Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply The Sims 3
The Sims on Steam

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Emradrig

Aged Healer

9,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm
Does anyone have the steam version of The Sims 3? I've seen it on sale for 66% off and that is a pretty nice bargain but I already have 3 or 4 or the expansions and if it's not compatible I would probably have to buy them all again.
Does anyone know for certain whether or not they are compatible?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:20 am
The sale was just about to end so I tried just downloading one expansion to see if it would work. It gave me a valid key for the game. I was able to register it with Origin and download a copy that was compatible with what I already had,
I haven't tried using the steam version of it yet though. lol  

Emradrig

Aged Healer

9,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Healer 50

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 am
I don't know how compatible the different versions are but I have heard that the Steam versions have a different installation directory and have their own patches seperate to the ones available on thesims3.com.
I can't confirm or deny this info though because I buy all of my games on disks.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am
I was gifted a copy on sale, and also snagged a couple expansion packs. (: It was awesome. My only regret is I couldn't snag more, but I only let myself buy as much as a normal full video game would cost. Maybe during the summer sale, I'll be able to grab some more (or have it gifted, haha).

It seems to play just fine, but I haven't tried patching from the website. I've patched from the launcher, but that's it.

Edit: In fact, I just booted it up and got an update via steam that had been posted on the website.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

The Sims 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces