Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:12 pm
I just would like something clarified, please forgive me if I seem like an idiot. I'm trying to learn Japanese by myself as I'm trying to complete my major(nursing). After I plan on taking a few classes.

(I know I already asked about my formal name)

My name is Catherine and translated it's キャサリン。
BUT... my personal, nonformal nickname is Cat.
So... would Cat be translated as ネコ?or could a nickname for キャサリン be
キャ?
In Japan rather then having nicknames they just add chan/san to the end of a name right?

Also, when addressing someone formally their last name is always first right? Ex: Smith, John? After they've told you otherwise/ their friend it can be John Smith or John-san(assuming their the same age).

Thanks in advance, you're great!!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:04 pm
not an expert of that part of san
But it way of respect someone who is your friend?
My full name is Ashley Emiko Chun if is translated then it is this- アシュリー恵美子チュン
I have a little trouble understand the form sentence like this
私は忙しい。私は今年取っていているキャリアクラスがあります。
I am busy . I have career class that I am taking for this year.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

Dorinkingu

4,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:13 pm
Cat directly would be like キャッ, which is adorable xp  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:41 pm
Hey how about Gail? ( new at this so please use both the symbols and phonics. so I can speak it) I'm also confused about how should go about my last name, if is Lilja which is Swedish for lily. (great grandparents came from Sweden.)  

Yoseisame

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:03 pm
well I used google translate find out the correct way to say the name. try using Kanjizone.com  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 am
japanese does do nicknames. If you've ever watched a drama or anime you might notice. Many names get shortened for nicknames. Like yuusuke -> Yuu, Aiko -> ai, Akie -> aki, masanobu -> masa, and sometimes they are given nicknames based on alternate readings of the characters (kanji) for their names. The only examples i have of that is Moritaka writen as 最高 is usually read as Saikou (which mean best, highest) and Akito 秋人 which can also be read as shuujin. (those examples are from the manga Bakuman).

I think that キャッ would be a really cute nickname.

Also, sometimes japanese people will give long weird nicknames. my friend Yuta called me サママイライラ the other day. My name is Samira (サマイラ). and he calls my friend marquis(マーキス) , マークスクス  

Miyu_Aizawa

Hiroki Seven

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:16 pm
I took some japanese classes a few years ago. it wasnt much but its enough to help out a few people.

first off, yes japanese people do nicknames, its just not as common as in america. example in the anime Katekyo Hitman Reborn, the main characters name is Tsunayoshi, but everybody calls him Tsuna, his mother calls him Tsu-kun

now the suffixes. -san, -kun, and -chan are suffixes used after names of people. they usually represent as if you were saying miss or mister out of respect, which is customary in japan. the chan however i understand is more out of closer relationships but i havent confirmed this

i believe Gail as a nickname would be pronounced Geiru, or something similar, sorry i dont have kanji for that ill try to see if i can find them  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:46 pm
Hiroki Seven
i believe Gail as a nickname would be pronounced Geiru, or something similar, sorry i dont have kanji for that ill try to see if i can find them

I would come-up with the same thing.  

Sailor Blue Rose

Romantic Lunatic

Hiroki Seven

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 am
i double checked Gail on google translator

in Roomaji it would be written as Geiru, these are the katakana that would be used
ゲイル

the translator also has a button that lets you hear how it is pronounced  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:43 am
i found these links that might help out. its basically the hiragana syllable 'alphabet'.

Aside from the Hiragana, which are the most basic style of writing they also have Katakana, which is a bit more advanced, and the Kanji, which are the really big symbols. A piece of writing in Japan uses all three at once, at least the ones i have seen around the internet.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Table_hiragana.svg/768px-Table_hiragana.svg.png

http://images.wikia.com/japanese/images/4/48/Hiragana-dakuten-chart.gif

Also, check this out. My real name is Chris, in japanese its written as Kurisu (3 syllables), but the pronounciation it almost exactly the same as in english.

I hope this all helps biggrin  

Hiroki Seven

xleila_24689x

Pumpkin

9,250 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:44 am
Btw, Cat in Japanese would become キャット. And people give nicknames to each other in Japan all the time!!! For Example, if someone's name was Megumi or something, people could call her Megu, or Meguchan, or Meguchi, or something random like that biggrin People like to give extremely random nicknames too! Like I have a friend with the name of a fish, so we call her Saba Kabocha Manjuu. (Mackerol Pumpkin, idk what manjuu is in english!)  
Japanese language

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games