Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Inspiration
Faith with Works - encouragment for today

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
  not of works, lest anyone should boast.
View Results

Aoife

Beloved Worshipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 am
Put your money where your mouth is...

It's a common phrase meaning simply to put into action the things that you profess to believe. It doesn't have to mean money necessarily, just some action along with a belief.

The opposite is what we call a hypocrite. The definition of a hypocrite: 1) a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion, or 2) a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings.

James 2:14-17 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Faith without works is DEAD. That's pretty strong language, isn't it? I suppose that's fine if you serve a dead god, but the God we profess isn't dead! He is a living God, and His Word should be alive in us. (Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful, sharper than any two-edge sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joint and morrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I love to pray for people...I really do. I believe that God hears and answers prayers (Matt 21:22, among many many others) and I don't think that is a wasted or useless thing to do when people need whatever in their lives. (Fill in the "whatever", money, direction, healing, peace, help!) But prayer for people isn't enough on it's own. I pray because I have faith that it will be answered, but in light of the scripture in James above, that faith on it's own, and thus the corresponding prayer on it own isn't always enough. Sometimes you gotta have that action to match what you believe. Sometimes...more often than not actually...it will cost you something. Maybe money, maybe time, maybe action of some sort than may inconvenience you. Yes, we have heard it before, God isn't concerned about your comfort, He is concerned about your growth into His Image and character. That doesn't come naturally folks, and it isn't convenient.

I am not proposing we work ourselves silly, or get caught up in so many works we are substituting that for faith. We aren't the answer to everything, and we shouldn't try to get in the way of the One who IS the answer to everything. We aren't seeking glory for ourselves but only for Him.

I am not saying we should have less faith, but more Godly works...not less praying, but more serving. I don't want to just profess my faith, I want to possess my faith, and have it possess me.

The next time someone comes to you with a need, before you just shrug it off and pray for it, stop and ask yourself and God, "is there something practical I can do to help?" Sometimes there is and sometimes prayer is the best answer, but don't just assume it isn't you that God wants to use to help that person. Maybe today after reading this someone will come to you with a problem or issue...I am praying they are wink and show yourself available to God to be His hand extended here...even if it's not convenient.We gotta work this thing out...where the rubber meets the road in our faith journey.

Bless you all!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:52 am
He spoke the same message to my heart today. emotion_bigheart

If we believe our heavenly Father exists and claim to love him, then we should act like it: listen to his voice, carry-out what he tells you to do, follow the example of your older brother. Very simple. Our stumbling block is the pesky man-made traditions that say "continue living like the unsaved; it doesn't matter". That block was thrown out of my path as soon as I started studying the scriptures for myself. I pray that all who genuinely want to follow him in spirit and truth pick up the scriptures for themselves and study. May he give us abundant discernment, more than enough, to know when we should supplement prayer with action.  

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

ChristDied Dot Com

Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:17 pm
Amen. It reminds me of this verse:
_

Philippians 2:12

So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;
_

The thing is, it seems to me quite often that people forget the next verse:
_

Philippians 2:13

for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.
_

It is God who is at work in you both to will and to work. It isn't you, but Him in you causing you to not only work, but even to will! We are saved by faith alone, but how do you know you really have faith? A genuine faith will be followed by works! Faith by itself is dead because it isn't a genuine faith: a genuine faith will be demonstrated by works! If someone is really saved, then they will have works that demonstrate their profession of faith. If they have none, they are merely professors, not actual believers. I was one of those most of my life. I think we should take in what Matthew 7 teaches:
_

Matthew 7:21-23

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’

“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:27 am
I must say that this is a great subject that is important to understand. It's great that scripture falls into place perfectly to tell us that faith alone is useless and needs works, too. Faith without works is dead and works without faith, is also dead. 3nodding

Also, I do agree with that, and agree with instead of saying, "I'll pray for you, brother." try to go beyond that thought and put in some effort to see if you can truly help with their situation. I read this same verse last night and it hit home. It's truly a fantastic one:

James 2:15 - 17 NIV:

Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Inspiration

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items