Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Spells, chants, prayers, devotions, etc

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Talesofbiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:34 pm
How do you go about saying something in ritual, spell, chant, prayer, etc? I don't mean how you write/think of one, or what you say. I mean how do you prepare? Do you write it down and then read it off the paper? Do you memorize it? Do you brainstorm beforehand and then just freely speak? Do you just say what pops into your head first? Or do you do none or all of the above?

It probably depends on what you're doing, like prayer I'm sure is mostly free form, whereas a spell or specific ritual is more prepared. I haven't done much so I don't really know how I'd do it and I just wanted some ideas of how others handle this situation. I'd rather memorize, but I'd probably worry and focus to much on remembering what to say than the purpose of whatever I'm doing. And if it's too free form my thoughts tend to wonder, and it's rather messy.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:02 pm
I definitely think it's better if you are prepared beforehand, and while memorizing is good, I think it's ok too if you have to read it from a paper as well (or have the paper to refer to at least). Though to be sure there have been times that I just "wing it" as well. I really think a lot depends on the type of ritual and how complex it is though.

In any case, it is a good idea to, at the very least, be well versed in what the steps are, and what you are supposed to be doing, so you don't completely interrupt the flow of energy. Plus you should make sure that you have all necessary tools/components (if needed) before you start.  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Talesofbiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:12 pm
Yeah, I figured generally I'd just brainstorm what to say beforehand and then just speak free form, not exactly saying what I wrote down but generally the same idea.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:13 pm
I often do part of a spell, prayer, etc. where I have wrote something and read it from a paper or have memorized it but then I leave a part either at the end or in the middle to just speak from the heart.  

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:34 pm
I never write down what to say in a ritual beforehand. I worry too much about remembering it and forget about the ritual itself. I just have a basic plan and speak as I go.

I do write the occasional prayer because I like the poetry of a pre-written prayer, but sometimes I'll come up with a lovely one off the top of my head just as I'm praying. I like to write those down for possible future use, and just because I like them. It depends how long they are as to whether I memorise or read them.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 pm
Prayers I do off the top of my head. Spells and rituals I would probably want to brainstorm first and possibly have a paper for rituals.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Dr. H. Lecter

Dangerous Prophet

7,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 pm
Any ritual, chant or spell I perform is always written down first. I always make sure I have everything with me, and I won't be interupted, of course. When I do them, I usually work on them for a good while, and then write them down in my Book of Shadows, which is what I read from during the ritual.

I also am compliling a book of personal kitchen magic, which I can use and perform for my family and friends, but will not require any fancy chanting, since I need to keep my craft under wraps.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 am
Some things that I do on a fairly regular basis I have a couple of things that I have written down and memorized. I like to circle cast, so I have a couple circle castings now that I have written. I also have a few little charms that I like for daily blessing.

On the whole, I tend to wing it for one-off kind of things. I try to tailor my words to the specific instance, so even something like healing I will say different things depending on who is being healed for what and when. Sometimes I do write what I am going to say down ahead of time and then read the paper, and sometimes I just say what comes to mind.

I don't think I've ever written a proper prayer down. I have small things for blessing meals and end of day, but I consider those more of blessings than prayer.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Bad Quality Serena

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 pm
I don't really have a specific order when it comes to that kind of stuff. Lately, I just carve a shortened version of the purpose of the spell into the side of a candle, and then I attach a few things to the candle that are specific to that spell-be it a photo,name, anything.
Then I go outside and light the candle for a few minutes, whispering what I want over and over until I blow out the candle. Then I let the smoke rise up into the sky, and that's it. Occasionally I will repeat this with the same candle. It all depends on how strong I want the spell to be.

And then if I change my mind or I feel the candle has served it's purpose, I just break it up and throw it away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:26 pm
I did start a book of shadows to record everything but if I find that I have forgotten to add something and I think of it on the spot at the altar.

At my Yule ritual I realized to myself OMG! I didn't think of a prayer in honor of the God's rebirth! (im new so dont judge me to harshly) so I made one on the spot and recorded it for later use and editing  

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:56 am
I rarely write down spells (or anything within the spell family). When I cast, it's generally impromptu. Witchcraft is part of every day life for me, so I've moved on from creating rituals and making a huge ordeal from it. There isn't enough time in the day.

Most of what I do is energy-based, anyway, so it only requires a quick charge-up, depending on what I'm doing.

I've been thinking recently that maybe I ought to start developing some sort of rhyme or reason to my work and record it so that I can pass it on. It would definitely be a lot like Wicca though, in that only so much is written word and the rest you'd have to learn directly from a person.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games