Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Prettiest languages? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Odetotheoterprincess

Distinct Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:47 am
Okier - chan
The_Brightest_Moon
Okier - chan
I'd agree with Japanese ^^
I also enjoy Ukrainian, Parisian Dialect of French (smoother than Quebecois), Urdu, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

The language I grew up with is rather.... harsh. Lots of as I say hissing and choking sounds ;;

What language?

Nisga'a. http://www.firstvoices.com/en/Nisgaa <- has some voice clips.
You'll understand what I mean about it being a little harsh.
The accents are hard to get if you're new at learning it. I have an advantage
with that because my granny used to refuse to to talk to me in English ;;

Awesome  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:00 pm
Ukrainian is almost like very sing-songy Russian to me :3

Welsh is very pretty as well. I find Estonian also quite nice. Japanese is also up there on my list.  

Asunara Wisdom

Dapper Explorer

3,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

AkaTsuki-chan

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 am
listening to someone speak Brazilian Portuguese is like listening to music.

Welsh and Ukrainian are also very pretty.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm
Finnish sounds really beautiful - especially in song.
Same with French... I've always had an affinity for French and how it sounds. (I squee'd over hearing a French accent in German, was so neat!)

If the novelty hadn't long since worn off, I'd have also said that German sounds very pretty, too - but by now, er... it's "everyday" to me. Although I really like how German sounds in Rock and Heavy Metal - the language lends itself very well, and the pleasure and novelty of the language comes back for me then.

I also have a thing for the sound of Dutch, both spoken and sung.... and Russian, thinking about it.

Then, of course, oriental languages really have something beautiful to them.

I dunno, I'm probably impressed by the sound of about any language!  

Blade Lorenz

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:53 pm
Warlpiri. It has less than 3000 speakers, which makes it very rare, and therefore more beautiful. People 100 years from now may not get the chance to hear it, and that is what makes it interesting. English, Spanish, and Mandarin will all be around probably even 500 years from now.

This is what the language sounds like

I also like Inuktitut. It is another dying language with about 120 000 speakers in Canada, being the second largest native language in Canada.

Also, the language is polysynthetic, meaning it is made up as roots and affixes as opposed to words  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:36 pm
I might be a little Eurocentric in my preferences, but...

-Norwegian
-Swedish
-Dutch
-Italian
-Spanish (spoken best in song)
-German
-Faroese
-Icelandic
-Finnish

Mors Morza

Hallowed Foe

11,200 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Streaker 200
  • Tycoon 200

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:09 pm
I like Japanese first (cause of anime) xd , then I had fascination for Thai (Those cute thai commercial and movies! heart ), French ( Paris, Classy, Marie Antonette, Les Mis need I say more?), Spanish ( Well mostly because its a language I could somehow relate to) , Italian (They're opera and musicals) and now Russian (That Katyusha song sang by school children in anime made me cry crying ).  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:29 pm
Japanese is def up there. I do like the way german sounds though.

I can't stand quebec french though. I have customers that speak it at work. It sounds like something that might come out of you mouth if someone hit you in the neck.  

buggsie blue

RickdalTheGreatest

3,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 pm
Okier - chan
The_Brightest_Moon
Okier - chan
I'd agree with Japanese ^^
I also enjoy Ukrainian, Parisian Dialect of French (smoother than Quebecois), Urdu, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

The language I grew up with is rather.... harsh. Lots of as I say hissing and choking sounds ;;

What language?

Nisga'a. http://www.firstvoices.com/en/Nisgaa <- has some voice clips.
You'll understand what I mean about it being a little harsh.
The accents are hard to get if you're new at learning it. I have an advantage
with that because my granny used to refuse to to talk to me in English ;;
AWESOME!!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:19 am
zhiliolia
Warlpiri. It has less than 3000 speakers, which makes it very rare, and therefore more beautiful. People 100 years from now may not get the chance to hear it, and that is what makes it interesting. English, Spanish, and Mandarin will all be around probably even 500 years from now.

Isn't this language really unusually weird with regards to it's nouns[or rather verbal nouns?]

Quote:

I also like Inuktitut. It is another dying language with about 120 000 speakers in Canada, being the second largest native language in Canada.

Also, the language is polysynthetic, meaning it is made up as roots and affixes as opposed to words

More accurate would be it's made up of sentence like words, made up of varied roots and affixes.
But i digress these are awesome languages?  

RickdalTheGreatest

3,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:01 pm
RickdalTheGreatest
zhiliolia

Isn't this language really unusually weird with regards to it's nouns[or rather verbal nouns?]

Quote:

More accurate would be it's made up of sentence like words, made up of varied roots and affixes.

I like the way they sound  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:20 am
zhiliolia
RickdalTheGreatest
zhiliolia

Quote:

I like the way they sound

Me too but their also structurally quite interesting.  

RickdalTheGreatest

3,675 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items