NFL Draft Day 1!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 pm
Well day 1 of the NFL draft is in the record books. As expected Quarterback Andrew Luck of Stanford went #1 overall to the Indianapolis Colts. Robert Griffin III went right afterwards as he was taken by Washington with the #2 spot.

Jacksonville made a huge splash in the draft, trading up to grab WR Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma at #5.

Other things that stood out on day 1, New England who normally trades down for more draft picks traded up this year, securing two picks in the first round. Grabbing DE Chandler Jones at #21, and ILB Dont'a Hightower at #25. The have two more picks tomorrow (One in the second and one in the third) then that is it. They can try to trade their second round pick for more picks down the line, we shall see. While last year was the year of the Quarterback, only 4 have been selected thus far, as the first round saw a lot of defensive players picked up.

Finally, my 49ers who selected WR A.J. Jenkins from Illinois at #30. At first I scratched my head with this selection. They picked up Moss and Manningham through free agency, I knew they would pick a WR at some point in the draft, but I didn't see it happening in the 1st round. But after thinking about it, I realized that Moss is a 1, maybe 2 year guy at best. And who knows how good or bad he may play. Will we see the old Moss? Or have another Braylon Edwards? Manningham has been a great #2 receiver for the Giants, but does he or Crabtree step up and be the explosive #1 receiving threat they need? Jenkins has a lot of potential and is a great route receiver. Moss is a gamble, and if he doesn't work out, you have Jenkins ready to be plugged in there. Even if Moss does work out, one or two years tops and he's out, Jenkins represents the future, Moss does not.

Rounds 2 and 3 commence tomorrow, what are your guy's thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 pm
Fletcher Cox went first round, pick 12 to the...EAGLES?!?!?!?! DAG GUMMIT!!!! Well, at least it wasn't the Cowboys or worse...The Steelers...And the Ravens didn't even take a pick in the first! And why did everyone keep trading picks around like this was hot potato?!?! MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!!!  

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 pm
Your right about the trades, there were a lot of them in the first round. Very unusual.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 pm
Day 2 is done, Rounds 2 and 3 are in the books. I wasn't able to observe the draft today as I would have liked, but here's what stood out to me.

The Colts waisted no time in getting Andrew Luck support, they drafted one of his favorite targets, Coby Fleener from Stanford. This is a move that shows they are definitely building up for a strong team in years to come. Next season will have lots of growing pains, then again even Manning finished his first season in the NFL with more INT than TD passes.

The 49ers continue to baffle me with their selections. Jenkins in round 1 I can justify. But taking LaMichael James of Oregon in the second round has me scratching my head. The 49ers already have a strong/full backfield. I know the lifespan of running backs in the NFL is short lived, but they have 3 time Pro Bowler Gore, Superbowl winning Brandon Jacobs, 2nd year stand out Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon, and now James to add to the Mix. I figured Dixon would get the axe after Jacobs was picked up, but this is Running back overkill to me. The offense is the biggest area of concern for the 49ers, but I thought their biggest need on offense was at offensive line? I may be wrong, Harbaugh and company may have something up their sleeves that justifies these picks, but we will have to wait, maybe a couple of years to see what it is, if it even happens.

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

The NFL Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces