Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply Language Learning - East Asia
Japanese Language Questions/Discussion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Houkou Ookami
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:06 pm
Hi all! This thread is for those of you who are reading my Japanese lessons. Feel free to post a little introduction if you're a student of Japanese, and of course be sure to ask plenty of questions! Also, if you have any comments or suggestions, or notice any typos, errors, broken links, etc. don't be afraid to tell me. I'd love to hear from you.

I'll also be keeping a list here for more advanced learners of fun Japanese sites to visit (since the "Resources" section of my guide is more for dictionaries, Japanese lessons, and other instructive things).

Popular Sites

ニコニコ動画
2ちゃんねる
pixiv
痛いニュース
痛い信者
暇人\(^o^)/通報
キニ速

News

読売新聞
朝日新聞
日経
NHK

Gaming

ファミ通
電撃

Fashion

fashion-j
FUKULOG

Tumblrs and Blogs

やる夫
私信

Other

NHK高校講座

Also, there is an amazing program out there called KeyHoleTV that lets you watch Japanese TV and listen to some Japanese radio stations--try it out!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:16 pm
I have a few questions, if I may.

1) Do we post lessons/exercises in here? It would save the actual thread from comments and leave it free for new learners so they don't have to go through hundreds of pages of other people's answers?

2) Is this only recommended to people who have already been studying Japanese, or can a new study get into your threads?

Lastly, I love your thread. It is very organized, and looks very professional. *I have not, yet, read through it. Wanted to ask a few questions first. smile *  

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100

Houkou Ookami
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm
Well, if by (1) you mean is this thread for learners to post about the lessons and exercises, then yes--no one but me should be posting anything in the actual thread. And about (2), this is for everyone! :] Just, the sites I posted above are for people who already have some Japanese experience and want to practice reading newspapers, browsing forums and such. Also, thank you--I'm glad you like what I have so far! I'm just about to get to actual grammar; so far it is only about the writing systems, but more will be there soon.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm
Yes, that is what I meant. Usually I see these sort of threads where the OP asks the students to post their answers in that one thread. smile

You're very welcome!

Alright! I can't wait to see the grammar part. That part is my second favorite thing about languages. xD

P.S

My sister is very, very interested Japanese. I will try and direct her to this guild and thread. smile  

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100

Houkou Ookami
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:03 pm
Hehe, I love grammar. To the point where I studied it far too much in the beginning and realised rather late that I knew ridiculous amounts of grammar, but had a pitiful vocabulary for someone who had been studying Japanese as long as I had. But over the last couple years I've been fixing that imbalance, since with grammar off my list of concerns, I've been able to focus mainly on reading lots and lots and lots (and lots) of things...

Ooh, I hope she joins! I'm always glad to have another student. :]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:22 pm
I'm reading over the grammar section of the thread right now. I'll need to re-read it, though, to fully grasp it, but I like how it handles the adjectives and the verb "to be". It kind of reminds me of Lakhota. heart  

MagitekElite

1,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100

Houkou Ookami
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 pm
Yay! I'm glad you like it. x3  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:18 pm
A quick announcement for all who are interested--I just put up the other half of the lesson on the first two particles, so that lesson is now complete. I'm also going to be creating shortly a "Supplementary Lessons" thread that will cover things like counting, addressing people, using kosoado words, etc. Essentially, anything that doesn't seem to fit naturally into the main lesson thread, which focuses on grammar. Enjoy~  

Houkou Ookami
Crew

Shiina-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 pm
I just wanted to say that KeyholeTV is an absolute gem. Thank you so much for bringing this program to my attention!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 pm
Glad I could be of help! Kazumasa makes fun of me for using it since the image quality is rather poor, but I love it anyway, haha.

P.S. to everyone:
Now that I'm back, I'm going to get to work again on lessons! I'll probably add some supplementary ones first (like on counting). If there's a specific topic anyone wants addressed, feel free to ask.

Houkou Ookami
Crew

Silverflame_Phoenix_Angel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 pm
しつもんがあります。
I have a little Japanese experience but I am having a bit of trouble making the connections between English and Japanese. I heard that teachers in America are using あなた in reference to the English "you," but it is mainly supposed to be used by a wife talking to her husband. Still I have also heard きみ means you as well, but has a more masculine use, however, I was told that it is not often used in modern Japan. Is there another word used in place of きみ or あなた?
ありがとうございます。  
Language Learning - East Asia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff