Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Panel help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxXCursed DreamsXxX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 am
Hello, I hope this is in the right place. sweatdrop

A few friends and myself are in the process of planning a panel for a smaller convention near Pittsburgh, and the cosplayer in charge has gone over the top and is planning all sorts of elaborate things to go with this panel. We are all cosplaying from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (I am Nagato) and would like the panel to be focused on this anime. However, panels tend to be short, and "Haruhi" is planning something which would take over an hour, with WAY too much research involved.

Any ideas to keep me from going crazy?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:31 am
ℳουs℩ɛ sɑɥs:

Possibly, to start with what specifically are you planning on the panel focusing on?

And what is your friend trying to do for the panel?

Depending on the specific topic of the panel sometimes the planning for the panel may take a while.
I know it seems like a lot but if you answer these questions so I know more about what you are doing the more I can try to help you.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MadHatterzMouse

Magical Librarian

51,525 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Ouja Akuma

Wealthy Genius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:22 pm
Oh dear, I made the same mistake with my first panel by making it too elaborate.
Lets just say, it didn't turn out too well [despite a huge turn out].

If it's a specific panel [debate, how-to, etc], then focus mainly on that. For a debate [I run a debate panel myself], have a few topics on hand to ask and give plenty of time for people to talk about it and such. And let other people ask questions or share something to have others talk about that as well. Then, it becomes a really host-guest hands/words on panel and those typically get praised well [and they get excited to return for next years].

If it's an information panel [saying what the series is about, characters, seasons, etc], then make it really short [no spoilers] so it can go by quickly [since most panel run time is an hour, unless you ask for more but the make is 3 hours unless it's an event].

Depending on what exactly your panel is about, it can go horribly wrong. Make sure your "Haruhi" keeps you guys informed with what she wants to do. If something doesn't suit right with you [or others], or it's even something unrelated to what you're panel is about, voice up. I've had to leave a few panels I was asked to join because it just didn't work out with the panel-head and myself [communication is an amazing thing, even at conventions].

What exactly is she planning, btw? If you know?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:54 am
Well speech teachers always ask you to time yourself for practice. Maybe you should time her too. Get the whole group to sit down and practice with an alarm clock or a stop watch. Then when it goes over time say 'hey we're still going, we should have started the end ten minutes ago'. Make sure that she understands that you'd love to be able to do this stuff, but there is no time and you want to becareful about what you're bringing to the con. She may get defensive about it if you don't assure her own feelings.

I've been lucky so far. I haven't gone over panel time yet with any of my three panels, but I practiced with them and didn't think of every little thing that I could do.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers