Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
A couple questions on some books

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:52 am
I've been looking around at books and found a few that I would like to sink my teeth into.

So far it's a tie between Amber K's True Magick, Denise Alvarado's The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook - heard it mentioned in a podcast, seems pretty interesting, and Starhawk's The Spiral Dance.

I've looked at the user reviews on Amazon.com, and they look good so far.

Has anyone read these books or has any suggestions on which ones to get? Any insight on the authors would be welcome too smile

yum_strawberry  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:51 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx
I've been looking around at books and found a few that I would like to sink my teeth into.

So far it's a tie between Amber K's True Magick, Denise Alvarado's The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook - heard it mentioned in a podcast, seems pretty interesting, and Starhawk's The Spiral Dance.

Has anyone read these books or has any suggestions on which ones to get? Any insight on the authors would be welcome too smile

yum_strawberry

Hoodoo and Voodoo aren't the same thing, even though they have a common source- so it makes me suspicious. Why are you interested in Hoodoo or Vodun?

Spiral Dance has some majorly flawed history, and she doesn't believe in gods, so it has flaws too.

True Magick is pretty basic stuff- it's been a long time since I thought about it.

I think it would be helpful if you could tell us what you believe in and what you feel you want out of your spiritual path- that can help others share ideas.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:12 pm
Esiris
xMoonlitShadowsx

yum_strawberry

Hoodoo and Voodoo aren't the same thing, even though they have a common source- so it makes me suspicious. Why are you interested in Hoodoo or Vodun?

Spiral Dance has some majorly flawed history, and she doesn't believe in gods, so it has flaws too.

True Magick is pretty basic stuff- it's been a long time since I thought about it.

I think it would be helpful if you could tell us what you believe in and what you feel you want out of your spiritual path- that can help others share ideas.

I'm interested in the history and different practices in it. From what I've heard from the podcast, this book seems to have quite a bit of both. I don't think it's something that would become a major part of my practice, but I'm definitely interested in learning more about it.

I believe in a mix of things really. Started out a with Wicca, or what I thought was Wicca at the time, and since then I've moved on towards neo-paganism. I believe that there is some higher power up there, and that everything is connected. I do believe in Gods and Goddesses, but I don't stay in one particular pantheon. I love energy work and working with candles and crystals the most.

I'm looking to collect the bits I like and mix them into my own practice.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:25 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx

yum_strawberry

I didn't like Amber K. Someone sent me an ebook of hers once. I felt like she was a massive armchair magician: she was so wrapped up in her particular worldview of magic, it felt like she'd never actually done any magic. Because if she had done she would have realised that some of her preconceived notions couldn't possibly be so.

I mean she's just weird. Her "magick" is like some sort of new thing on its own, or something. Check this out:
"Real witchcraft is a nature religion (pagan). Witchcraft has much in common with magick."

lolwut?

For her the whole damn thing is very structured and that's the only way it can be. So I don't really respect her. But ymmv.

The Spiral Dance is officially the worst book I have ever read on Paganism or witchcraft, and I've read "Beginner's Guide to Witchcraft" by Theresa Moorey so that's really saying something. Aside from the crappy information, she spends all her time just waffling and throwing around bigotry and sexism. Don't waste your money.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:33 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
xMoonlitShadowsx

yum_strawberry

I didn't like Amber K. Someone sent me an ebook of hers once. I felt like she was a massive armchair magician: she was so wrapped up in her particular worldview of magic, it felt like she'd never actually done any magic. Because if she had done she would have realised that some of her preconceived notions couldn't possibly be so.

I mean she's just weird. Her "magick" is like some sort of new thing on its own, or something. Check this out:
"Real witchcraft is a nature religion (pagan). Witchcraft has much in common with magick."

lolwut?

For her the whole damn thing is very structured and that's the only way it can be. So I don't really respect her. But ymmv.

