift Baskets
Find a pretty box and fill it with herbs, oils, stones, flowers, etc.
And you can do the same with a Magic Gift Basket.
(If I did this I would have to make a card and add it to)

Brooms
I don't know how to do this myself I guess I would get a staff maybe find one in the woods and then add the bristles needed as well.

Alter Clothes, Sewn Banners or Dream Pillows
If you are good at sewing or have a machine making an alter cloth I think would make a grand gift and I was thinking if you know the person normally put the four elements on their alter you could sew four different colored squares together to represent the different elements and maybe even do embroider of the word Earth or Fire etc. into each side. Or make them one associated with their astrological sign or favorite Sabbat.
Or do the same thing but make a banner that can be hung on the wall as art on the persons bedroom door or front door for Yule.
Dream Pillows can be great gifts to fill a pouch of a pretty fabric you have picked up with dried herbs (that won't break through) so the person can have it in bed or place it under their bed and smell it something like lavender or chamomile that can be relaxing.

Yule Decorations or Ornaments
You can be real creative with these and do them just about however you want I have seen fairy painted glass balls, pipe-cleaner pentacles, pine corn and acorn ornaments.
Some that look very pretty and unique.

Baked Goods
Cakes, Pie, Brownies or Cookies if you have a cookie monster in your family.
You can make their favorite or a Yule like desert with spices, pumpkin, apples, etc.

If anyone has any other ideas or thoughts about making Yule gifts I would love for you to share it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 am
I normally make cookies. Or gifts-in-a-jar that are basically those hand-made "just add water" kind of treats. Most of my family does not practice an alternative religion, as they call it.  

mechanical kitsy
Crew

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:43 am
mechanical kitsy
I normally make cookies. Or gifts-in-a-jar that are basically those hand-made "just add water" kind of treats. Most of my family does not practice an alternative religion, as they call it.

gifts-in-jar? like those little things that grow when you add water?
None of my family is pagan either its more like my close friends that are pagan like me.
So for my family I get them what they ask for or I know they want by ordering it online.
But for my friends I like to make them their Yule gifts since I know they would enjoy and appreciate them more that way and I can learn some new crafting skills along the way.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:51 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks
mechanical kitsy

None of my family is pagan either its more like my close friends that are pagan like me.
So for my family I get them what they ask for or I know they want by ordering it online.
But for my friends I like to make them their Yule gifts since I know they would enjoy and appreciate them more that way and I can learn some new crafting skills along the way.

Gifts in a jar are usually things like cookie recipes with the dry ingredients already measured and in a jar.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:37 pm
Esiris
Musical_Vampire_Socks
mechanical kitsy

Gifts in a jar are usually things like cookie recipes with the dry ingredients already measured and in a jar.

oooohhh okay i get it now  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:00 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks

Incense
Here is a recipe I found, its meant to be burned on charcoals.
-------------------------------
Yule Incense:
2pt Frankincense Resin
2pt Pine Needles or Resin
1pt Cedar
1pt Juniper Berries
------------------------------

That you found, like you just were knocking around and stumbled on it like some sort of orphan recipe?

You mean, that you found this recipe HERE, in THIS guild, on my article on Sabbat activities. That this is actually my recipe, that you did not see fit to mention anywhere.

You don't have much respect for other people's work. That much seems clear. I hereby revoke my permission for you to use my works in any shape or form.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 pm
Morgandria
Musical_Vampire_Socks

Incense
Yule Incense:
2pt Frankincense Resin
1pt Cedar
1pt Juniper Berries

That you found, like you just were knocking around and stumbled on it like some sort of orphan recipe?

You mean, that you found this recipe HERE, in THIS guild, on my article on Sabbat activities. That this is actually my recipe, that you did not see fit to mention anywhere.

You don't have much respect for other people's work. That much seems clear. I hereby revoke my permission for you to use my works in any shape or form.

I'm sorry about this I wrote this recipe down sometime ago and found it in my notebook I'm sorry that it is yours I will remove it.... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:05 pm
Musical_Vampire_Socks

I'm sorry about this I wrote this recipe down sometime ago and found it in my notebook I'm sorry that it is yours I will remove it.... sweatdrop

It's a good idea to write down your sources, even in your own personal journals.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 pm
Esiris
Musical_Vampire_Socks

It's a good idea to write down your sources, even in your own personal journals.

yeah, I really should
I normally do but sometimes I forget, I will try to not do it again
i'm going to learn from this crying  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Morgandria
Musical_Vampire_Socks

Incense
Yule Incense:
2pt Frankincense Resin
1pt Cedar
1pt Juniper Berries

I really am sorry Morgandria I feel so bad I won't let it happen again,
and I removed a link to your sabbat info. from my website.
(i am going to add the author to my journal entry's that are from research and not done by me from now on) sweatdrop  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50

mechanical kitsy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:56 am
Come on now, no harm no foul.

It would be quite easy for you to create your own incense recipe, maybe something you enjoy the scent of, or a combination of different ingredients.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:53 am
I love homemade gifts smile I get together with a couple of the local pagans every week, and last week we made ornaments, which was a blast.

I am planning on making them all jewelry for Yule. There are some good thrift stores near here, and I look for old and cheap beaded jewelry (because brand new beads that aren't plastic are crazy expensive and hard to come by around where we live). I also have a few odds and ends of my own to add (two of my friends are pretty into the steampunk thing so I took apart a few old watches for parts.)

Last year I made Chai tea mix to give my in-laws, since they like to drink that. I think we are going to be making a bunch of cookies and stuff so I'll probably bring some home-baked goods as part of a present this year as well.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 am
mechanical kitsy
Come on now, no harm no foul.

I think Morg's point was that there was harm. sweatdrop  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games