Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Peace between religions.... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 am
caesar821
Its a solid point and youre right. I just thought I could find enough people that think the same way. I'm optimistic and thought it would have gone over better.

There's nothing wrong with being optimistic. But I do agree with one of the points Morg brought up. Conflict can bring about change. And with change hopefully comes growth.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 am
caesar821

The thing is, the majority of people in this guild - at least, the regs - already get along swimmingly with most Christians we come across. In forums, anyway; I don't know who's a Christian and who isn't in Real Life because to bring it up would be a faux pas. So essentially you came in here to preach about peace between religions to people who get along fine with people from other religions. We have a Christian or two who pop in here from time to time. I for one respect quite a few Christians in M&R.

We already have peace; all you made was disruption by assuming from the get-go that there wasn't any.

In general terms, polytheists at least tend to be of a "live and let live" mindframe because it's easy to say "you worship your god and I'll worship mine, and we can all get along fine" and have no issues. Problems ensue when someone tries to get everyone to worship the same god as they do. As Morg mentioned, there are people who are coming out of negative experiences with Christianity, but there are also plenty of people who have been repeatedly pressured to give up their faith and worship another person's god. That sort of thing gets old quickly and can be pretty offensive. If you're looking for reasons why people are bitter about Christianity, having a series of poor experiences with Christians is one of them. Having prominent politicians try (and sometimes succeed) to remove your personal rights on the basis of their religious belief is another major one.

However, you did bring up, albeit inadvertently, Christian privilege which is an interesting subject.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:56 am
Sanguina Cruenta
The thing is, the majority of people in this guild - at least, the regs - already get along swimmingly with most Christians we come across. In forums, anyway; I don't know who's a Christian and who isn't in Real Life because to bring it up would be a faux pas. So essentially you came in here to preach about peace between religions to people who get along fine with people from other religions. We have a Christian or two who pop in here from time to time. I for one respect quite a few Christians in M&R.

We already have peace; all you made was disruption by assuming from the get-go that there wasn't any.

In general terms, polytheists at least tend to be of a "live and let live" mindframe because it's easy to say "you worship your god and I'll worship mine, and we can all get along fine" and have no issues. Problems ensue when someone tries to get everyone to worship the same god as they do. As Morg mentioned, there are people who are coming out of negative experiences with Christianity, but there are also plenty of people who have been repeatedly pressured to give up their faith and worship another person's god. That sort of thing gets old quickly and can be pretty offensive. If you're looking for reasons why people are bitter about Christianity, having a series of poor experiences with Christians is one of them. Having prominent politicians try (and sometimes succeed) to remove your personal rights on the basis of their religious belief is another major one.

However, you did bring up, albeit inadvertently, Christian privilege which is an interesting subject.

all of what you said is right, accurate and without proper reasoning. I thought I was doing the right thing but it blew up in my face because I was rash and ignorant in my own right. i just thought I was doing some extra good.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:29 pm
The people I dislike most are those who act like they're superior and hide behind their religion to do so. You being Christian does not make you superior to me. You being Pagan does not make you superior to me. It is not an excuse to be a piece of s**t toward other people.

I get along great with several people I know to be Christian, most of them are actually Catholic.. Doubt they know what religion I am, but I don't think it matters either way.
They're a human and, until they prove otherwise, an equal to myself. They are not their religion, they're another person.. and good people regardless of their beliefs.

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:46 pm
There really isn't much I can add here; you've realized your error in assuming everyone is American, and in bringing an old bit of news out, thinking it was new. Don't feel too badly, however; to err is human, and all that jazz. There's no one amongst us who hasn't made some mistake, whether it be religious misinterpretations, or otherwise.

Though the idea of peace is appealing in some ways, Morgandria, Sanguina, and a few others have brought up an interesting point. Sometimes, the flower that blooms through adversity is the most beautiful of them all (paraphrasing a quote from a movie, but it makes sense). In other words, all the hardships we face-including war-can serve to make us better people than we started out as. Don't misunderstand-I'd love if war was no longer an issue-but realistically, there will always be a war waged, for one reason or another. Sometimes it has to do with religion, and sometimes not.

I can get along with most anyone from any walk of life; the only issues I may have with someone is if they A) Try to shove their religion down my throat or B) have other personality conflicts with me that have nothing to do with religion/spirituality.

Just like not all Christians get along-even the ones within the same faith, such as Catholicism-not all Pagans necessarily get along, either. It's too wide a term to expect we'll all be buddy-buddy with one another.

Kage No Neko also said it well; your faith isn't suppose to be a reason to act holier than thou. Your faith is suppose to be your own personal path, one that gives you spiritual, emotional, and psychological growth in its own way. Everyone achieves this in their own way, or chooses not to achieve it (after all, not everyone feels the need to be part of a religion or spirituality; they are content with their own set of morals and ethics).

But regardless, don't kick yourself about it. Are you new to the guild? If so, welcome!  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games