The Spiral Dance is officially the worst book I have ever read on Paganism or witchcraft, and I've read "Beginner's Guide to Witchcraft" by Theresa Moorey so that's really saying something. Aside from the crappy information, she spends all her time just waffling and throwing around bigotry and sexism. Don't waste your money.

o.o

I don't think I would like something that rigid lol I'm kinda surprised The Spiral Dance isn't as good as what other people have been saying. I'm glad you told me though smile

Thank you for your advice smile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:40 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx
o.o

I don't think I would like something that rigid lol I'm kinda surprised The Spiral Dance isn't as good as what other people have been saying. I'm glad you told me though smile

Thank you for your advice smile

Well that was a different Amber K book. The one you're interested in might be different. Have a flick through on the preview and see if it appeals. I don't like her, but that doesn't mean you're going to have the same opinion.

And you're welcome ^_^ I was really surprised when I read the Spiral Dance because people had been recommending it to me for so long. Why do people attack Ravenwolf but not Starhawk, when Starhawk makes the same mistakes? I don't understand it. But there we are.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 pm
xMoonlitShadowsx

I'm interested in the history and different practices in it. From what I've heard from the podcast, this book seems to have quite a bit of both. I don't think it's something that would become a major part of my practice, but I'm definitely interested in learning more about it.
I think the best way to know about Vodou and Hoodoo is to talk to people who are initiated into it and practice seriously, instead of trying to read about it.

Quote:
I believe in a mix of things really. Started out a with Wicca, or what I thought was Wicca at the time, and since then I've moved on towards neo-paganism. I believe that there is some higher power up there, and that everything is connected. I do believe in Gods and Goddesses, but I don't stay in one particular pantheon. I love energy work and working with candles and crystals the most.

You could read Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practioner, it isn't really about Wicca- it's about eclectic neo-paganism, but it sounds like you might like it.

The tricky thing about worshiping gods without sticking to one pantheon is that a lot of important information is left out of the books that gloss over the different gods and spirits. Like the Loa- Obatala should never be offered alcohol, and lots of other gods like offerings of alcohol- but few books ever tell you not to for Obatala- and that's a huge no no that can make some serious trouble.

Some gods don't want any animal products in their worship- some gods love having blood offerings.

Knowing the details is the difference between good service to the gods and self service.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:47 pm
Esiris
xMoonlitShadowsx

I think the best way to know about Vodou and Hoodoo is to talk to people who are initiated into it and practice seriously, instead of trying to read about it.

Quote:

You could read Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practioner, it isn't really about Wicca- it's about eclectic neo-paganism, but it sounds like you might like it.

The tricky thing about worshiping gods without sticking to one pantheon is that a lot of important information is left out of the books that gloss over the different gods and spirits. Like the Loa- Obatala should never be offered alcohol, and lots of other gods like offerings of alcohol- but few books ever tell you not to for Obatala- and that's a huge no no that can make some serious trouble.

Some gods don't want any animal products in their worship- some gods love having blood offerings.

Knowing the details is the difference between good service to the gods and self service.

Thank you, makes sense. I actually have read Cunningham's book. Pretty good smile  

xMoonlitShadowsx

Romantic Vampire

5,950 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:04 am
Ah yes, The Spiral Dance...that was fun wasn't it Sang? xp Kinda like pulling teeth without painkillers...still that book did one good thing for me - it showed me what to avoid in books (and sites too I suppose).  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 am
iKillCaustic--uKillMe
Ah yes, The Spiral Dance...that was fun wasn't it Sang? xp Kinda like pulling teeth without painkillers...still that book did one good thing for me - it sowed me what to avoid in books (and sites too I suppose).

It was... an education xd  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 am
Sanguina Cruenta
iKillCaustic--uKillMe
Ah yes, The Spiral Dance...that was fun wasn't it Sang? xp Kinda like pulling teeth without painkillers...still that book did one good thing for me - it sowed me what to avoid in books (and sites too I suppose).

It was... an education xd

Indeed it was.  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games